Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Newbie question: New vs. used

Old 03-23-15, 09:22 PM
AkhilinMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question: New vs. used

Hi guys;

Newbie here - I'm moving to the D.C. area and am looking to purchase a car.

My budget is $40,000. I have no idea what my user profile or commute time will be, except that I need to be able to carry 4 adults, 1 child in a car seat (4 year old) in relative comfort.

So, the question is this:

Should I get a used LS460 (I love the 2009 - 2012 models), or a new IS250/350? I love the interiors of the new IS', but have heard the 250 is under-powered. Also, can the IS carry the 4 adults, 1 child?

I'm also cross-shopping new BMW 3-series (320i or 328i).

Appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Old 03-23-15, 09:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

New car all the way
Old 03-23-15, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

with your requirement, you need a big car. with your budget, not enough for a new big car. so i say get a good used certified car

plus trying to stuff 4 adults and a kid in the IS is quite an insane act

and yes, 250 is quite underpowered imho
Old 03-23-15, 09:46 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

GS 350 F Sport
Old 03-23-15, 10:30 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I would suggest a GX460 for 5 passengers. I can't imagine 4 adults plus 1 car seat being comfortable in any sedan, especially an IS.
Maybe you can negotiate for a used 2014 GX for around 40k.
Old 03-24-15, 12:12 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Consider an ES or GS, which have more room than an IS, but cost less than the LS. I'd look into leases for both, as programs are very aggressive for each.
FWIW, I currently have a new IS250 loaner and it has plenty of punch for everyday, NORMAL driving. If you want to race, then it's underpowered.
Old 03-24-15, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL....and to D.C.

For $40,000 +/- a little, if you want to stay in the Lexus family, I'd say look first at a new non-hybrid ES350. It is more space-efficient inside than the cramped IS, rides a little more comfortably (but not quite as smooth as previous versions), and, IMO, is more suited as an everyday family-driver. The materials used inside (though undeniably good-looking) aren't as solid as with the previous generation, but, again, are adequate for the job, and I don't let that necessarily be a deal-breaker if you otherwise like the car. True, the IS does come in an AWD version (rather low-powered on the IS250AWD) and the regular ES doesn't. But here in the D.C. area, which you are moving to, we don't usually get consistently severe winters, the roads are usually cleared of snow within a day or so (unfortunately, using salt, sand, and deicers which tear the pavement up). The last two winters here (as across the Eastern U.S.) have been markedly worse than average, but that does not mean that they will continue like this. Nevertheless, the ES, with FWD, has decent snow traction on all but the worst roads, and probably markedly better than the IS RWD.

Here's a list of D.C.-area Lexus dealerships, BTW.....I live in the area myself. There are also some more a little further out.

Pohanka Chantilly Lexus (near Dulles Airport in VA) http://www.pohankalexuschantilly.com

Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria: (near the Pentagon in VA): http://www.lindsaylexusofalexandria.com

Lexus of Rockville (in Montgomery County, MD): http://www.lexusofrockville.com

Lexus of Silver Spring (just off U.S. 29, between D.C. and Baltimore in MD) http://www.lexus.com/dealers/61903-l...-silver-spring

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-15 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I currently have a new IS250 loaner and it has plenty of punch for everyday, NORMAL driving. If you want to race, then it's underpowered.
I agree that the IS250's power level (even the 250AWD, if one is an especially non-aggresive driver) is adequate for most situations...but those situations don't always incude the expectations of some enthusiasts. But, then, again, in many cases, neither does driving an ES.

Given the way the 250AWD sells in this area, a number of people seem to agree......but, from what I've seen, many of those owners are single, or at least don't have kids or a lot of other things to put into the rear seat.
Old 03-24-15, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by AkhilinMD
My budget is $40,000. I have no idea what my user profile or commute time will be, except that I need to be able to carry 4 adults, 1 child in a car seat (4 year old) in relative comfort.
Should I get a used LS460 (I love the 2009 - 2012 models), or a new IS250/350? I love the interiors of the new IS', but have heard the 250 is under-powered. Also, can the IS carry the 4 adults, 1 child?
welcome. now that's a funny post.

ls460 and is250/350 are just slightly different.

first of all, underpowered will be the least of your issues in DC where average speed is probably 10mph.

more importantly though, the IS is NOT roomy in the back (3 series somewhat better packaging imo), but 4 adults and a child better be a SHORT trip.

of your two choices i'd get the LS. but if it were me, i'd get a cuv/suv - a used RX350 would work very well for you and can take 4 adults plus one kid in reasonable comfort.
Old 03-24-15, 06:52 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
with your requirement, you need a big car. with your budget, not enough for a new big car. so i say get a good used certified car

plus trying to stuff 4 adults and a kid in the IS is quite an insane act

and yes, 250 is quite underpowered imho
Spot on imo. Pre own RX would be one of my choices
Old 03-24-15, 09:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AkhilinMD
Hi guys;

Newbie here - I'm moving to the D.C. area and am looking to purchase a car.

So, the question is this:

I'm also cross-shopping new BMW 3-series (320i or 328i).

Appreciate any feedback you can offer.
I just bought a CPO Elite BMW 328 for just over $41,000, which was $11,000 below MSRP; depending on what features you are looking for in a car, and whether you settle on a 320 vs 328, you can definitely find plenty out there for under $40,000. It had 5400 miles, with factory warranty for 5 years from the original in service date or 75,000 total vehicle miles, plus BMW's maintenance plan for the original 4/50,000. It still has new car smell. If you are in the market for a BMW, I highly recommend this route--there are lots of these types of cars out there in the marketplace.

As an aside, if you were willing to go the hatchback route, rather than a sedan, you could easily find a low mileage CPO BMW X1 for under $40,000, which might have a better configured back seat for your 4+1 crew. You could even find a CPO X1 xDrive35 with the inline 6 for that price.

I traded in my '07 IS250, which has the same engine as the current IS. The 328 has noticeably more power, and much better rear seat room than the 2nd Gen IS (not sure about 3rd Gen). You could definitely fit 4 adults and a small child in the 328--although I wouldn't do it for long trips. But it would have been really tough in my IS.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-24-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 09:51 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

We used to squeeze 4 adults and a child (booster) seat in a 2010 Toyota Corolla but only for SHORT trips. I would not advise it; even with smaller adults in the back (my mother and my wife), it was TIGHT.

I now have a 2015 ES; it fits the 4 adults and child seat MUCH better. My wife's 2013 Accord offers about the same width (but not the legroom) as the ES, so that is a possible option (any FWD mid-size car should be able to fit 2 adults and a child seat in the back).

Some years back, we did a road trip in a Dodge Journey -- 4 adults, 1 large child seat in the centre rear. No complaints other than trying to find seat belt buckles. The rear seat in the RX is about the same width (perhaps a bit wider) as the Journey, so the RX should fit 4 adults and 1 child seat without problem.
Old 03-24-15, 09:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LS460 for sure.
Old 03-24-15, 10:05 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

AND the thing you really have to consider is the rear seat center-hump...that thing is so high and flared at the bottom (even in the LS) that the middle passenger have to straddle that thing, making it damn uncomfortable.

This is where the fwd or cuv comes in for major 3 passenger-back seat comfort.

This is my only gripe that lexus can't get it right (vs. bmw/mb)
Old 03-25-15, 12:48 AM
AkhilinMD
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, guys!

I do lean towards the LS but it sounds like I may have to settle for something less ambitious, budget-wise, hence the IS.

The 4 + 1 would be for short trips, but we plan on some highway mileage with just 2 adults, 1 kid, so something comfortable would be nice.

The SUV/CUV route sounds interesting as well.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie question: New vs. used