Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 05:09 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesla Model 3

I searched around for a thread on this, but couldn't find anything. If one does exist, can the mods please move my post there and delete this?

Anyway, I know that Tesla is hoping to release the Model 3 by 2018 with a starting price of $35,000.

Assuming that this price is for the Model 3 with a 60 kWh battery, will there be a Model 3 85 (85 kWh battery) and a Model 3 P85D (85 kWh Performance)?

The Model S starts at $69,900 with the 85 starting at $79,900 and the P85D at $104,500. Using the same percentage jumps in price between these 3 trims, I'm predicting that if the Model 3 60 does start at $35,000, the Model 3 85 will start at $40,000 and the Model 3 P85D start at $52,500.

Are these numbers possible for the release of this car, or is this just wishful thinking?
Old 03-26-15, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

since it's 3 years away i'd say numbers are meaningless at this point.
Old 03-26-15, 09:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Correct. And 2018 seems a bit optimistic. The Model X was postponed too
Old 03-27-15, 08:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing leads me to believe it will cost $35k... I know that's what they have said, but I'm just not as optimistic I guess.
Old 03-28-15, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

$35K is optimistic I agree, probably more like $40-45K, however even if it was $35K that would be base base base. I don't see it any differently than the CLA or CT, advertising that the cars are $29,XXX and then loading with options (both Benz and Lexus have since added to the base price). The model 3 typically equipped will likely run $50-60K once options are factored in
Old 03-28-15, 06:18 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

For a nice M3/4 or RC- F we are talking $70K these days.

I can't see musky tusky givin a Model 3 with P85D power and AWD for $52.5 but wouldn't that be something.
Old 03-28-15, 07:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
$35K is optimistic I agree, probably more like $40-45K, however even if it was $35K that would be base base base. I don't see it any differently than the CLA or CT, advertising that the cars are $29,XXX and then loading with options (both Benz and Lexus have since added to the base price). The model 3 typically equipped will likely run $50-60K once options are factored in
i think they should focus on higher end of the market by offering more tech and effortless performance, rather $35k entry point... but maybe they want it to be huge seller worldwide... they do have some unbelievable "targets" for sales, so this might be their sales king.
Old 03-29-15, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think they should focus on higher end of the market by offering more tech and effortless performance, rather $35k entry point... but maybe they want it to be huge seller worldwide... they do have some unbelievable "targets" for sales, so this might be their sales king.
I agree they should focus on upper echelon cars. Once consumers get a taste of 'cheaper' there goes their credibility when they decide to make a million dollar EV supercar
Old 03-29-15, 01:00 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree they should focus on upper echelon cars. Once consumers get a taste of 'cheaper' there goes their credibility when they decide to make a million dollar EV supercar
Well it's not that cheap. It's still higher than the "average purchase price" of a new car, isn't it? Besides, making a car that's a bit more accessible allows the cost to be spread over a larger number of vehicles as they can sell more at the lower price point (wonder how that'll affect Supercharger stations, particularly those that only have 4 or 6 stalls. Only 4 stations in Canada have 8 stalls and they're in Southern Ontario).
Old 03-29-15, 01:27 PM
RXSF

Superchargers pose an interesting situation for Telsa. They may have many number of stations around the country but it will be a problem when Tesla becomes more mainstream. I am guessing they are planning to create those battery swap stations in metropolitan areas before they will release their third model. I think they are also betting on increased battery capacity with technology in that area improving going down the line.
Old 03-29-15, 05:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well, cheaper the better but i think they should be profitable and right now they are not.
Old 03-29-15, 05:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Superchargers pose an interesting situation for Telsa. They may have many number of stations around the country but it will be a problem when Tesla becomes more mainstream. I am guessing they are planning to create those battery swap stations in metropolitan areas before they will release their third model. I think they are also betting on increased battery capacity with technology in that area improving going down the line.
i dont think SC are a problem at all... keep in mind that they are marketing designed to ease your worst fears about EV's - range anxiety and slow charging... they are not designed to be used by you daily, thats how they are placed. Battery tech is not going anywhere at all, according to Tesla... I mean their plans for gigafactory by 2020 have same tech as today... and i doubt they will invest in gigafactory by 2020 just to change the tech few years after that.

So any EV owner will use other public chargers far more than SC's, and their number is growing fast, which is the most important part.
Old 03-29-15, 08:50 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think SC are a problem at all... keep in mind that they are marketing designed to ease your worst fears about EV's - range anxiety and slow charging... they are not designed to be used by you daily, thats how they are placed. Battery tech is not going anywhere at all, according to Tesla... I mean their plans for gigafactory by 2020 have same tech as today... and i doubt they will invest in gigafactory by 2020 just to change the tech few years after that.

So any EV owner will use other public chargers far more than SC's, and their number is growing fast, which is the most important part.
When they make the superchargers free, they are making it a problem. The supercharger near me is always full and I think tons of people take advantage of them so they dont have to charge with their wallet
Old 03-30-15, 06:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

the problem i have from a business standpoint with tesla is they seem to have fallen into "we'll lose a dollar (or a bunch) on every car, but make it up in volume" trap

everything about tesla is HUGELY expensive to do. the cars, the batteries, the software, the nasty chemicals and materials involved, the superchargers (including land purchase/lease) and they're still only selling TINY numbers of vehicles.

now of course the tiny number is somewhat understandable when their only 'volume' vehicle is probably an average $70k+ sticker price.

but i want tesla to succeed, especially in being able to sell direct. for those who think that's a bad idea, well apple stores didn't stop best buy still selling apple products. almost all car dealers today SUCK. they lie, they cheat, they have horrible marketing, but apart from that they're great. why do they do these things? because they can and the law protects them.
Old 03-30-15, 08:14 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
When they make the superchargers free, they are making it a problem. The supercharger near me is always full and I think tons of people take advantage of them so they dont have to charge with their wallet
I totally agree with you and also feel that people who take there cars regularly to supercharger stations are really inconsiderate of other people who may really need it just to save what $10? What also bugs me is that these people spend like $100k for a Tesla and cheap out on electricity. Its like buying a Lamborghini and trying to save some gas by driving exclusively in ECO mode.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3