Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 09:57 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has Clarkson issued any statements following all of this? Seems as though he has been silent.
Old 04-07-15, 11:35 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=11428518

Sounds like he's decided to keep quiet to allow Top Gear to move on.
Old 04-07-15, 02:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think that in all fairness that he owes the fans an explanation or at least a statement of some kind
Old 04-07-15, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

probably legal considerations...
Old 04-07-15, 06:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I imagine that his attorney may have told him to shut the hell up.
Old 04-07-15, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it is a smart move for him to stay quiet anyway
Old 04-08-15, 11:40 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

everybody made a mistake. Best is for all to walk away.
Old 04-10-15, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, folks, it looks like he just might be going back to BBC after all........only this time, without Top Gear. He'll have another show...but the article is unclear on whether he will start on April 24 or a later date.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/09/j...-not-top-gear/

Jeremy Clarkson has been one of the most discussed automotive personalities in the world in recent weeks since his suspension from Top Gear and the BBC's decision not to renew the presenter's contract, but we definitely haven't seen the last on him on TV. In fact, Clarkson will make his return to the Beeb in just a few weeks, but the job won't have anything to do with cars. Instead, he will be guest host on the show Have I Got News For You on April 24.

At first glance, it certainly seems odd to have Clarkson hosting a program on the BBC just weeks after getting the boot by the network. However, a network spokesperson clarified things to BBC News, saying: "Jeremy's contract has not been renewed on Top Gear but he isn't banned from appearing on the BBC."

Have I Got News For You is a show that invites a panel of guests to make humorous observations about current events and politics. Clarkson has hosted there several times and actually had trouble once before. According to BBC News, while presenting in 2008, he threw a pen at a guest causing a cut to the person's face.

Given Clarkson's general inability to keep his mouth shut about anything that's even slightly controversial, his first return to hosting on the BBC should be rather interesting. It's hard to imagine Clarkson not making some comment about his predicament over the last few weeks... but we'll just have to wait and see.

UPDATE: It looks like Jezza is not returning to the BBC after all. At least not yet. The Mirror reports that Clarkson won't be on the April 24 broadcast of Have I Got New For You but will pick up hosting duties later this year, according to the managing director of the show's production company.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-10-15 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 04:21 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a huge Clarkson fan,,so to me, one must wonder when this is all said and done and we look back on the series of events here IF it wasn't just pure marketing genius that we are witnessing here.
Old 04-11-15, 08:37 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
I'm a huge Clarkson fan,,so to me, one must wonder when this is all said and done and we look back on the series of events here IF it wasn't just pure marketing genius that we are witnessing here.
I was discussing the same thing with some peoples last night.

I mean... we can literally use Jeremy's closing line from the show to end the entire series.

"And on that bombshell..."

Old 04-11-15, 12:43 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelmin
I was discussing the same thing with some peoples last night.

I mean... we can literally use Jeremy's closing line from the show to end the entire series.

"And on that bombshell..."

LOL.... Truth
Old 04-13-15, 12:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For some time I've had a question related to the topic of Top Gear and Clarkson's supposed dismissal - considering the way these shows are produced. I've been a producer for more years than I'd care to think about, but although mine were generally "industrials", I have a pretty fair familiarity with the concept of bringing "entertainment" programming to market. Here's my problem with the "dismissal" as described:

Clarkson isn't "live" on the air producing his quips at random directly to your TV screen. The program is taped - and someone had to see and pass on his script. Failing that, if Clarkson is allowed to just run "stream of consciousness" during his segments, there's a couple dozen executives, producers, editors, and assistants who would or should have caught his less PC comments and called a meeting. No, Jeremy Clarkson - nor anyone else - doesn't run uncensored to worldwide coverage. These people know what's at stake and standing around pointing at Clarkson for his uncontrolled mouth rather ignores the realities of "reality" television.

A good rule of thumb for watching anything on television or in the movies for that matter, is "Who is holding the camera?" These people don't just appear on your home screen at will, there's a whole cadre of production people behind the scenes, at least a dozen of whom have the authority to step in and bleep an incautious performer. Witness Gordon Ramsey, whose 30-minute programs must consist of about 4-1/2 minutes of continuous bleep - diced into smaller pieces and tossed into the dish, simply because he seems to have a limited vocabulary reminiscent of Ozzie Osbourne's. No, Clarkson is paid to be brash and borderline insulting - but the decision to go to air with that episode (and others) in question falls at the doorstep of the producer(s) of the program.

This incident looks more like a gamble by the production company, testing the authority of Executive Producer Andy Wilman over that of the BBC. If there's blame to be shared here, Wilman stands front and center for letting Clarkson continue to make a fool of himself on air for whatever reason. BBC may have pulled the rug out from under the host(s), but at present it looks like the principles will go on with plans for a tour of "Clarkson, Hammond and May Live" that could well become the next generation of a "Top Gear"-like program - under another banner. While Clarkson sold the rights for "Top Gear" as an international franchise to BBC a few years ago, it doesn't mean he and his cohorts can't produce a new and improved version of the program with a title to be named later. If the acceptance of "Top Gear"'s local spinoffs is any indication, even the old program title may find itself back on the market shortly.
Old 04-14-15, 04:27 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
For some time I've had a question related to the topic of Top Gear and Clarkson's supposed dismissal - considering the way these shows are produced. I've been a producer for more years than I'd care to think about, but although mine were generally "industrials", I have a pretty fair familiarity with the concept of bringing "entertainment" programming to market. Here's my problem with the "dismissal" as described:

Clarkson isn't "live" on the air producing his quips at random directly to your TV screen. The program is taped - and someone had to see and pass on his script. Failing that, if Clarkson is allowed to just run "stream of consciousness" during his segments, there's a couple dozen executives, producers, editors, and assistants who would or should have caught his less PC comments and called a meeting. No, Jeremy Clarkson - nor anyone else - doesn't run uncensored to worldwide coverage. These people know what's at stake and standing around pointing at Clarkson for his uncontrolled mouth rather ignores the realities of "reality" television.

A good rule of thumb for watching anything on television or in the movies for that matter, is "Who is holding the camera?" These people don't just appear on your home screen at will, there's a whole cadre of production people behind the scenes, at least a dozen of whom have the authority to step in and bleep an incautious performer. Witness Gordon Ramsey, whose 30-minute programs must consist of about 4-1/2 minutes of continuous bleep - diced into smaller pieces and tossed into the dish, simply because he seems to have a limited vocabulary reminiscent of Ozzie Osbourne's. No, Clarkson is paid to be brash and borderline insulting - but the decision to go to air with that episode (and others) in question falls at the doorstep of the producer(s) of the program.

This incident looks more like a gamble by the production company, testing the authority of Executive Producer Andy Wilman over that of the BBC. If there's blame to be shared here, Wilman stands front and center for letting Clarkson continue to make a fool of himself on air for whatever reason. BBC may have pulled the rug out from under the host(s), but at present it looks like the principles will go on with plans for a tour of "Clarkson, Hammond and May Live" that could well become the next generation of a "Top Gear"-like program - under another banner. While Clarkson sold the rights for "Top Gear" as an international franchise to BBC a few years ago, it doesn't mean he and his cohorts can't produce a new and improved version of the program with a title to be named later. If the acceptance of "Top Gear"'s local spinoffs is any indication, even the old program title may find itself back on the market shortly.
Lil4X - Clarkson was not dismissed for his language. He was dismissed for his behavior off camera in the way he chose to resolve his issues with the producer Oisin(?). With bare hands.
Old 04-21-15, 09:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

in other news both may and hammond have started youtube channels

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChm...X0PTMTrohBZ5Qw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC24...ZsNiRJW4oDTmog

so far may has shown us how to make shepherd's pie, carbonara, and some british jingles on the recorder
hammond has a video called 'bored' about him being bored ha ha ha

Last edited by Stroock639; 04-21-15 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 09:22 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/JeremyClark...8005756607523/

clarkson explaining why faster cars are safer (features a lovely 2nd gen GS)