Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2015 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 01:39 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each is own

But from what I know, diamond-quilted seat interior is only available on the 12 cylinder models (so that means the S63 doesn't have it).

And for me, I see luxury as more = better.

Which is probably why I prefer the Bentley Continental GT Speed W12 more than the Continental GT V8 S.

Same with the Merc.

Just my opinion
Old 03-26-15, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Any 65 AMG car is simply: Why Not.

Doesn't have to make sense.

Their existence simply strengthens the Benz name and solidifies both Make and Model in automotive history and the hearts of enthusiasts
Old 03-26-15, 03:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
To each is own

But from what I know, diamond-quilted seat interior is only available on the 12 cylinder models (so that means the S63 doesn't have it).

And for me, I see luxury as more = better.

Which is probably why I prefer the Bentley Continental GT Speed W12 more than the Continental GT V8 S.

Same with the Merc.

Just my opinion
You can actually get the designo interior for a S550 coupe with the diamond quilted and full leather treatment same as the S65, for only a few thousands more, yes I actually configured it that way on Mercedes Canada website.
Old 03-26-15, 04:15 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Any 65 AMG car is simply: Why Not.

Doesn't have to make sense.

Their existence simply strengthens the Benz name and solidifies both Make and Model in automotive history and the hearts of enthusiasts
Exactly ! Somebody needs to car care about the true car enthusiasts as well There are already way to many cars like S 300 CDI ( 4 cyl 204 hp ) around today.
Old 03-27-15, 01:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You can actually get the designo interior for a S550 coupe with the diamond quilted and full leather treatment same as the S65, for only a few thousands more, yes I actually configured it that way on Mercedes Canada website.
Ah I see.

Still for me, money is no object when you're into something like this.

I mean if you have the dough, why settle for only Premium Economy or Business Class..........when you could GO ALL THE WAY TO FIRST CLASS

Why stop mid-way..........when you can go ALL THE WAY
Old 03-27-15, 03:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Well , i usually travel business class even though I can "afford" first class, it's not worth it to pay the premium for what you get by a LONG shot, unless company is paying for it.
I consider it gross misuse of resource which I can put to better use somewhere else. NOTE THAT I NEVER said the 65 AMG's should not exist. They are just not nearly compelling enough for me to pay the premium that they are asking for , and I can never get myself to choose it on principle alone.

I love travelling as much as I love cars and don't mind spending on it , but I will give you this example.
Say we fly from Canada to Australia (an approx. 20 hour flight) to board a cruise ship to cruise Australia and NewZealand. I would fly business class at most. Because the difference in airfare alone if you fly first class will be enough to pay for the cruise itself, and for what ? Yes you have more space on the plane, better food and alcohol inclusive, but it's not that business class is not comfortable enough where you can lie down and sleep for the trip, plus we are not drinkers and it's airline food anyway , so what's the big deal with first class that I should care enough to pay a big wasteful premium for ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-27-15 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

We know Steve Jobs drive SL55 (surely he has many other cars and can afford a SL65)
i don't think steve jobs is driving anything these days.

IF you have read about Billionaires like Bill Gates who can give away billions to charity, but at the same time, he won't throw away money needlessly if he can do something for free or at a more reasonable price.
i'll see your bill gates and raise you larry ellison, who isn't 'sensible'.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
See, you're moving the goalposts for what is considered "sensible." It's all relative to your personal judgement. Warren Buffet might think buying an S-class coupe is not sensible in the first place. Another billionaire might think an S550 is good for the soul but that S65 is an exercise in conspicuous excess. A third guy might love his S65 AMG and may think Warren Buffett's private jet is absurd and definitely not sensible. Hell, an S65 AMG buyer might even be thinking their car is more reasonable then a similarly priced Bentley Conti GT W12 because it does everything better and has more tech.
exactly right.

Even rich people care about making smart reasonable purchases and the relative value if they have to choose between the 3, at least most of them I know , those who don't most likely got their wealth thru easy money.
holy sweeping statements batman. a know a lot of rich people, some are absurdly (and disgustingly) 'cheap' (to the point of abusing contractors working on their homes for example, haggling over an hourly rate to paint a fence or something), and some (including those who 'made it' and those who inherited) who are very impulsive and wouldn't think twice about comparing 3 models of high end mercedes coupe, instead saying "give me the best one, in [color of their choice]". the sales guy sharts, and says "you got it! sign here...".

I consider it gross misuse of resource which I can put to better use somewhere else.
that's your OPINION (nothing wrong with it) which not everyone shares. some might think your choices 'excessive' (i'm not saying that). it's personal, and relative.

NOTE THAT I NEVER said the 65 AMG's should not exist. They are just not nearly compelling enough for me to pay the premium that they are asking for , and I can never get myself to choose it on principle alone.
key words in bold.

you obviously like luxury, but are analytical and like to assess the value of options (like your flight/cruise example). nothing wrong with that!
Old 03-28-15, 11:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and some (including those who 'made it' and those who inherited) who are very impulsive and wouldn't think twice about comparing 3 models of high end mercedes coupe, instead saying "give me the best one, in [color of their choice]". the sales guy sharts, and says "you got it! sign here...".
Well , I have known a few who would do that too, but not necessarily have to do with being impulsive, they are well off, can afford a lot of luxury goods, but not even that rich.
With them "price advantage" carries the opposite meaning of what we usually understand as, it means MORE expensive, not less , and the more expensive the better ......

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-28-15 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-28-15, 08:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Mercedes is making AN OBSCENE profit charging 220k for the "65" series AMG cars. This twin turbo V12 engine has been out for 10 years now. As others have said, the "65" series cars are 100k than the "550" S and SL cars, the markup by Benz is insane. If people pay it, more power to them.

Yes the engine in these cars is something very special, but its not worth double the price. The resale value on them tends to agree with my sentiment.
Old 03-30-15, 01:39 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
Saw a 550 in white the other day in Houston -- unimpressed. Looks like an e class or c class coupe. In fact the sedan has more presence.

I'd take an "ancient" Aston, Maserati GT or Bentley Conti over this any day. These cars have presence the S Class coupe can't match.
At this price point, there are certainly those who either want more performance or flash, but that's not the demographic that MB is targeting. After you get past a certain wealth threshold, some people do not care about presence and would rather have low-key and understated extravagance. It's like designer bags... all the low/mid brands have giant logos plastered all over them, and then once you get to crazy expensive ones, you wouldn't even know what brand they are or how much they cost until you look at the tag inside.

Case in point, I walked by a 2015 black S sedan in a strip mall the other day, so I figured it was probably an S550... low and behold it was an S65, which has a similar MSRP as the coupe. It's even more bland than the coupe and blends in completely, which I'm sure was the owner's intention (And probably their beater lol). Took a peek inside and it was just insane with luxury and craftsmanship.

BTW I like how peeps are arguing about what's sensible for billionaires when we are talking about a 250k car. lol. I think LFA owners should chime in.
Old 03-30-15, 09:07 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that any AMG purchase is more from the heart than the noggin. The S63/S65 coupe definitely falls into this category. As for me, I'll be making a more logical decision and just get the base S550 coupe.