Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2015 Fiat 500C Abarth Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2015 Fiat 500C Abarth Automatic

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...th-quick-spin/

Engine: Turbo 1.4L I4
Power: 157 HP / 183 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Auto
Drivetrain: Front-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Front
Curb Weight: 2,545 LBS
Seating: 2+2
MPG: 24 City / 32 HWY
Base Price: $26,395
As Tested Price: $32,095

"I would not, could not in a tree. Not in a car, you let me be. I do not like them in a box. I do not like them with a fox. I do not like them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam-I-Am."

Why am I quoting Dr. Seuss' classic children's tale in the review of a small Fiat? Well, much like oddly colored eggs and ham, for the 500C Abarth, Fiat has taken something formerly palatable and added a rather bizarre quality – a six-speed automatic transmission.

"I do not like an auto trans," I said. "I'd only drive it in a van." What would happen to the 500 Abarth's hilariously charming and flawed character? Isn't an automatic gearbox diametrically opposed to the cheap and cheerful driving pleasure inherent in the scorpion-badged Cinquecento? After a week behind the wheel, I was shocked to find that the auto Abarth is nearly as entertaining as its clutch-equipped counterpart.

Driving Notes
  • The Aisin six-speed automatic is beefed up for the higher torque of the hot 500 Abarth, and the final drive ratio is shorter. Despite the Abarth's spicier character, the shifter retains the same PRNDL pattern and piano-black surround as the standard 500. While I laud Fiat for offering a correct shifter layout to the manual-shifting scheme – pull to upshift and push to downshift – that smart move is overshadowed by the lack of wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
  • There's not much else to complain about with the new automatic, because on the road it delivers similar performance to the five-speed manual. Upshifts are smooth and quick in the standard setting, and only get sharper if you push the Sport button on the dash. On top of that, wide-open-throttle upshifts show off the sonorous voice of the Abarth-tuned exhaust. It pops and cracks and belches in a horribly, hilariously anti-social way. I love it.
  • The twin pipes are just as vocal on the rev-matched downshifts. The gearbox isn't as quick to drop ratios as some of its two-pedal competitors, like the dual-clutch-equipped Volkswagen GTI or even the traditional automatic offered in the Mini Cooper S (coincidentally also an Aisin unit). That said, the difference isn't significant enough to count as a major demerit.
  • One minor change with the transmission is the power output. While the manual model has 160 horsepower, the auto drops to 157. Torque, though, is up from 170 pound-feet to 183 lb-ft. The added twist might make something of a difference on a stopwatch, but I didn't notice much via the seat of my pants.
  • In terms of refinement, the automatic Abarth still doesn't hold a candle to the hot hatches mentioned previously, but it's much more civilized than the stick-shift car. With the prominent exhaust note and one less ratio the manual is, to be polite, utterly obnoxious at highway speeds. At 70 miles per hour, the engine in the automatic spins at a reasonable 2,300 rpm instead of about 3,000 in the manual.
  • Highway fuel economy drops by four miles per gallon, while the city economy falls 2 mpg. That means 24 mpg city, 32 highway for those keeping score. My average was a bit lower than the city number, although we weren't surprised considering how much we revved the Abarth to hear that exhaust.
  • The single most impressive thing about the automatic-equipped 500 Abarth is not its driving dynamics or improved refinement. It's the fact that even sans clutch, this Italian's wonderful personality is wholly unaffected. I spent a full week at the helm, and with spring in bloom, the canvas roof peeled back, Sport mode engaged and the console-mounted shifter slotted into manual mode, I simply couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Until I looked at the price tag.
  • As we explained in our original Quick Spin on the 500C Abarth, it's kind of expensive. With a starting price of $26,395 (the hardtop is $4,000 less), an extra $1,350 for the six-speed auto and an $900 destination charge, you're looking at dropping at least $28,645 just to get rolling. This tester added a $700 Beats Audio Package (which isn't loud enough with the top down at highway speeds), the $900 Comfort and Convenience Package (automatic temperature control, single-stage heated front seats and SiriusXM satellite radio), $250 black headlight housings, $450 black mirror caps and body stripes, a $600 TomTom navigation system and $550 for those handsome 16-inch wheels. Total price out the door is $32,095.

I'll admit, I found the mere thought of an automatic Fiat 500 Abarth to be distasteful. An automatic gearbox has the potential to compromise the charm of a sporty car, even in today's world of super-quick automatics and dual-clutch units. But that's not the case with the 500 Abarth. The six-speed auto hardly sacrifices performance or character. To paraphrase Dr. Seuss, "I do so like this auto trans. Thank you. Thank you, Sergio M."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/27/2...k-spin-review/
Old 03-27-15, 10:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$32k?!?

Really?!?

Old 03-27-15, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Abarth...
Old 03-27-15, 10:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
$32k?!?

Really?!?

No bother, they always have healthy incentives.
Old 03-27-15, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

While the reviewer spent most of the time in the article simply explaining why he was (now) convinced by the 6-speed automatic, he left out perhaps he most important reason....today's clearly overcrowded roads in so many places. Traffic congestion, and the proliferation of stop signs, traffic-lights, speed-bumps, etc..... is what is relegating traditional 3-pedal manuals to history. Three-pedal manuals are also traditionally harder to tune for emissions-compliance without annoying features on them that keep the throttle partly-open while shifting....though this has been made easier lately from increasingly sophisticated engine-computers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-27-15 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 11:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

unless i did letter deliveries for a living in a city, i wouldn't be caught dead in this speed bump.
Old 03-27-15, 11:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

What's the reason for such a huge drop in city/highway MPG? It has more low end torque than the previous engine, and the highway RPM dropped, yet it's less efficient overall?
Old 03-27-15, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
What's the reason for such a huge drop in city/highway MPG? It has more low end torque than the previous engine, and the highway RPM dropped, yet it's less efficient overall?
If you're talking about their actual observed mileage, compared to official EPA testing, I think two big factors come into play. One is their own driving style (which is probably typical of enthusiasts), with big RPM-swings on the tach, and the other is the extremely cold winter over most of Eastern North America (assuming that is where the car was tested). In general, all else equal, the colder the air temperatures, the lower the gas mileage.
Old 03-27-15, 05:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you're talking about their actual observed mileage, compared to official EPA testing
I'm comparing the EPA ratings of the manual vs auto. Manual is 28/34, auto is 24/32. The manual gets better highway MPG even though the engine is screaming at 3,000rpm vs 2,300 for the auto. It just doesn't add up, unless the auto transmission is less efficient.
Old 03-27-15, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm comparing the EPA ratings of the manual vs auto. Manual is 28/34, auto is 24/32. The manual gets better highway MPG even though the engine is screaming at 3,000rpm vs 2,300 for the auto. It just doesn't add up, unless the auto transmission is less efficient.
OK.....in that sense, you've got an interesting question. I probably can't answer it without knowing if the manual and automatic versions use different (or different-brand) tires of varying rolling resistance (the higher the resistance, the lower the MPG), and/or seeing not just the maximum HP/torque figures at RPM but also the engine's entire HP/Torque-curve.....in other words, how much the HP/torque changes as RPMs rise or fall. How much torque and HP the engine makes at any given speed (and what transmission gear it is in) determines how hard you will have to press on the gas pedal to maintain that constant cruising speed for the EPA test, and, therefore, its gas-consumption. An engine that is considered "peaky", with a narrow torque curve, will be sluggish at lower speeds, requiring lots of throttle-pressure (and downshifting) for acceleration, but have plenty of reserve power at higher engine speeds. A broad torque curve, on the other hand (which is what most Americans generally prefer) offers quick acceleration at lower speeds with little downshifting, but can start to run out of breath at higher RPMs, affecting how much throttle-pressure will be needed to maintain cruise-speeds. Not being an engineer or a physicist myself, that's about all I can say at this point without further knowledge of the car's programming and torque-curve differences (if any) between the manual and automatic models.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-27-15 at 08:19 PM.