Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 02:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by balMaster
Engine built in China...
Toyota's AR 2.5L engines (including the 2AR-FXE) are built in Japan, China, Alabama, and Australia.

Same engineering. Different locations.
Old 12-01-15, 02:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Toyota's AR 2.5L engines (including the 2AR-FXE) are built in Japan, China, Alabama, and Australia.

as much as I know, Toyota does not export any parts from China, unlike Honda or GM.

And also, they dont produce their latest hybrid stuff there since they have to share info with their Chinese partners.
Old 12-01-15, 02:56 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
as much as I know, Toyota does not export any parts from China, unlike Honda or GM.

And also, they dont produce their latest hybrid stuff there since they have to share info with their Chinese partners.
Yes, this is what I thought too. I hope that window sticker was wrong. But I don't know how it can be wrong. I should have taken a picture.
Old 12-01-15, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, this is what I thought too. I hope that window sticker was wrong. But I don't know how it can be wrong. I should have taken a picture.
what model was it? Around 50% of US sold Rav4's are made in Japan... thats why they are raising the production in CA plant.
Old 12-01-15, 05:34 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
what model was it? Around 50% of US sold Rav4's are made in Japan... thats why they are raising the production in CA plant.
I'm not sure. I got so upset when I saw that, I didn't look any further and just left the lot. I might stop by later this week to take a picture of it.
Old 12-02-15, 03:25 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Digital Trends first drive,

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/20...4-first-drive/
Old 12-08-15, 04:19 PM
balMaster
Rookie

After all, I just didn't know. After some Googling, I found out built in China engines have been going around including Japan since at least 5 years ago. And they actually are problematic. Because of the problems, Toyota extended the warranty for those built in China engines from 5 year to 9 year (in Japan). It really makes me uncomfortable getting RAV4 Hybrid with built in China engines. I seriously was considering getting one, but not anymore.
Old 12-08-15, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Nice available safety features...

The 2016 RAV4 is one the first vehicles on which the Toyota Safety Sense is available. The system, which is standard on 2016 RAV4 Limited Hybrid) and available on XLE and SE grades, includes an automated pre-collision braking.
The TSS also includes forward collision warning, lane departure alert, automatic high beams, pedestrian pre-collision system and dynamic radar cruise control and standard blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert. The 2016 RAV4 hybrid also comes with convenience, entertainment and information features such as Smart Key that add convenience and security. Front and rear parking sonar helps make parking easier.
The RAV4 is available with a new Bird’s Eye View Camera with “Perimeter Scan.” Which uses four cameras that are mounted on the front, the side mirrors and rear of the vehicle to project a panoramic view of the vehicle’s surroundings on the central seven-inch touch display and offers a live rotating 360-degree view around the vehicle, helping the driver to see potential obstacles?

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015...a-rav4-hybrid/
Old 12-08-15, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Same engineering, perhaps, but same quality of assembly? I think balMaster may have a point.

After all, I just didn't know. After some Googling, I found out built in China engines have been going around including Japan since at least 5 years ago. And they actually are problematic. Because of the problems, Toyota extended the warranty for those built in China engines from 5 year to 9 year (in Japan). It really makes me uncomfortable getting RAV4 Hybrid with built in China engines. I seriously was considering getting one, but not anymore.
Old 12-08-15, 09:15 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

is the rav4 hybrid hitting dealers yet? it's still listed on toyotas site as "upcoming".
Old 12-09-15, 06:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
is the rav4 hybrid hitting dealers yet? it's still listed on toyotas site as "upcoming".
Yes, my local dealer has one.
Old 01-15-16, 02:07 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Test drove a new RAV4 Hybrid today, hoping to replace my present 2013 RAV4. The interior is almost identical to before, with some things slightly changed (cheaper). My main complaint about the present RAV4 was it's power, or lack thereof, especially be used to Toyco V6s. I had read about the reviews on how much improved acceleration was with the hybrid, without sacrificing mileage, and with a "e"AWD to boot. Needless to say, I am still not impressed. There is a slight hesitancy if you floor it off the line, before the torque kicks in and freeway merger is still a bit of a chore. Overall, I liked the exterior changes, but not as impressed with interior or powertrain. Guess will have to upgrade to the Highlander, NX, or the CH-R.
Old 01-31-16, 10:03 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't really compare V6 power to hybrid power.
Old 02-12-16, 07:47 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

How did the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid perform in AMCI’s Winter Testing?
Old 02-13-16, 06:38 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The RAv4 isn't the fastest of sharpest handling compact crossover but if you're looking for the reliable highway cruiser this is the CUV for you.

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid