Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 04:07 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Acura RLX

Honda sold just 3,413 units last year.

Click here to view more photos

The whole Acura lineup has been getting some attention lately, and now it's the turn of the RLX, as the 2016 Acura RLX gets numerous refinements.

Likely in an effort to minimize configurations and bump up sales, the 2016 RLX, Acura's flagship sedan, goes from five trims to three. The base model is gone, and navigation is now standard on all trims, along with 19-inch wheels. The RLX with Krell Audio trim is also dropped, but it looks like the audio system is still included with the top-trim Advance Package.

Another big story of the 2016 RLX is the addition of a new safety package on most trims. Called AcuraWatch, it's the brand's name for the suite of safety tech such as adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assist, blind-spot monitoring, cross traffic monitor and even the new Road Departure Mitigation system that's also debuting on the 2016 MDX and 2016 Honda Pilot. AcuraWatch is standard on mid-level Technology and top-level Advance cars. Advance trim also benefits from a new surround-view monitor system.

Acura says they've also made changes to the RLX's suspension, decreasing stiffness of the rear stabilizer bar and front and rear spring rates. All of these modifications may improve the RLX's value equation a bit, but with just 3,413 sold in 2014 and a lowly 172 in January, RLX sales could use all the help they can get.

Because there's no base model for 2016, the starting price for the new RLX goes up $2,500 to $50,950. The Technology model (AcuraWatch standard and ELS audio, among other toys) goes for $54,450 and the Advance for $60,450. All of these prices are unchanged from 2015, however, despite the additional features.

Oh, and thanks to the addition of a new color, you can now have a 2016 Acura RLX with AcuraWatch in Acura Silver Metallic. All of that Acura is on sale now.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/201...-standard.html
Old 03-09-15, 05:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Honda sold just 3,413 units last year.
Make sense, not a lot of folks that want a $60k Accord.
Old 03-09-15, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I test-drove one in my RLX review last year. It certainly doesn't DRIVE like a 60K Accord. IMO, it's a true luxury car buy any standards....although for about the same money, I'd be a little more tempted to get the 2Gen AWD Genesis.

Originally Posted by article
Unfortunately Acura hasn’t managed to achieve very much of that because it’s disappointingly rough to drive over uneven pavement. When you drive over a pothole, the noise seems to shake through the chassis much more than a car in this segment should.
I think the author, here, either may not (?) have checked the tire pressures before he drove it (the automatic sensors don't necessarily warn you if the PSIs are too high), or simply had a different, more aggressive tire/wheel package on it than the one I drove. I didn't find any significant ride or handling problems with the one I had.

Acura says they've also made changes to the RLX's suspension, decreasing stiffness of the rear stabilizer bar and front and rear spring rates.
That also might explain some of the ride-comfort difference.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-15 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 06:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

MotorWeek has an RLX in their Long Term Test fleet and they like it. Their updates remain favorable. They also recognize that it has issues in the sales department..
Old 03-09-15, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
MotorWeek has an RLX in their Long Term Test fleet and they like it. Their updates remain favorable. They also recognize that it has issues in the sales department..
Yes, this is exactly the kind of car that John Davis would like (at least from the times I've met and talked with him)....a good well-rounded combination of size, power, refinement, quietness, handling, and ride comfort. I'd bet the would feel more or less the same about the new Genesis as well.

Besides the obvious low sales, the only possible weakness I could find on the new RLX (compared to its predecessors) is that, although still well-screwed together, the newest 3Gen version seems to have lost at least some of the tank-like solidity of body and hardware found on the previous version. Shutting the doors on the last 2Gen version was like bank vaults, and the hardware inside seemed to be designed to stay like new for the life of the car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 07:05 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

how about for the same price of loaded Accord?

Old 03-12-15, 01:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2016 Acura RLX

Acura RLX gets chassis upgrades, AcuraWatch for 2016

2016 Acura RLX Adds AcuraWatch™ and Other Enhancements to Elevate Premium Sophistication and Value

AcuraWatch™ expands scope and content of safety and driver assistive technologies

Chassis tuning enhances ride quality; 19-inch wheels with new bright finish standard on all trims

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) unchanged

With the most comprehensive suite of safety and driver assistive technologies yet available on an Acura, the 2016 RLX luxury sedan goes on sale March 3 with manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) unchanged from the previous model year. This price hold represents a significant value, especially for the Technology package due to the addition of AcuraWatch™ and Advance package that includes the first U.S. application of Acura's Surround View Camera system3. Both RLX packages will also adopt the application of Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) and Cross Traffic Monitor.

The 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid, with three-motor hybrid system and electrically powered torque vectoring provided by the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system, will go on sale later in the spring.

The Acura RLX luxury sedan boasts an abundance of standard premium attributes and features. These include a powerful and smooth 310 horsepower, direct-injected i-VTEC V-6 engine that contributes to the RLX's EPA fuel economy ratings of 20/31/24 mpg (city/highway/combined)2, agile and sporty handling with Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS™), distinctive Jewel Eye™ LED headlights, 19-inch bright-finished wheels and next generation AcuraLink® connected car system.

Available on all trims and standard on the Technology and Advance packages, the RLX now includes AcuraWatch™, a comprehensive suite of safety and driver assistive technologies that help to improve the driver's situational awareness and, in certain circumstances, intervene to help avoid a collision or mitigate its severity. The AcuraWatch™ suite of available features – depending upon trim – includes:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF)
Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS)
Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
Road Departure Mitigation (RDM)
Blind Spot Information (BSI)
Multi-View Rear Camera with Dynamic Guidelines
Cross Traffic Monitor

AcuraWatch™
At the heart of AcuraWatch™ is the fusion of camera and radar technology that can sense the roadway and objects within it, including other vehicles and pedestrians. This technology underpins the systems that help provide the driver with superior vision around the vehicle, can alert the driver of potential issues and, if necessary, intervene to help keep the RLX from departing a lane, departing the road, or help to avoid or mitigate the severity of a collision. These systems include Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) and Cross Traffic Monitor, both of which are new to the RLX.

Surround View Camera3
For 2016, the Acura RLX with Advance Package includes the first U.S. application of Acura's Surround View Camera system3 that provides a 360-degree image of the area around the vehicle. The surround view camera system is designed to assist drivers during critical and precise maneuvers in snug parking situations. Using four separate cameras, views from behind, directly in front of, and both left and right sides of the vehicle can be displayed on the navigation screen. The system can also use all four cameras to seamlessly create a composite bird's eye image, to provide the driver with information about the surroundings. In addition, dynamic on-screen guidelines help the driver see their projected path relative to the lines demarking parking spaces or other objects, allowing them to maneuver with greater confidence.

Road Departure Mitigation (RDM)
New for the 2016 Acura RLX, Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) uses a Monocular Camera (mounted on the upper portion of the windshield) to identify solid or dashed painted lane lines, Botts' Dots and Cat Eye markers. RDM uses both steering force, via EPS, and braking force, via VSA, to help the RLX stay a detected lane.

The monocular camera can recognize lane features and identify a lane or roadway edge. If the RDM system determines that the RLX is about to leave a detected lane or roadway defined by solid lines, it will provide steering assist (primary) and, in rare occasions when steering is not sufficient, braking assist to help the driver stay on the road. If a lane only identified by dashed lines, Bott's Dots or Cat Eye markers and the system determines that there is an unintended departure, no braking assist will be provided. Instead, the RLX will use active steering force to return to the detected lane. RDM is integrated with the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system to provide moderate braking, and with the Electric Power Steering (EPS) system to provide steering input.

Multiple visual and audible warnings alert the driver when the RDM system is taking corrective action. These include a lane departure warning on the driver's Multi Information Display (MID) along with an audible warning. RDM also has a customizable initial warning of either a steering wheel shake/vibration and/or an audible alert. This can be customized in the vehicle settings.

Cross Traffic Monitor
Another new driver assistive technology included with AcuraWatch™, the Cross Traffic Monitor works in conjunction with the RLX's Blind Spot Information (BSI) radar sensors to enhance driver confidence when backing up. The system is especially useful when reversing in congested parking lots with an obstructed view from the driver's seat.

The system utilizes a pair of blind-spot radar units located in the rear bumper corners. When Reverse is selected and an approaching vehicle is detected, arrows indicating the approaching vehicle's direction are shown on the center display's rear camera image. An audible warning is simultaneously emitted.

Additional Enhancements for 2016 RLX
To improve overall ride and handling quality and reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), the chassis of the 2016 RLX has received multiple tuning refinements. Both the front and rear shock absorbers get an increase in piston rod diameter and the rear stabilizer bar's stiffness is decreased. The front and rear spring rates and shock absorber damping force were all decreased to provide better shock absorption and road surface tracking. Furthermore, the front upper spring/shock mounts and rear bump stops were changed for improved action.

The 2016 Acura RLX is available in three trims, RLX with Navigation, RLX with Technology Package and RLX with Advance Package. The RLX with Navigation has been upgraded for 2016 with the same larger 19-inch wheels as standard on the other trims with a new bright finish The RLX with Technology Package has been enhanced with AcuraWatch™ as standard. The RLX with Advance Package has been improved with AcuraWatch™ including surround view camera and a bi-directional remote engine starter. Also for 2016 a new Acura Silver Metallic color is available.

TRIM MSRP1 EPA Rating2
RLX with Navigation $50,950 20/31/24
RLX with Technology Package $54,450 20/31/24
RLX with Advance Package $60,450 20/31/24
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/12/2...es-acurawatch/

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-12-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 12:24 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to get this 2014 one somewhere but I read all this bad stuff that you are saying about this model. I can get a 2014 advanced with 16K miles on it for $37K with $1K of after upgrades done to it. THe guy that had it traded it in for a custom S Mercedes and was older so it isn't beat up but from what I hear in here it isn't worth it and just get a GS.
Old 04-14-15, 04:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
i think good question is always - would they buy it for themselves?

I wouldnt... not for $60k... 1yr old for $34k? I would get that probably if it was in my price range.
Old 04-14-15, 04:40 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
I was about to get this 2014 one somewhere but I read all this bad stuff that you are saying about this model. I can get a 2014 advanced with 16K miles on it for $37K with $1K of after upgrades done to it. THe guy that had it traded it in for a custom S Mercedes and was older so it isn't beat up but from what I hear in here it isn't worth it and just get a GS.
I don't think you can get GS with some advance package like Luxury or something for 37k in that mileage range but its true GS is a better car.

Now if you were looking at hybrids I would tell you to get RLX hybrid over GS450h any time.
Old 04-14-15, 07:56 PM
Trek
Pole Position

I test drove that thing before finally deciding on my first Lexus (GS 350). It rode smoothly, but it felt more like an appliance than a sports sedan. It's not a sports sedan. Acura's major mistake was pricing it in the class with the Lexus GS 350 but producing it with FWD (and the gimmicky rear wheel steering thingy) only. You had to purchase the vastly overpriced Hybrid to get AWD. Pretty stupid. Flat out dumb. It should've come out with AWD as an option without having to go Hybrid. Whoever made the decision on drive wheels is a moron. My proof: sales are a joke.

I'll say this, the interior is roomier than the GS. The rear seat room is closer to the Lexus LS. That was the one thing I liked better than the GS.
Old 04-14-15, 10:16 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ok, so it's a LWB accord with softer suspension.
Old 04-17-15, 08:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The real problem is the exterior styling just doesn't look substantial enough to compete with other cars in its class. It could have been the next TL as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-17-15, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
ok, so it's a LWB accord with softer suspension.
These comments are just silly. And an s-class is a 100k c class.
Old 04-17-15, 09:27 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Hard Hard to find a lexus gs with the advanced package things of the RLX. Haven't seen 1 yet with pre collision avoidance or the adaptive cruise control.

Quick Reply: 2016 Acura RLX