Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2015 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 02:03 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
Sorry this thing is overpriced. Even if I could afford, would not buy. For that price it should be something special, but it is not. Vanquish looks better and sounds better, don't care it is outdated. Now if this S 65 was an Aston Martin it would be another thing.
You hit it on the nail, you can't afford it. And btw, the Aston Martin is ancient, if you have been driven in it, you will notice that the interior just can't hold a candle to the new S Class. Sorry, and I am a huge fan of Aston Martin.
Old 03-25-15, 02:37 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a 550 in white the other day in Houston -- unimpressed. Looks like an e class or c class coupe. In fact the sedan has more presence.

I'd take an "ancient" Aston, Maserati GT or Bentley Conti over this any day. These cars have presence the S Class coupe can't match.
Old 03-25-15, 03:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm amazed at how you can move 4800 lbs of metal from 0 to 60mph in just 4 seconds.
Old 03-25-15, 04:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
Saw a 550 in white the other day in Houston -- unimpressed. Looks like an e class or c class coupe. In fact the sedan has more presence.

I'd take an "ancient" Aston, Maserati GT or Bentley Conti over this any day. These cars have presence the S Class coupe can't match.
From MotorTrend:

A few interesting statistics: The average Bentley owner is male and isn't buying the Bentley as a second car or a third car, but an eighth car. The Mercedes S63 coupe buyer isn't much different. With annual household income of at least $600,000, there are typically at least three more cars in the garage, of which the S63 is commonly the daily beater -- something with which to pick up the dog from the psychiatrist and park next to the door-dinging riff raff in the Ferragamo lot. Directly from Mercedes-Benz public relations, "What we hear time and time again from these buyers is that they have a fleet of cars to choose from, but their AMG has the most miles on it."

Again. No one is like "oh geez what should I buy, S65 AMG or this other car?" They just add it to the fleet.
Old 03-25-15, 04:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

^^^ we are talking about the US$230k+ S65 coupe , not the sub $200k S63

THE S63 coupe is still much easier to justify over the S550 coupe than the S65 coupe ...
Old 03-25-15, 04:31 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I think you're being silly if you think the S65 buyer doesn't also have a fleet of cars, which is why I felt it was worth posting. Please also note the Bentley owner (a brand with cars frequently going over $200k) typically buys their car as an 8th vehicle. The person who buys an S65 is looking for a top of the line S-class. Point blank.
Old 03-25-15, 04:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

We know Steve Jobs drive SL55 (surely he has many other cars and can afford a SL65) ...... but the Lindsay Lohan's drive SL65
Old 03-25-15, 04:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I think you're being silly if you think the S65 buyer doesn't also have a fleet of cars, which is why I felt it was worth posting. Please also note the Bentley owner (a brand with cars frequently going over $200k) typically buys their car as an 8th vehicle. The person who buys an S65 is looking for a top of the line S-class. Point blank.
OF course they do, but there are many other rich people who can just write a cheque to buy a dozen S65 ' s and chose NOT to buy it because it's not good enough for the price. many rich people DO NOT throw away their money even if they can afford to. THEY did not get rich by not using their money wisely.

Of course there will be some who don't care if their wealth is easy money ...
Old 03-25-15, 04:40 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

If you were "using your money wisely" you wouldn't be purchasing a car this expensive in the first place, no matter the make.

The only point I'm trying to drive home here is its stupid to try to make sense out of the S65. If you're trying to point that its an irrational purchase and the S63 is a better value you've already missed the point. Clearly MB is making enough money on it where it makes sense to build. Let the madness continue!
Old 03-25-15, 04:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

If you were "using your money wisely" you wouldn't be purchasing a car this expensive in the first place, no matter the make.

The only point I'm trying to drive home here is its stupid to try to make sense out of the S65. If you're trying to point that its an irrational purchase and the S63 is a better value you've already missed the point. Clearly MB is making enough money on it where it makes sense to build. Let the madness continue!
WHat if one really likes the S class coupe and can afford it easily? That is enough reason to consider one , they want to enjoy it but still want to make a sensible purchase. IF you have read about Billionaires like Bill Gates who can give away billions to charity, but at the same time, he won't throw away money needlessly if he can do something for free or at a more reasonable price.
Old 03-25-15, 04:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
WHat if one really likes the S class coupe and can afford it easily? That is enough reason to consider one , they want to enjoy it but still want to make a sensible purchase. IF you have read about Billionaires like Bill Gates who can give away billions to charity, but at the same time, he won't throw away money needlessly if he can do something for free or at a more reasonable price.
See, you're moving the goalposts for what is considered "sensible." It's all relative to your personal judgement. Warren Buffet might think buying an S-class coupe is not sensible in the first place. Another billionaire might think an S550 is good for the soul but that S65 is an exercise in conspicuous excess. A third guy might love his S65 AMG and may think Warren Buffett's private jet is absurd and definitely not sensible. Hell, an S65 AMG buyer might even be thinking their car is more reasonable then a similarly priced Bentley Conti GT W12 because it does everything better and has more tech.
Old 03-25-15, 05:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

See, you're moving the goalposts for what is considered "sensible." It's all relative to your personal judgement. Warren Buffet might think buying an S-class coupe is not sensible in the first place. Another billionaire might think an S550 is good for the soul but that S65 is an exercise in conspicuous excess. A third guy might love his S65 AMG and may think Warren Buffett's private jet is absurd and definitely not sensible. Hell, an S65 AMG buyer might even be thinking their car is more reasonable then a similarly priced Bentley Conti GT W12 because it does everything better and has more tech.
You totally missed my point, I am not even talking about comparing cars with jet planes and what not with different billionaires, just with cars, the choice between 550, 63and 65 if one is considering it. Even rich people care about making smart reasonable purchases and the relative value if they have to choose between the 3, at least most of them I know , those who don't most likely got their wealth thru easy money.
Old 03-25-15, 06:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You totally missed my point, I am not even talking about comparing cars with jet planes and what not with different billionaires, just with cars, the choice between 550, 63and 65 if one is considering it. Even rich people care about making smart reasonable purchases and the relative value if they have to choose between the 3, at least most of them I know , those who don't most likely got their wealth thru easy money.
I get your point, I just don't think it's well made. You keep saying smart and reasonable when talking about a $100k S550. I think that alone sets up this argument for failure.

Sure, we can say the S550 is the least pricey model and still comes as a great package. Someone with less money might say that about an I4 Camry instead of the V6 model. but this thread is about the S65, which isn't supposed to make sense. It's for the person who spends a lot of money on cars because that's their interest area.

We can talk circles on this all day, but I'll make this my last post.
Old 03-25-15, 06:29 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pickup trucks can run $70k now, $100k isn't a lot of money any more so saying smart and reasonable does make sense for the average luxury car buyer in that range.
Old 03-25-15, 06:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I get your point, I just don't think it's well made. You keep saying smart and reasonable when talking about a $100k S550. I think that alone sets up this argument for failure.

Sure, we can say the S550 is the least pricey model and still comes as a great package. Someone with less money might say that about an I4 Camry instead of the V6 model. but this thread is about the S65, which isn't supposed to make sense. It's for the person who spends a lot of money on cars because that's their interest area.

We can talk circles on this all day, but I'll make this my last post.
No , using Camrys to compare is setting it up for failure because Camry 6 in still reasonably priced.

Why the S65 is not supposed to make sense ? No real reason for that except it's priced not to make sense for what it is and what you really get.

Quick Reply: Review: 2015 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG Coupe