Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

loaner findings

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15, 05:09 AM
thholr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loaner findings

So I dropped my car off today for my 40K mile oil change, the new SRS recall work and to replace the metal trim pieces for the seatbelt dings.
I wanted to share some thoughts on the loaners. First off, folks really dont take care of the loaners. I dont understand this. Why would I treat them any different than my own car. I dont understand why they are so beat up. Maybe folks just treat their cars like this. My other big issue was that all the previous loaner folks paper work was still in the car. So there is a stack of 10 people drivers license number, DOB, address and name. Lexus should really check this and dispose of them. This is a HUGE security risk.

They first gave me an IS 250 as a loaner. While I think the car looks pretty sharp on the outside, the inside is a huge letdown. There are way too many different shapes and textures on the inside. I do not like how high the start button is on the dash. I just couldnt get used to it . The gear shifter has a strange flat shape that doesnt fit in your hand very well. The material they use on the center console feels very cheap. The radio buttons look very cheap as well. It is all a little disappointing. On a positive note though, the handling was pretty good and so are the brakes. Was impressed with that. I also like the change in feel of sport vs normal driving modes. Sport really made the care feel energetic.

I then traded it in for something bigger since I was going to have to keep it for 3 days. They gave me an RX 450 Hybrid which I am still driving. I like the car much better. The materials seem a notch better than the IS. the ergonomics feel much better as well. This is my first time drivng a hybrid and I have some mixed feelings about that. It feels perfectly normal except when you first go. That is probably my biggest complaint. When you pull out in traffic, I feel like there is a little lag between it using electic drive and the engine kicking in. This makes me very nervous when you first merge. After that everything is fine. The only other real complaint I have is that the leather is very cheap. The car has 3000 on it and the drivers seat has a lot creases in it already. I noticed the same thing on our new Toyota Sienna as well. I think Toyota should spend a few extra dollars on the leather because that is a big deal. The most impressive thing is that even with all the driving I am still averaging 27.6 MPG in city driving. Compared to the 19 or so I get in the GS that is really impressive. I do like this car, but I think I would buy the 350 over the hybrid. Considering that it is at the end of its life cycle , it is still a very nice car. The new one should be very good.
Old 03-29-15, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

To answer your question about why people treat loaners that way, they treat their own cars that way too.

I detailed cars in another life, and you would be shocked how people treat cars far more expensive than any Lexus. Terrible.
Old 03-29-15, 03:15 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in a loaner Lexus for the past month now (I hate my car), and I treat my loaner like a baby. Never floor it, never slam the brakes or doors, and never blast the stereo. I don't wash it myself because then I might fall in love with it (2015 ES350). I do keep the interior clean though.

On a side note, the first ever lexus loaner that I got, had melted chocolate all over the headliner, vanity mirror and that abyss between the seat and center console. Also a used condom wrapper in the rear seat on the driver side now this loaner I kept floored the entire way back to the dealer. Come to think of it...those chocolate stains could have been blood....I returned the car the same day and got a new one.