Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Announces New Vehicle Platforms

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15, 01:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The realm of it may be worthy and all encompassing, but the lagging is pathetic and something nearly everyone has already beat them to. Case in point:

"Honda announces new line of Earth Dream engines..."
"Ford announces new line of Ecoboost engines..."
"GM set to introduce a new 2.0T engine across the line..."
"VW/Audi produces new 1.8T engine to fill out lesser models..."

BTW, are we going to see the extra 20-50% savings in manufacturing as savings in our pockets off the sticker price? LOL to that. This translates to comsumer benefits as well as GM cancelling their 10 year warranty and saying there was no customer demand for it. How we benefit from all these things I'd like to learn more about.

The thing is here, I don't jump for joy when I read these glorious headlines. Toyota is no more almighty than any other manufacture. Where they really stand out is reliability and that's where and why I bank with them.
Indeed. Not to mention Mazda who's already out ahead with their SkyActiv technology from chassis to transmissions to engines. TNGA sounds similar to SkyActiv in terms of theory.
Old 03-29-15, 01:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Here's the press release from Toyota

http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/7225822/
Old 03-29-15, 01:31 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know how will Toyota build RWD cars like LS on FWD platform?
Old 03-29-15, 04:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
I would like to know how will Toyota build RWD cars like LS on FWD platform?
they wont... there will be RWD platforms for RWD cars, as usual.
Old 03-29-15, 04:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The realm of it may be worthy and all encompassing, but the lagging is pathetic and something nearly everyone has already beat them to. Case in point:

BTW, are we going to see the extra 20-50% savings in manufacturing as savings in our pockets off the sticker price? LOL to that. This translates to comsumer benefits as well as GM cancelling their 10 year warranty and saying there was no customer demand for it. How we benefit from all these things I'd like to learn more about.

The thing is here, I don't jump for joy when I read these glorious headlines. Toyota is no more almighty than any other manufacture. Where they really stand out is reliability and that's where and why I bank with them.
There are no glorious headlines, read the content of the articles to find out more info. Every article is full of details and every tech is coming within 6 months... Toyota isnt in business of doing fake PR, never did that.

If you are not willing to read the contents of articles, then there is no reason to comment... I dont think announcing 18 new engines to be released by the end of the year is insignificant or "same as everyone else".

If you think that, then you are not reading the articles.

As to the savings, they all trickle down to us... For instance, Safety Sense system is now starting to come to European market as "free" part of many vehicles or very small extra charge. It will come free with all Avensis models and all but fleet Auris model. And be $500 charge for cheaper vehicles... previously this system was available for $2000 and was less advanced and only for Lexus vehicles. No other manufacturer has this and nobody else is even announcing it.

As to Engines - so far we got 2.0t turbo which is proving to be a cracker in magazine reviews, getting 2-3 MPG better than competition in real life tests... so obviously it isnt the same? It might be the same on paper, but obviously just like every car isnt anything alike so the engines are not either. 1.2t has been announced to start production in 2-3 months, and we will see reviews of that - so far paper specs are awesome. Updated V6 is coming in Tacoma, and probably everything else, it will be announced in next week. V8 already is featured in RC-F, and they updated 1.0, 1.33 engines so far with Atkinson cycle and 2.0l also got D4S.

These things are what nobody else has and thats why we are discussing it.
Old 03-29-15, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Indeed. Not to mention Mazda who's already out ahead with their SkyActiv technology from chassis to transmissions to engines. TNGA sounds similar to SkyActiv in terms of theory.
TNGA is new platform... SkyActive is marketing name for Mazda's various engine optimizations... something that Toyota calls Optimal Drive in Europe.

They are not related, unless Mazda will build 40-50 models off single new platform? Only manufacturer thats doing this is VW, and I am sure VW forums were full of info (although VW did not update all of the engines at the same time).

As to engines, thats related and Toyota is calling their new engines ESTEC. Most advanced ones have atkinson cycle (VVT-iW), dual direct/port injection (D4S), cooled EGR and some have turbo.

VVT-iW and D4S are unique to Toyota... nobody else has these. Now that does not mean that they are automatically great, but so far 2.0t is turning out to be real good in comparo tests besting similar engines from JLR and Volvo that are all full of acronyms as well but did not show well in real life.
Old 03-30-15, 09:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
TNGA is new platform... SkyActive is marketing name for Mazda's various engine optimizations... something that Toyota calls Optimal Drive in Europe.

They are not related, unless Mazda will build 40-50 models off single new platform? Only manufacturer thats doing this is VW, and I am sure VW forums were full of info (although VW did not update all of the engines at the same time).

As to engines, thats related and Toyota is calling their new engines ESTEC. Most advanced ones have atkinson cycle (VVT-iW), dual direct/port injection (D4S), cooled EGR and some have turbo.

VVT-iW and D4S are unique to Toyota... nobody else has these. Now that does not mean that they are automatically great, but so far 2.0t is turning out to be real good in comparo tests besting similar engines from JLR and Volvo that are all full of acronyms as well but did not show well in real life.
No, SkyActiv is the name for the technology used to create a more efficient vehicle. It's not just the engines. It includes the transmissions (auto & manual) and chassis that have been given a once over to improve on strength, weight reduction and efficiency (in the case of transmissions and engines).

I did say "similar" not "this is exactly what Mazda's doing"

Yeah VW's been doing it for some time, hasn't it? Before this MQB platform came around?
Old 03-31-15, 05:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

BTW, are we going to see the extra 20-50%
you do realize how old hondas engines were before earth dreams, literally from the late 90s. A lot of their cars just got 6 speeds in recent years. The ILX had a 5 speed. Yet their earth dream engines are still behind engines lexus had in 2006.
Old 03-31-15, 07:09 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you do realize how old hondas engines were before earth dreams, literally from the late 90s. A lot of their cars just got 6 speeds in recent years. The ILX had a 5 speed. Yet their earth dream engines are still behind engines lexus had in 2006.
The only engine that came from Honda that I personaly like is the one that came on an Honda S2000. Every other Honda engine was a let down in tech and performance. And i felt that the cylinder managment is a step down in performance and smoothness. Hondas VCM is anything but smooth...i have test driven a few New Hondas with VCM and ended up back to Toyota or Lexus for my transportation needs. Simply put Honda Cylinder managments engagement was not a smooth affair.
Old 03-31-15, 10:00 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like all of the major car companies are moving to these modular platforms. Glad to see progress being made.
Old 03-31-15, 10:11 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota has just updated the Japanese Corolla Axio and Corolla Fielder and also the 1.5 liter gasoline engine with the VVT-IE technology. They've updated the hybrid powertrain, too.

http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/7349179/

Last edited by Ayberk; 03-31-15 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 10:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Their nav systems are even older lol. On the plus side, they allow inputs while vehicle is in motion. Toyota locks out the features.
Old 03-31-15, 11:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Honda, Toyota, and Nissan have all been stingy and lagged in mechanical innovation. Reliability and durability has softened the blow.