Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: To buy a 2011 740i Sport or NOT to Buy
Buy it
14.29%
Don't Buy it
85.71%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy a 2011 BMW 740i??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTOh
This car is much longer then I thought.. The iL must be a limo
The "iL" is BMW-speak for a long-wheelbase model......(literally, "i" means fuel-injection, and "L" is the long wheelbase). And, yes, all else equal, that usually means more room in the back seat and a smoother ride.

IMHO, though, in general, I share the apprehension of some other posters here about buying a high-mileage 7-series. If you have to deal with service/repairs that are not under warranty (as will likely be the case with this car) they can become real money-pits, unless you are lucky enough to have an extended factory-campaign long enough to cover it

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-15 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 10:50 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The "iL" is BMW-speak for a long-wheelbase model......(literally, "i" means fuel-injection, and "L" is the long wheelbase). And, yes, all else equal, that usually means more room in the back seat and a smoother ride.

IMHO, though, in general, I share the apprehension of some other posters here about buying a high-mileage 7-series. If you have to deal with service/repairs that are not under warranty (as will likely be the case with this car) they can become real money-pits, unless you are lucky enough to have an extended factory-campaign long enough to cover it
Yes I have always been reluctant to purchase one because of the issues I have the car for a couple days nothing is signed its definitely different very nice vehicle. I'm on the fence because I came to ask my fellow Lexus people because you guys can relate because we share the same reliability but over in the BMW forums asking the same question they all say the 2011+ inline 6 is VERY reliable and if you don't care about having the V8 is a no brainer. They all recommend 2013+ 740i because of the model refresh. but thats easily $15k+ more then what id be getting this one for.. my Mistake mileage is 72k not 78k
Old 03-23-15, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTO
over in the BMW forums asking the same question they all say the 2011+ inline 6 is VERY reliable and if you don't care about having the V8 is a no brainer. They all recommend 2013+ 740i because of the model refresh. but thats easily $15k+ more then what id be getting this one for.. my Mistake mileage is 72k not 78k
That may be true. BMW, in general, does build good engines, despite the tendency of some 1Gen X5 engines to self-destruct or catch fire because of defective cooling fans, and some problems with older M3 power plants. But a car, particularly an upmarket German model, does not have to suffer catastrophic engine or transmission failure to become a money-pit....it just becomes MORE of a money pit if that happens.

But, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that your individual car will empty your wallet. Like with any used car, you pay your money and take your chances. If you like it enough that you feel it is worth the chance (and, of course, a 7-series is certainly a nice car to drive if you can figure out all the complex controls), then it's up to you if you want to go for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-15 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 07:03 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly its not the engine or the tranny that will suck your bank acc dry, it's everything esle especialy electronics!!!sensors, door motors, computer, electronic switches etc.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
That may be true. BMW, in general, does build good engines, despite the tendency of some 1Gen X5 engines to self-destruct or catch fire because of defective cooling fans, and some problems with older M3 power plants. But a car, particularly an upmarket German model, does not have to suffer catastrophic engine or transmission failure to become a money-pit....it just becomes MORE of a money pit if that happens.

But, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that your individual car will empty your wallet. Like with any used car, you pay your money and take your chances. If you like it enough that you feel it is worth the chance (and, of course, a 7-series is certainly a nice car to drive if you can figure out all the complex controls), then it's up to you if you want to go for it.
Old 03-23-15, 07:04 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Exactly its not the engine or the tranny that will suck your bank acc dry, it's everything esle especialy electronics!!!sensors, door motors, computer, electronic switches etc.
All of which are covered under the warranty am I correct?
Old 03-23-15, 07:08 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

All of which are covered under the warranty am I correct?
No idea. You need to read your warranty and all the fine prints. Usually No. Only major components are covered!
Old 03-23-15, 07:09 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Find out what warranty they use, and do some research. Go on their site read then do a review search on it!

Most warranty has different packages.
Old 03-23-15, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

first off, must say, car looks awesome.

second, yes it comes with warranty, so (most) cost is covered, but it's the hassle of being in the dealership (and do you get a loaner?) that makes it not much of a great 'daily driver' (especially for your wife ).

third, i think if you go in with eyes open that you may have problems and should have some money to take care of that you'll be fine. if you go in like some seem to and expect a car with 80k or more to be exactly like a new car you will likely be disappointed.

but i certainly know people who have bought used bmw and mercedes and LOVE them with few issues. others, not so much.
Old 03-23-15, 09:03 AM
Zfrog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard horror stories of the E38 but F01/F02 has been out for 6 years and doesn't seem to have too bad of a reputation apart from minor electrical issues
E38+

I have family that works at a BMW dealership and E38, E65/E66/E67/E68, and F01/F02 never leave service under $1,000. But usually are ~$4,000. Yes, the E6x are more frequent, but that is because there are more of them that are 80k+ and they are older.

I am not worried about the N54 itself. I would worry about all the other gadgets.

The F01/F02 has only become more complicated and I doubt if will follow another trend than its E6x counterpart.

This is why they are selling it to your for $25,000! how much was it new (only 4 years ago)? 3x that? These things depreciate faster than anything currently on the market for a reason. It depreciated $1000 per month!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wait another year and buy it for $10,000 LOL

Last edited by Zfrog; 03-23-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 09:14 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FastTags
Find out what warranty they use, and do some research. Go on their site read then do a review search on it!

Most warranty has different packages.
Warranty asre very tricky sometimes to get reimbursed, most warrantys i know work like this: if the covered component dies on it own and there is no evidence of faul play, it will be covered, BUT if there any evidence that there was faul play, even before your purchase they will decline the claim. For example, say you have a converter that is broke and it is a covered component (i dont know if its is just using as example) if they find visual damage
Even a minor on the coverter they may say that you or someone damaged it while driving and they will not pay for it. Another example very common one, say your engine stop functioning, if the mechanic finds out that it was due to low
Oil or no oil, even if the oil came out on its own, they will not pay for it, they will say it is your foult for not making sure you have proper level, etccx and so on!!!
Old 03-23-15, 10:04 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

If you have never owned an german, you should at least try it once.
Old 03-23-15, 10:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it does look really nice ..... but...double check to see if the warranty covers the electronics before you buy it.

...and the warranty ENDS at 100K, right?
Old 03-23-15, 10:18 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a really bad experiences with a used BMW with that ball park mileage. It drove good for a year or two. But once it hit 101k everything started going to *****.

On a different note, my friend had a similar car to the one you are looking at. It even had less miles and the tranny started acting up. The dealer couldn't find what was wrong with it. He had to had to get another tranny put in. Total cost of the bill was $8,000.
Old 03-23-15, 10:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It is a very nice car, I really like the look of the 7 series and that model is one of my favorite flagship sedans but like most here say, I would be really afraid of what it is going to cost you when problems occur. If it had around 40K miles I might not be as scared to own a expensive top end BMW but around 100K is when really expensive things normally start failing or need replacing on German cars. I would look into asking around on BMW sites how much DIY can be done on it to keep the dealership from hammering you. It may have a warranty but you may be surprised with how much they will refuse to cover or what excuses they give why certain things are not covered in your case, that is not just BMW. If you have a nice chunk of money set aside for expensive repairs and maintenance and add that into what you are realistically paying for it and really want it then you could give it a try but don't expect anywhere near Lexus/Japanese reliability/dealership costs.

Pay attention to what BMW sites recommend for oil/fluids and don't skimp on it because that inline 6 is going to have to work pretty hard to move that big heavy sedan.

Last edited by UDel; 03-24-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 12:56 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
If you have never owned an german, you should at least try it once.
agreed, but not one with almost 100k on it

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 2011 BMW 740i??