Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

ok, so it's a LWB accord with softer suspension.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
These comments are just silly. And an s-class is a 100k c class.
Agreed. I've reviewed both the latest Accord and RLX, and I get tired of seeing comments linking the two. The RLX might not be the equal of a Lexus LS, but it is clearly a luxury-grade vehicle. The Accord is not.
Old 04-18-15, 01:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
These comments are just silly. And an s-class is a 100k c class.
imagine if Lexus ES was Lexus LS.

yikes.
Old 04-18-15, 10:14 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove 200 miles to test drive this thing today. I drove the base model that didn't even have nav. It is too big and felt like driving a boat like the LS. IT was a lot rougher over roads then a LS. IT isn't sporty at all but the audio system in the advanced model I got in puts mark levingson to absolute shame. If you want a Big *** car and don't have to be sporty and don't want to feel the road when it is smooth and great audio get RLX advanced. I perfer the TLX to this thing.
Old 04-18-15, 10:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
ok, so it's a LWB accord with softer suspension.
Just because a car is based on the same or similar platform does not mean they are identical or they can't make them into their own unique cars. It is like saying a Lexus SC300 is just a Supra with leather because they are based on the same platform, they are both very different cars. The RLX may not be Acura's best effort but it is nothing like a Accord.
Old 04-19-15, 01:32 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
I test drove that thing before finally deciding on my first Lexus (GS 350). It rode smoothly, but it felt more like an appliance than a sports sedan. It's not a sports sedan. Acura's major mistake was pricing it in the class with the Lexus GS 350 but producing it with FWD (and the gimmicky rear wheel steering thingy) only. You had to purchase the vastly overpriced Hybrid to get AWD. Pretty stupid. Flat out dumb. It should've come out with AWD as an option without having to go Hybrid. Whoever made the decision on drive wheels is a moron. My proof: sales are a joke.

I'll say this, the interior is roomier than the GS. The rear seat room is closer to the Lexus LS. That was the one thing I liked better than the GS.
How is hybrid overpriced? Unless you are comparing it to dealer discounted FWD RLX then yeah but if you are going msrp vs msrp hybrid is the sensible choice here. I don't know if there are any hybrids left in the dealerships but if they are they are also getting discounted just for sitting on the floor. I don't like to play devils advocate but RLX hybrid is a gem, 29/30mpg avg if you are in a continental climate, sub 5 sec 0-60 and very competent AWD.
Old 04-19-15, 04:10 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
Just because a car is based on the same or similar platform does not mean they are identical or they can't make them into their own unique cars. It is like saying a Lexus SC300 is just a Supra with leather because they are based on the same platform, they are both very different cars. The RLX may not be Acura's best effort but it is nothing like a Accord.
If it is based on the Accord it's rather plus than a minus.
Old 04-19-15, 08:08 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
imagine if Lexus ES was Lexus LS.

yikes.

Which would make the Lexus LS a LWB Camry. Yikes indeed.