Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X5 Lease

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 11:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

You probably never shopped for BMW then.
Those are pretty standard figures, anything over 60% is great in terms of residual.
How much do you expect to lease an X5 for $500?

You should check out Audi or Porsche and look at their lease terms if u want to see bad terms.

Also your the one who said last year, now its 2 months ago - which one is it?
Old 03-14-15, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You probably never shopped for BMW then.
Those are pretty standard figures, anything over 60% is great in terms of residual.
How much do you expect to lease an X5 for $500?

You should check out Audi or Porsche and look at their lease terms if u want to see bad terms.

Also your the one who said last year, now its 2 months ago - which one is it?
I've shopped for and quoted BMW leases many times. These residuals are fine, the money factors are high. The money factors are far lower for a 5 series (like .0005). You can have a great residual and if the money factor is high then the payment comes out high. The residual is only part of the story. Hence my point...the X5 doesn't lease very well compared to a similarly priced 5 series. Residuals are lower and money factors are higher.

Its actually both. Helped one friend in September of last year and another in late Dec/Jan of this year. The one in September did lease (with the same residual and money factor I listed above) and the one in January chose not to lease.

If one can lease a $65k 5 Series for $650 a month, but a $65k X5 costs $850 a month, I'd say thats a difference.

I don't shop for Porsches but Audis have poor leases, yes.
Old 03-14-15, 12:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS

If one can lease a $65k 5 Series for $650 a month, but a $65k X5 costs $850 a month, I'd say thats a difference.
Umm again X5 is a NEW model, the current 5 series is at the end of its model cycle.

Similar to how a RC350 is more to lease than GS350 even though GS costs more.
Old 03-14-15, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is a ridiculous argument. You're making excuses as to why the X5 isn't as good a deal to lease, when all I said was that they don't lease very well...and made no comment as to why. Who cares why, the fact remains...the X5 doesn't lease that well, for the same MSRP vehicle you can lease other BMW or competitors products for less.

Perhaps they've gotten better...I don't see that because I found the situation from September to January to now pretty much the same. Residuals are pretty much the same, MFs are still high. Its not like its brand new, its 1.5 years old, on its second model year.

Leases are very model dependent. The 5 Series, 3 Series, big lease volume cars and they have great MF's and great residuals. My guess is the X5 is more commonly purchased than leased, and thus BMW isn't that aggressive. Whatever the reasons...the fact remains the X5 doesn't have a great lease. The RC is the same thing, the GS is a highly leased vehicle, and that segment in general is very lease dependent. Hence...great lease deals. RC not as much.

I've thought about an X5 to replace my GS, but likely not because of comparatively poor leases. I can lease an $80k 550i for what it costs to lease a $65k X5, and $65k doesn't even get me an X5 spec'ed like I want it. I'll take the 550.
Old 03-14-15, 03:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

This is a ridiculous argument. You're making excuses as to why the X5 isn't as good a deal to lease, when all I said was that they don't lease very well...and made no comment as to why. Who cares why, the fact remains...the X5 doesn't lease that well, for the same MSRP vehicle you can lease other BMW or competitors products for less.

Perhaps they've gotten better...I don't see that because I found the situation from September to January to now pretty much the same. Residuals are pretty much the same, MFs are still high. Its not like its brand new, its 1.5 years old, on its second model year.

Leases are very model dependent. The 5 Series, 3 Series, big lease volume cars and they have great MF's and great residuals. My guess is the X5 is more commonly purchased than leased, and thus BMW isn't that aggressive. Whatever the reasons...the fact remains the X5 doesn't have a great lease. The RC is the same thing, the GS is a highly leased vehicle, and that segment in general is very lease dependent. Hence...great lease deals. RC not as much.

I've thought about an X5 to replace my GS, but likely not because of comparatively poor leases. I can lease an $80k 550i for what it costs to lease a $65k X5, and $65k doesn't even get me an X5 spec'ed like I want it. I'll take the 550.
My friend you seem to be a bit clueless.

When the F10 5 Series came out, it was much more expensive to lease than the E70 X5.
Now that the NEW F15 X5 came out, its more expensive than the now old F10 5 Series.

X5 and RC will also lease very well once they are in the last years of their model cycle.

This happens all the time......not sure what you don't get really.
Old 03-14-15, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

None of this changes the fact that like I said, leases are expensive on the X5 compared to other cars at similar price points. The rationale for why doesn't change the fact that it is indeed the case.

You can call me clueless all you want, I am very knowledgable about car leasing, as evidenced by the pages upon pages of leasing advice I've posted on CL over the years.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-14-15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 05:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

None of this changes the fact that like I said, leases are expensive on the X5 compared to other cars at similar price points. The rationale for why doesn't change the fact that it is indeed the case.

You can call me clueless all you want, I am very knowledgable about car leasing, as evidenced by the pages upon pages of leasing advice I've posted on CL over the years.
Again you are incorrect.

You fail to understand how automakers manipulate lease prices.
In addition to that each dealer has their own pricing guidelines.
Some work on volume, some on profit margins.

Maybe you should stop giving advice.

I have leased 5 cars in last 3 years for myself, wife and my parents.
I have had at least one leased car since 1999, so i have a TON of experience especially with Lexus and BMW.

X5 has good lease rates for being a new model.
You need to compare to another SUV in its price range that is in its first model year.

When new RX comes out - it will lease for way more than the ones out now.
Its always been this way.
Old 03-14-15, 05:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

My friend you seem to be a bit clueless.
Maybe you should stop giving advice.
RNM GS3, please exit this thread. You can disagree and debate without making things personal.