Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

want some unbiased opinion on next car choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
What features does an ilx have that a gti won't ?
See my last post above. A 4/50 and 6/70 warranty....same as Lexus and Infiniti. And, in general, better customer-service.
Old 03-25-15, 06:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Fun-to-drive/appeal = GTI
Reliability/durability = ILX

Putting 22k miles/year, I'd want reliability above all else.
Old 03-25-15, 07:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I'm totally unbiased since I've never driven either and have no interest in either, but here's my .02:

I like the looks of the GTI better, and obviously from the responses it is the better driver. However, VW doesn't have a great reputation for reliability and you are a high-mileage driver.

The ILX looks fine, but it pretty much blends into the woodwork. However, I'm sure it will last a lot longer and have better technology than the GTI. Also, if you're coming from a Lexus the Acura dealership service should be closer to what you are used to.
Old 03-25-15, 11:23 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd go with the ILX
Old 03-26-15, 04:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Given that the OP is doing high miles I think a lot of people are putting reliability over comfort. But I can't stress enough how NVH on the highway isn't the ILX's strong suit. Why drive around with all that racket day in and day out?

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Just a few...

LED headlights, 8 way power seat,4 -way power passenger seat,rear-cross traffic alerts, lane keeping assist, forward collision mitigation, adaptive cruise control,multiview back-up camera,Tilt and telescopic steering wheel,Dual zone climate controls - driver and passenger,Memorized settings,Home Link Mirror,Blind Spot Monitors etc.
What are you talking about? The GTI can be equipped with:

12-way power seat
dual zone climate control
rain sensing wipers
panoramic sunroof
rear view camera
Keyless access
dynamic chassis control
forward collision warning
tilt/telescopic wheel
Home Link mirror

So in other words the GTI can be well equipped.
Old 03-26-15, 04:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Also I'll just leave this here:

Old 03-26-15, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Given that the OP is doing high miles I think a lot of people are putting reliability over comfort. But I can't stress enough how NVH on the highway isn't the ILX's strong suit. Why drive around with all that racket day in and day out?
Yes...I mentioned that as a possibly significant issue on my first reply to the OP. But we're still not talking about Jeep-Wrangler or Mazda-Miata noise levels, though, and, IMHO at least, part of that issue is compensated for by the ILX's generally better build quality and customer service....also important in a car that is going to get a lot of road miles.
Old 03-26-15, 08:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

You really think the ILX has better build quality than the GTI? According to the reviews that has been the GTI's strong suit.
Old 03-26-15, 08:33 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the GTI is the way to go vs the ILX, have you thought of a Mazda 3?
Old 03-26-15, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You really think the ILX has better build quality than the GTI? According to the reviews that has been the GTI's strong suit.
In terms of potential reliability down the road, yes. Acura traditionally is quite a bit above average in reliability, though older TL/Cls did have some noted transmission gremlins. I'll agree, the GTI, like some other VWs, does show some of the traditional German-car solidness in sheet metal and body-structure. But a granite-like structure in the frame/chassis and hardware does not always lead to better reliability. Given a choice between the two, in terms of potential reliability alone, with no other factors[ involved, and the Acura's substantially longer warranty and better customer service, I think the ILX is the safer choice in the long run. But there are many reasons for choosing a GTI as well. A friend of mine, for example, bought a brand-new one several weeks ago (yes, right in the middle of this lousy East Coast winter), and she loves its looks and driving feel...she was willing to take a chance on the reliability.....and her newly-found husband (congratulations to both of them) has a reliable vehicle for them to fall back on if her GTI does need repairs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-15 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-26-15, 08:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Ah I see- I consider build quality and reliability to be two separate topics of discussion.
Old 03-26-15, 08:57 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

the one thing worries me is VW's dealer service someone had brought up. not saying they're bad, but after been experiencing Lexus and Acura's (wife's TL) service the last 6 years, going to a VW dealer would be a significant downgrade in experience and service quality imo.
Old 03-26-15, 09:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd go with the ILX. The 2.4 and DCT is a slick combination
Old 03-26-15, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ah I see- I consider build quality and reliability to be two separate topics of discussion.
Well, of course, it depends on the car. But history has shown that some cars that seem to be built like tanks, from a perspective like thunk-door-closings and a lack of rattles/squeaks can, and sometimes do, have relatively poor reliability ratings for their time. A notable example (there are many more) are the German-derived Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique from the 1990s.
Old 03-26-15, 11:00 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd go with the ILX. The 2.4 and DCT is a slick combination
that's the reason i'm considering it. the draw back is, the '16 model is just a mmc, not a brand new generation. so in a couple years an brand new ILX will surface maybe with the Euro Civic Type R's 2.0 turbo. but the MK7 GTI is a new generation (at least here in the States).

Quick Reply: want some unbiased opinion on next car choices