Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion iA Announced as Brand’s First Sedan

Old 03-28-15, 10:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

here is a proper pic...

Same bun shape as the last gen Elantra
Old 03-29-15, 12:15 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 153 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer

Thank you. That was the generation Elantra I was referring to.
Old 03-29-15, 05:57 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Couldn't they have given the two some distinction?! Looks simply like a nose job. If I want a Mazda2 I'll get a Mazda2 not a Scion2
Mazda probably won't be selling the Mazda2 sedan in the USA so you can't go and buy it instead.
Old 03-29-15, 07:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Mazda2 front is far more attractive. This looks crap.
After the weird smiley face years, Mazda has some great looking front ends these days. Better than some of Toyota's.
Old 03-29-15, 01:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thank you. That was the generation Elantra I was referring to.
Np.

Come to think of it, it's also like the refreshed Lancer with an extra slit above the gaping mouth.

Old 03-29-15, 02:31 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
After the weird smiley face years, Mazda has some great looking front ends these days. Better than some of Toyota's.
Thanks to Ford for influencing such a decision. Use my chassis, use my engine, build your design around it.
Old 03-29-15, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

never saw that elantra, we didnt have them here... i guess Hyundai was in their Toyota phase back then, it looks like squashed Corolla profile wise.
Old 03-29-15, 06:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And the corresponding Sonata looked like an Accord. I think they were just in a general "copy" phase back then.
Attached Thumbnails -hyundai_sonata_2008_05-1600.jpg  
Old 03-30-15, 06:34 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Just end the misery and close the division already. This will appeal to the blind and senile.
Old 03-30-15, 09:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
never saw that elantra, we didnt have them here... i guess Hyundai was in their Toyota phase back then, it looks like squashed Corolla profile wise.
It wasn't a bad generation IIRC. Yeah the nose is a bit flat as if it was hit against the wall but features and specs, it was reasonable and a step up from the previous generation.
Old 03-31-15, 06:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Just end the misery and close the division already. This will appeal to the blind and senile.
LOL i mean really, why bother?
Old 03-31-15, 07:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

It wasn't a bad generation IIRC. Yeah the nose is a bit flat as if it was hit against the wall but features and specs, it was reasonable and a step up from the previous generation.
we got i30 by then... but we have latest elantra, just without any diesel engine in it so it is a rare sight.
Old 03-31-15, 08:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How well does the Mazda2 sell in other countries? Of course, the Mazda3 is a perennial favorite, but does the 2 sell well?

But I see the Scion iA will be low key in status & sales numbers, just like the Prius c is to the regular Prius.

So, perhaps there is no need for Scion to sell vast numbers if they acknowledge that's the case...
Old 03-31-15, 10:01 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
How well does the Mazda2 sell in other countries? Of course, the Mazda3 is a perennial favorite, but does the 2 sell well?

But I see the Scion iA will be low key in status & sales numbers, just like the Prius c is to the regular Prius.

So, perhaps there is no need for Scion to sell vast numbers if they acknowledge that's the case...
This may not directly answer your question, since we are in different countries with different demographics. Here in the Great White North, we tend to go for smaller cars. Honda civic is our best-selling car, not the Camry. The Avalon sells so few here that we are not offered the Hybrid model.

The Mazda2 (the one based on the Ford Fiesta) has not sold well. I don't know if it is meeting its targets but very, very seldom see them on the streets. I don't know the reason. The Mazda3 does quite well competing with the Civic, Corolla and Ford Focus; but the Mazda6 hardly sells any. Mazda just does not sell well here.

I have no idea if the new Mazda2 will sell well here.

The previous Yaris Sedan, though, sold quite well here, if viewings-on-the-street is any indication (not at the Civic/Corolla level, though). Your Scion iA will be sold as the Yaris Sedan here. But then, the previous-generation Yaris Sedan was a Toyota and, IMO, much better looking than its sister, the Yaris Hatchback. Whereas the previous-generation Hatchback was overly cute or frumpy (depending upon your point of view), I thought the Sedan was quite handsome.

I believe that this new Yaris Sedan will sell well, at least up here in Canada, even if it does not look like a Yaris (but the jury is still out with that bun-shaped styling). It will have a better drivetrain, with the SkyActiv engine and 6-speed automatic, in comparison to the weak 1.5L 4-cylinder and 4-speed automatic in the Hatchback (at least on paper). And, as I said above, small sedans sell quite well up here where gas costs more than in the US.
Old 03-31-15, 12:57 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Number of cars sold in Japan. January 2015.
#1 Toyota Prius c 19968
#2 Honda Fit 11628
#3 Toyota Prius 11206
#4 Nissan Note 9951
#5 Mazda Demio (Mazda 2 hatchback) 8864

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scion iA Announced as Brand’s First Sedan