Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

want some unbiased opinion on next car choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 06:19 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default want some unbiased opinion on next car choices

i had my eye set on the upcoming IS200T F-Sport as replacement for my IS350, however, now after thinking it through, i don't think i want to spend that kind of money on a high mileage commute car (i've been averaging 22k miles a year). so my potential choices as of now are between the '16 Acura ILX Premium, A-Spec, and 2015 VW GTI 4door SE with Performance package. both are about $32000 give and take. and each of them has their pros and cons. which one would you prefer to own as a daily driver?
Old 03-24-15, 08:14 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GTI gets my vote. It's the best premium hatchback available.
Old 03-24-15, 08:19 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Second the GTI. It seems like a great fun commuter car for the price. The new '16 ILX is definitely improved though but for a fun car the GTI has it beat hands down
Old 03-24-15, 08:28 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Third on the GTI. The ILX isn't improved enough.
Old 03-24-15, 08:47 PM
impruv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little biased since I drive the new GTI but it really depends what you're looking for. I believe the ILX will have slightly more bells and whistles but this new GTI is simply a blast to drive. Not to mention if you mod at all there are plenty of aftermarket support and... a tune + downpipe gets you to 300+ whp

Though of course with your annual high mileage, you would have to determine the (possibly) increased maintenance costs of a german car and the potential reliability concerns.
Old 03-24-15, 10:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
so my potential choices as of now are between the '16 Acura ILX Premium,
What about a Buick Verano? That is the ideal car to compare against an Acura ILX?
Old 03-24-15, 10:34 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks, keep 'em coming... yeah, ILX would be the safer bet but will definitely not as fun to drive as the GTI. i'm leaning toward the GTI personally, plus, being a hatchback would also come handy when i take out my 3 year old along with her stroller for a spin. i heard for the '16 model year VW is revamping the infotainment system including ditch the MDI for USB port, i would definitely wait for that. +1 for the easy software refresh on the GTI, i had a '06 Audi A3 before which was refreshed with APR stage 1, definitely worth the $$$.
Old 03-25-15, 05:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,362 Posts

want some unbiased opinion on next car choices
you definitely came to the wrong place then.

for huge commute miles, i'd get something very comfortable and quiet. if you don't want something big then the verano seems like a good choice. i'd also look at a hyundai sonata (yeah bigger, but best family sedan and value).

the gti is great if you're in town/city a lot (easy to drive/park), or drive a lot twisty roads and the hatch is nice, but it's not a particularly comfortable or quiet long distance cruiser. the infotainment system is awful, and i'd never buy a car with the check/plaid seats (i know you don't have to get those ).

for something really fun, you might also consider a genesis coupe.
Old 03-25-15, 05:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

With doing 22K per,I'd go ILX.
The GTI will be more fun to drive but the ILX will be more reliable and have more luxury features.
Old 03-25-15, 05:40 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thnk telling people to be unbiased is a fantasy. Whatever you;re smoking must be potent.
Using a vw as a commuter car not wise. Hate say it but only logical choice is the acura.
Old 03-25-15, 05:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you definitely came to the wrong place then.

for huge commute miles, i'd get something very comfortable and quiet. if you don't want something big then the verano seems like a good choice. i'd also look at a hyundai sonata (yeah bigger, but best family sedan and value).

the gti is great if you're in town/city a lot (easy to drive/park), or drive a lot twisty roads and the hatch is nice, but it's not a particularly comfortable or quiet long distance cruiser. the infotainment system is awful, and i'd never buy a car with the check/plaid seats (i know you don't have to get those ).

for something really fun, you might also consider a genesis coupe.
Ha--I was thinking the same thing. An internet forum is great to gather opinions; not so much if you want them to be unbiased.

Of your choices, I like the GTI. Personally, I like the Mini Cooper S in that category too, but the price can really creep up over a GTI.
Old 03-25-15, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Lots of recommendations from posters here for the GTI....and, from a driver-centered point of view, it is definitely a better choice than the ILX. A friend of mine, recently married, just bought a 5-door GTI, and she loves it. (she can fit in the narrow, highly-bolstered plaid-cloth sport-seats, I can't.)

But there's also another side to the coin. If you are driving 22K miles a year just on commuting alone (minus any other trips you put on it), you are going to go through VW's American-market 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty (5/60 powertrain) pretty quickly....probably within a year and a half. Some VW dealers provide free service during the first year or two...some don't. And, in general, although there are exceptions, VW service departments are not known for particularly good customer service.

In contrast, the ILX, despite its well-known shortcomings in refinement and road noise (road noise is a consideration if you are going to spend a lot of time in it each day) not only is better-built from the factory, but also carries Acura's 4/50 bumper-to-bumper and 6/70 drivetrain warranties (the same warranty as Lexus and Infiniti)...substantially longer than VWs. You might not get free service, but you will have a car that will (likely) be more reliable in the long run and better-covered by the factory.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-15 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 06:23 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
With doing 22K per,I'd go ILX.
The GTI will be more fun to drive but the ILX will be more reliable and have more luxury features.
What features does an ilx have that a gti won't ?
Old 03-25-15, 06:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
What features does an ilx have that a gti won't ?
Just a few...

LED headlights, 8 way power seat,4 -way power passenger seat,rear-cross traffic alerts, lane keeping assist, forward collision mitigation, adaptive cruise control,multiview back-up camera,Tilt and telescopic steering wheel,Dual zone climate controls - driver and passenger,Memorized settings,Home Link Mirror,Blind Spot Monitors etc.
Old 03-25-15, 06:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

For the reasons mentioned above, I've never understood the "what should I get" types of theads.

Quick Reply: want some unbiased opinion on next car choices