Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend: Luxury Crossover Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Getting back to compact luxury crossover SUVs, given the steadily inceasing popularity of this type of vehicle (Motor Trend obviously did this comparison test for a reason), there will probably be a great deal of pressure on Cadillac to join the club. The closest thing to this class, in the American market, that Cadillac currently sells to this class is the somewhat larger and more expensive SRX, which really competes in the BMW X5/Lincoln MKX/Lexus RX class more than it does with these compact SUVs. Cadillac is known to be working on a compact luxury SUV, but it will probably be several years away. Here's what Cadillac's Johan de Nysschen has to say about it:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/24/j...ll-cuv-report/

Since Johan de Nysschen's takeover as brand president, there's a lot of buzz around Cadillac. Now, the brand's leader is now giving a little more clarity about when we might see some of the company's future vehicles, including its compact crossover.

"Product development life cycles being what they are, I don't have a date in mind but I would estimate it is at least four years away," said de Nysschen about a small Cadillac CUV. The comments were made to Reuters during the Washington Auto Show. The vehicle is part of Cadillac's eight-model, $12 billion reinvention through 2020.

Interestingly, de Nysschen told Autoblog at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show that he estimated the compact luxury CUV to arrive by early 2018. The boss also indicated that Cadillac would get a sedan to slot below the ATS some time in 2017, and the previously spied SRX replacement, possibly called the XT5, would debut in 2016. In the meantime, the company's flagship CT6 is being unveiled at the 2015 New York Auto Show in April.

The wait for a luxury compact CUV makes Cadillac one of the later entries into the segment. The space is already filling with vehicles like the BMW X1, Audi Q3, Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class, Lexus NX and Lincoln MKC. Small crossovers in general seem to still be growing in sales.

While building a better brand in the US, de Nysschen also wants to grow Cadillac in Europe in the future. He told Reuters that he wants diesel vehicles ready for 2019 to appeal to customers there. Some might even be offered in the US.
Old 03-18-15, 08:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't want to imagine how would 2.5l be with 4100lbs... Worse than gs250 that I drove... 2.0t should be leagues ahead of that dinosaur
Old 03-18-15, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I don't want to imagine how would 2.5l be with 4100lbs... Worse than gs250 that I drove... 2.0t should be leagues ahead of that dinosaur
4100 lbs. is a little heavy for a 2.0T as well. The main reason that we're seeing these small turbo fours is the CAFE rules. They are delivering on the better mileage, but not necessarily on the refinement.
Old 03-18-15, 11:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You know what would be unique, Lexus adding two cylinders to the 2.0T and making a 2.0L V6T. Smooooth motoring
Old 03-19-15, 01:05 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice to see the NX winning a lot of people over this early on. It's pretty clear Lexus has a winner here.
So this digital turbo gauge MT talks about....where exactly is it located? Better yet, a pic?
Old 03-19-15, 06:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
4100 lbs. is a little heavy for a 2.0T as well. The main reason that we're seeing these small turbo fours is the CAFE rules. They are delivering on the better mileage, but not necessarily on the refinement.
no it is not... lets stop for a second with broad generalization. 2.0t in NX does 0-60 in 7s... 2.5l would do 8.5s... It would be way too slow.

we are talking about two specific powertrains, not generalizing about 4cly turbo vs V6
Old 03-19-15, 06:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Nice to see the NX winning a lot of people over this early on. It's pretty clear Lexus has a winner here.
So this digital turbo gauge MT talks about....where exactly is it located? Better yet, a pic?
it was all over every NX preview/review :-)

Old 03-19-15, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

no it is not... lets stop for a second with broad generalization. 2.0t in NX does 0-60 in 7s... 2.5l would do 8.5s... It would be way too slow.
Sure wouldn't do 7 seconds with me in it.

I'm 6' 2"....280.
Old 03-19-15, 06:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm 6' 2"....280.
Get the X3, it does it in 6 seconds (4200 lb.
Old 03-19-15, 07:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I'm 6' 2"....280.
100lbs more or less is statistical error...

On the other hand, imagine IS250 AWD you drove (did you?) with 500lbs more... thats like loading it with 4 people, and thats NX with 1 person.

It would not be viable.... GS250 I drove was still lighter than NX, and it was slow - and I dont mind slow, generally for us Europes, anything 10s 0-60 and below is not slow... but this felt bad due to torque being available only after 4000 rpm in heavy, large vehicle.
Old 03-19-15, 07:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

we are talking about two specific powertrains, not generalizing about 4cly turbo vs V6
The 2.5 is not an option, simply not enough power for the weight it is pulling around. The new 2.0t is the absolute perfect engine. If the 2.5 had a turbo, it might be a different argument. But a 2.5 turbo would still burn too much gas to make it worthwhile.
Old 03-19-15, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

On the other hand, imagine IS250 AWD you drove (did you?) with 500lbs more... thats like loading it with 4 people, and thats NX with 1 person.
I'm not disagreeing with you that the IS250AWD is sluggish (as were a number of 2.5L Subaru AWD vehicles). It DOES take its time getting rolling. Acceleration, though, does not seem to be its intent...that's why the IS350 and IS-F models were developed. The 2.5 is for relaxed driving with nice refinement.
Old 03-19-15, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I'm not disagreeing with you that the IS250AWD is sluggish (as were a number of 2.5L Subaru AWD vehicles). It DOES take its time getting rolling. Acceleration, though, does not seem to be its intent...that's why the IS350 and IS-F models were developed. The 2.5 is for relaxed driving with nice refinement.
yes but imagine how it drives with 4 people inside? Thats how it would be in NX with just a driver... it wouldnt be refined since you would be always at 5000 rpm trying to get some speed.
Old 03-19-15, 03:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Think we're getting hung up on an engine that won't ever ever see duty in the NX let alone future Lexus models. The 2.5 was a good alternative to I4's of the same or similar displacement because the two extra cylinders add to its refinement. As competition has now surpassed it's power ratings and efficiency, it is no longer viable. Some of us would like to see a bevy of small displacement V6's available in future models in the automobile spectrum, but other than Ford's 2.7L V6 we'll likely have to wait until current 3.0L-4.0L V6's get downsized. That said the NX won this comparison with it's 2.0T midst stiff competition from competitors who have held the advantage of 2.0's for some time now. The 2.5 did its duty and the 2.0 is filling in just fine. Kudos to Lexus.

I'd like to see a smaller Cadillac SUV in the future too, as mentioned above. X3 interior could use an overhaul.
Old 03-19-15, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Think we're getting hung up on an engine that won't ever ever see duty in the NX let alone future Lexus models. The 2.5 was a good alternative to I4's of the same or similar displacement because the two extra cylinders add to its refinement. As competition has now surpassed it's power ratings and efficiency, it is no longer viable. Some of us would like to see a bevy of small displacement V6's available in future models in the automobile spectrum, but other than Ford's 2.7L V6 we'll likely have to wait until current 3.0L-4.0L V6's get downsized. That said the NX won this comparison with it's 2.0T midst stiff competition from competitors who have held the advantage of 2.0's for some time now. The 2.5 did its duty and the 2.0 is filling in just fine. Kudos to Lexus.
OK...I'll agree with you on most of those points. It's also interesting, though, that, one of the best 2.0L in-line four turbos (and I think you'll agree, if you've sampled one), is the one still used at VW and Audi. It was a gem of a small power plant from Day One....and IMO still is, although other manufacturers now have good competitors.

I'd like to see a smaller Cadillac SUV in the future too, as mentioned above.
I guess you saw the part, then, where it might not be ready till 2018.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-15 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: Luxury Crossover Shootout