Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Deciding which Lexus to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 04:30 PM
mrkbsn65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding which Lexus to buy

Hi all! I'm about to graduate and really want a Lexus. I can't decide on which one I want to buy. I'm deciding between:
1st or 2nd generation rx (not hybrid)

2nd generation is (not isf or 350)
Or possibly a 2nd or 3rd generation es

Which one would be more reliable? How much do you spend on maintenance per year? I'm 21, have a clean driving record, single, great credit, good income, and live in Oklahoma. I currently drive a crv that I've had since high school and I'm use to paying 50 per month in insurance and spending hardly nothing to maintain the car. But it's over 200k miles on the odo and I can tell its last days are coming. How much do you think my insurance might increase as well? Any input is greatly appreciated :-)
Old 03-20-15, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL and CAR CHAT.

Almost any vehicle of that vintage, of course, and with those kind of miles on it (even from Lexus) is going to be a significant risk as a used car. But I'll give you a few tips here:

First, given the choice between an early-generation RX and ES, the ES is going to be less-complex mechanically than AWD versions of the RX (not necessarily true of FWD RX models) and have fewer parts in the drivetrain to service/repair or replace. Second, if you choose either an RX or ES with the 3.0L V6, try to make sure that good oil-change and service records are available, as this engine was not forgiving of extended-interval oil changes, and could build up sludge and gel, which led to failure or severe damage. Third, whatever you buy, try to get a CarFax report (most dealerships nowadays will give you one), which, while not perfect or foolproof, will give you at least a decent estimation of the car's accident and legal history. Fourth (and some of this may go without saying), you obviously don't have to go to a Lexus shop for service, especially on a car that old. Independent service shops are usually cheaper, and you can often get the same factory-filters and service parts at a Toyota shop that you do at a Lexus shop....for less money. When I owned a new Lexus IS300, I had all non-warranty stuff taken care of at a local Toyota shop, where the service manager was a personal friend of mine.

Good Luck.
Old 03-20-15, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would agree with MMarshall's comments, although I would add that the IS or ES would provide a better driving experience than the RX. We owned a 1st gen RX, and while is was a nice vehicle it pretty much wallowed all over the road. A friend of mine likened it to "driving a baked potato".

One other recommendation. How about a 2nd or 3rd Gen GS? I had a 2nd Gen GS and it was a great car. There are still lots of them on the road today.
Old 03-20-15, 09:28 PM
mrkbsn65
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dseag2
I would agree with MMarshall's comments, although I would add that the IS or ES would provide a better driving experience than the RX. We owned a 1st gen RX, and while is was a nice vehicle it pretty much wallowed all over the road. A friend of mine likened it to "driving a baked potato".

One other recommendation. How about a 2nd or 3rd Gen GS? I had a 2nd Gen GS and it was a great car. There are still lots of them on the road today.
Thanks for your advise! My grandma has a first gen. Rx 300 and I see what you mean about it driving like a potatoe but it drives 1000x better than my crv, that's for sure! I'm not fond of the 1st generation gs. I do like the 2nd gen. but I was always under the impression they would be more to insure because they are seen more sporty. But if I get the 300, it shouldn't be worse than the is250 right...?
Old 03-21-15, 08:57 AM
oldusedone
Driver School Candidate

The RX300 does drives like a potato, and I thought it was just mine. When it comes to the Carfax, I say they are not easy to understand for the first timer. They are like figuring out a math problem for the first time, it takes a while to get it. In my case I had the Carfax that showed four previous owners on the RX300. Not knowing the issues these engines had I blindly thought nothing of it. In hindsight, four owners are too many for most any car I'd want to buy used. Since you are on this site you probably are cautious enough to know better.

Another thing, make sure all the dashboard indicators are working. Turn the key to the On position, before starting the car, and take a picture of all the lights that go on the dashboard. Look at the manual page showing what lights you should have. Make sure they all work. Our low oil pressure light was not working and missed by both me and the mechanic who checked the car out. Guess what, I'm currently replacing the engine at a cost of $2200, for the used engine alone. Listen to mmarshall, he is wise beyond his 52K post total.

Last edited by oldusedone; 03-21-15 at 09:22 AM.