Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler axed in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 05:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Chrysler axed in the UK

Fiat Group pulls the plug on ailing American brand in the UK – Chrysler will disappear by 2017

The Chrysler brand will be axed in the UK within two years.

Speaking exclusively to Auto Express, Fiat Group UK’s deputy managing director, Karl Howkins, revealed Chrysler models will no longer be sold in the UK.

As of today, the Chrysler brand is being withdrawn from sale and will officially disappear from these shores by 2017. Declining sales and a product portfolio crippled by ever more stringent CO2 regulations have catalysed the brand’s exit.

Chrysler’s big saloon, the 300C, has effectively been deleted as has the Grand Voyager. It leaves the Ypsilon supermini as the only model in the range – but it will be sold on an order-only basis until the American brand finally calls it a day in the UK.

The axe falling on Chrysler’s UK operations is being repeated in mainland Europe, too. Fiat Group is culling Lancia from all European markets meaning it will serve just its home Italian market.

Chrysler’s exit will sweep in a raft of changes for the Fiat Group in the UK. Its sales network coverage in the UK is being overhauled with Jeep and Alfa Romeo dealers now joining forces, and Fiat and Abarth dealers operating from dual sites. Some dealers that already sell all Fiat Group brands under one roof will continue to offer all products apart from Chrysler.

The news brings an end to a tough few years for Chrysler in this country. The company’s 300C and Grand Voyager were joined by the Fiat 500-based Ypsilon and VW Golf-rivaling Delta in 2011 and consequently widened the model range and opened up the American brand to new customers.

However, the Delta was deleted from UK price lists last year leaving the Ypsilon, 300C and Grand Voyager. Both the big saloon and people carrier have soldiered on without updates despite newer models appearing in the USA. Last year the brand registered 1,982 cars in the UK – more than 21 per cent down on 2013's total.

Howkins told Auto Express that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is instead ploughing money into its other American brand – Jeep. Over the next three years, the current three-car range will be joined by a mid-sized Nissan Qashqai rival and a range-topping large SUV currently dubbed ‘Grand Wagoneer’.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/chrysle...axed-in-the-uk
Old 03-17-15, 08:29 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Great news!

I hope this is the beginning of a worldwide trend.
Old 03-17-15, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

Your opinion respected, but I don't quite see it that way. Chrysler Division is actually making some nice stuff now...I was impressed with both the latest 200 and 300. Of course, though, if people don't buy them in a certain country, then that is an incentive for dropping them.
Old 03-18-15, 04:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

He always posts negative things about Chrysler. Marchionne actually reported this was going to happen a few months ago as he clarified FCA's global strategy.
Old 03-18-15, 03:11 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

It's true, I never hide my hatred for Chrysler products.

Imagine how pleasant life would be if traffic wasn't snarled by the rusty Chrysler minivans with at least one broken tail lamps farting along at 50 mph in the middle lane of the highway. When you pass them, you can see that the driver is texting away.
Old 03-18-15, 08:34 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While not the best driving car on the road, I love the design of the Chrysler 200. Also, the 300 still looks good thanks to the updates.
Old 03-18-15, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
While not the best driving car on the road, I love the design of the Chrysler 200.
By my tastes, it's quite pleasant-driving with the V6 but, as you note, less so with the four. The only thing on it that I find odd (and you may or may not agree?) is the rotary-**** for the transmission-shifter.
Old 03-19-15, 04:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The only thing on it that I find odd (and you may or may not agree?) is the rotary-**** for the transmission-shifter.
If that's the case, then I guess you would consider Jaguar Land Rover to be odd as well.

Anyways, I do like the Chrysler 300. While Chrysler might discontinue the 300 SRT in the USA, the variant may be retained for markets such as the Middle East and Australia
Old 03-19-15, 04:08 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Great news!

+1 I could not agree more!!
Old 03-19-15, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
If that's the case, then I guess you would consider Jaguar Land Rover to be odd as well.
Yes and no. With the Jag/Land Rover ****, at least, you don't have to look at it while the engine is off...it flips down under the console.

Anyways, I do like the Chrysler 300. While Chrysler might discontinue the 300 SRT in the USA, the variant may be retained for markets such as the Middle East and Australia
You can get the same platform and drivetrains in the Charger, but the Charger is somewhat downscale from the 300 and, of course, lacks some of the 300's interior/exterior class. The Charger does come in some classic paint colors, though, that the 300 lacks.
Old 03-19-15, 06:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
He always posts negative things about Chrysler. Marchionne actually reported this was going to happen a few months ago as he clarified FCA's global strategy.
Marchionne started this nonsense of rebadging Lancia's as Chryslers... who ever thought it would work well for them?

Only thing that works in complete FCA empire is Jeep. Rest is nothing. Hard to imagine what Fiat is doing sometimes.
Old 03-19-15, 08:28 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Only thing that works in complete FCA empire is Jeep. Rest is nothing. Hard to imagine what Fiat is doing sometimes.
Well that's to be expected, as Jeep was in the best place to start with. All the rest of the brands are going to have some very crucial 2016-2018 MY's when several new models come out as outlined in the 5-year plan.
Old 03-19-15, 08:31 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

iMO crysler 300 is the best car they ever produced and it's very nice, unfortunately i could never afford to lease one. mF and RV are horible
Old 03-19-15, 03:28 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I think it was led by Rolls Royce b/c of all the 300Cs posing as RR

Old 03-19-15, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Well that's to be expected, as Jeep was in the best place to start with. All the rest of the brands are going to have some very crucial 2016-2018 MY's when several new models come out as outlined in the 5-year plan.
well Jeep got a lot of good new product... but FIAT did not.

So far they are really good on not executing their plans so lets see what happens.

Dealers are put in really bad situation, with some crucial Fiat models being more than a decade old while he spent money on rebadging Chryslers for European market.

I really hope it works out for them, but around here a lot of FIAT dealers are closed already, they run their dealerships to the ground with lack of product... so even when new models do come out, it is going to be hard for them with dealership network in current state.

Quick Reply: Chrysler axed in the UK