Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The One and Only SKODA SUPERB in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 11:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The One and Only SKODA SUPERB in the USA

How does it feel to ride the only Skoda Superb in USA? [video]

A right-hand drive estate model

Bob Flavin from The Next Gear has released a new video, showing him driving the only Skoda Superb in the USA.

As you may now, Volkswagen and Audi are selling cars in North America, but Skoda is still not entering this market. Some say the brand is not recognizable and the Americans won’t buy it and that’s the reason why VW Group is still not making this move.

In the video above you can see the only Skoda Superb in the USA, a right-hand drive estate example from the previous generation of the model. Bob Flavin “talks to the lovely people of Washington about the car” and finds out they actually like it.

Source: Bob Flavin

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503089...-superb-in-usa
Old 03-10-15, 12:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Not bad but nothing mind blowing. Americans dont like estate cars . They like SUVs ( or vans ) because they are all huge and all have huge children.....including myself lol
Old 03-10-15, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Is this guy a reviewer or a Skoda salesman? Seems like he's trying to sell the car more than review it...or at least get it imported here.

Having said that, though, I do agree that wagons (estates), in general, are underappreciated here in America, with our craze for crossover SUVs. My opinion is (and having owned an Outback for 6 years) is that raised-suspension wagons with AWD are more car like than crossover SUVs in their road manners....and, of course, standard-height wagons even more so. Still, some newer SUVs (the Jeep Grand Cherokee, especially,comes to mind), can be a pleasure to drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-10-15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 02:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Bob Flavin is a car reviewer from 'The Next Gear'.

I reckon that he brought this Right Hand Drive Skoda Superb from his home country in Ireland and will let it stay in the USA for the next few days or so.

Anyways, based on the reactions, it seems that the American locals he interviewed seem positive about the car. After all, this is the top-of-the-line Laurin and Klement trim version.
Old 03-11-15, 04:10 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A more reliable Volkswagen. America could use that.
Old 03-11-15, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Bob Flavin is a car reviewer from 'The Next Gear'.
Perhaps, but in this specific video, I just got the impression he was acting more like a salesman than a reviewer.

I reckon that he brought this Right Hand Drive Skoda Superb from his home country in Ireland and will let it stay in the USA for the next few days or so.
I'd have to plead at least some ignorance on this one. I know that Britain and Scotland are right-hand-drive, but didn't know about Ireland.

Anyways, based on the reactions, it seems that the American locals he interviewed seem positive about the car. After all, this is the top-of-the-line Laurin and Klement trim version.
I don't see any reason why Americans, in general, shouldn't more receptive to estates and wagons than they are....they seem to be turning down a god thing. The raised-suspension /AWD models like Outback, Venza, Cross-Country, All-Road, etc..... can do just about anything on-road than a crossover SUV can....and with car-like road manners, although, as I stated earlier, the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is also a pleasure to drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-15 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-11-15, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

worst... car... name... ever.
Old 03-11-15, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
worst... car... name... ever.
Subjective, I guess, but Top Gear magazine is usually quite impressed with Skodas in general, and especially with this one. However, I can't give my own opinion because I haven't driven one....except to essentially say what I did above......I don't see any credible reason I my book why Americans should be so adverse to wagons.
Old 03-13-15, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Subjective, I guess
sure but you don't think "Superb" is a lame name? what's next, the VW Awesome or Toyota B1tchin?

Top Gear magazine is usually quite impressed with Skodas in general
maybe since it was bought by vw in 2000, but before that, skodas (from czech rep.) were junk.

I don't see any credible reason I my book why Americans should be so adverse to wagons.
well you mentioned in your earlier post why they might consider a raised wagon like outback, but given the space in this country, there's NO reason not to get a much more practical cuv/suv over a wagon.
Old 03-13-15, 12:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

sure but you don't think "Superb" is a lame name? what's next, the VW Awesome or Toyota B1tchin?
Old 03-13-15, 01:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In my experience, bit, don't even try and figure out auto marketers. Common sense is often not part of their scenario.

Although, having said that, I judge a vehicle primarily by its contents and performance, and usually couldn't care less what the marketers name it.

maybe since it was bought by vw in 2000, but before that, skodas (from czech rep.) were junk.
True, and that's WHY Top gear likes Skodas today....VW refinement and road manners at a generally lower price. As to the pre-2000 models being junk, I can't comment on that because I have not had any experience with them. Perhaps when you lived in Britain, you had a chance to check some out?

well you mentioned in your earlier post why they might consider a raised wagon like outback, but given the space in this country, there's NO reason not to get a much more practical cuv/suv over a wagon.
Well, I wasn't necessarily referring to the country's large size. For that matter, there are a number of other countries physically the same size or larger than we are.....China, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Russia, etc.....) I was getting at was that, outside of Subarus, Americans, for some reason, just seem to be adverse to buying traditional or even raised-suspension/AWD wagons. I don't totally understand why.....given that these vehicles can often do the same things that SUVs often do, short of going off-road or pulling trailers (and some crossover car-based SUVs are quite limited even in that department). But, when manufacturers outside of Subaru DO offer traditional wagons here in the U.S., they simply don't sell in anywhere near the number that sedans do. In Europe, it seems to be the opposite......there, they appreciate the wagon's space-efficiency and outward-visibility.

I myself had an Outback for six years....and can fully understand that car's popularity, even here. It could do virtually anything on-road that an SUV could, while driving just like a regular sedan (though a somewhat underpowered one with the flat-four and automatic/AWD).

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 12:04 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

If Skoda wouldn't work, then VAG could try bringing in SEAT instead.

This would appeal well to the increasing number of Spanish speakers in the USA
Old 03-14-15, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Bear in mind...I live here...and drove through several of the areas he filmed this morning.

We have lots of diplomats in DC. It is not at all unusual to see car models and cars from manufacturers we don't have here driven in DC, and its not unusual to see RHD cars either. Its not every day...but I don't even react when I see one anymore. He was driving in areas where there are lots of tourists, and Georgetown is certainly one of those areas. Lots of tourists and non DC native college students. Perhaps they were interested in the Skoda, but normal DC folk? Nah.

Old 03-14-15, 05:22 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have Skoda's here and I can honestly say that they're junk.

Also what's up with the naming? Superb, Fabia..?
Old 03-14-15, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
We have Skoda's here and I can honestly say that they're junk.
"Junk", by your description, meaning what? Unreliable? Poorly-engineered? Unpleasant to drive? Shoddily-built? The term "Junk" can cover a lot of territory, from a lot of definitions. Top Gear, for one (although you are free to disagree with them), thinks quite highly of most Skoda products, as they offer VW engineering at a somewhat lower price.

Not only that, but compared to the vehicles here in the U.S. that I had to deal with, on a daily basis, back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, especially from the American-brands, it is truly difficult, IMO, to call almost any of today's vehicles junk.

Also what's up with the naming? Superb, Fabia..?
Well, that's generally the main thread topic, and what we're discussing....Skoda naming their mid-size wagon (estate) the Superb, and (apparently) the only one of its kind in the U.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-15 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: The One and Only SKODA SUPERB in the USA