Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Old 04-01-15, 12:33 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
She's a little off her rocker.

Check out this glorious image from the article though, lol:

Old 04-01-15, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
top gear production costs must have been HUGE. it will take a big $ commitment for someone else to want to pull off something similar. but it definitely could be done.
I think you'd be surprised about the production costs. The BBC isn't one to take on incredible production costs. Lets think about it...what costs do they have? The vehicles they test are provided as press cars. They film in an old airport hangar. They have a test track paved out of an old airfield. The "challenges" are done with old, secondhand vehicles that aren't expensive. Filming on location for films and for the specials is no more expensive than filming any documentary on location.

The production costs of a show like Top Gear are WAY smaller than any scripted drama as a comparison.
Old 04-01-15, 02:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think you'd be surprised about the production costs. The BBC isn't one to take on incredible production costs. Lets think about it...what costs do they have? The vehicles they test are provided as press cars. They film in an old airport hangar. They have a test track paved out of an old airfield. The "challenges" are done with old, secondhand vehicles that aren't expensive. Filming on location for films and for the specials is no more expensive than filming any documentary on location.

The production costs of a show like Top Gear are WAY smaller than any scripted drama as a comparison.
That's why so called "reality" shows are popular with networks, they're relatively cheap to crank out.
Old 04-02-15, 06:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

the 'hanger' and track stuff is obviously dirt cheap, but the on location shoots cannot be that cheap - they do helicopter footage, lots of moving footage in all kinds of terrain, all kinds of other fancy cinematic footage, and a crapton of editing and effects.

regardless, it's a cool show i hope keeps going there or somewhere else. i personally don't care if bbc gets 3 new hosts who are great and the other guys just fade away.
Old 04-02-15, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

the 'hanger' and track stuff is obviously dirt cheap, but the on location shoots cannot be that cheap - they do helicopter footage, lots of moving footage in all kinds of terrain, all kinds of other fancy cinematic footage, and a crapton of editing and effects.
That stuff is cheap. They do that sort of thing for reality shows all the time, documentaries, way cheaper than paying for expensive sets, lighting, an entire cast of actors, writing and scripts, etc. Thats why networks love reality shows.
Old 04-02-15, 09:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Production costs for the show look pretty expensive, from camera work, what they do, location shoots, trips to foreign coutries, etc.

Without Clarkson, TOP GEAR UK is done. They may try other people but I don't think it will last, the whole thing just worked with all those guys together. Well at least I am not as disappointed that my cable company dropped BBC America now though I still would like to watch TG reruns.
Old 04-03-15, 06:25 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All 3 have left the show now, not just clarkson. .
Old 04-03-15, 07:01 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
All 3 have left the show now, not just clarkson. .
I think that was expected. Personally I think it'll be easier to relaunch tguk with 3 all new personalities than trying to find a replacement for just Clarkson or just Hammond and May. This way they can totally revamp it.
Old 04-03-15, 08:40 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TGUSA ftw.
Old 04-03-15, 08:41 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

It is a shame they wont be able to show the rest of the season since they have them recorded already. They should release them as a DVD segment.
Old 04-03-15, 04:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
It is a shame they wont be able to show the rest of the season since they have them recorded already. They should release them as a DVD segment.
what's a dvd?
Old 04-04-15, 06:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sad that the show is over, but honestly I can't say that I will miss it much. It's got too stagnant lately, and Clarkson drifting every car while yelling "powwwweeeer" was getting old. In the last few years I was only excited about their Christmas specials, but regular seasons were just ok.

In these days there are plenty of independent car shows on youtube, and there are three guys in Russia that do their own youtube car shows that are far more entertaining, humorous and informative than Top Gear.
Old 04-04-15, 10:02 AM
RXSF

what's a dvd?
lol, well once in a while clarkson does release his own DVD specials. Maybe I am stuck in the 2000s
Old 04-04-15, 10:03 AM
RXSF

Originally Posted by Och
Sad that the show is over, but honestly I can't say that I will miss it much. It's got too stagnant lately, and Clarkson drifting every car while yelling "powwwweeeer" was getting old. In the last few years I was only excited about their Christmas specials, but regular seasons were just ok.

In these days there are plenty of independent car shows on youtube, and there are three guys in Russia that do their own youtube car shows that are far more entertaining, humorous and informative than Top Gear.
Do they speak english? subtitles?
Old 04-07-15, 09:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Clarkson won't face charges ...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle23819495/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clarkson terminated from Top Gear