Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 05:27 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Attacked someone else down the road? Lol.

History will prove this to be one of the worst decisions ever by a network, similar to a Sheen-less 2 1/2 Men as another member had previously opined.
Old 03-28-15, 07:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Attacked someone else down the road? Lol.

History will prove this to be one of the worst decisions ever by a network, similar to a Sheen-less 2 1/2 Men as another member had previously opined.

As much as a love Top Gear and watching Jeremy Clarkson, I do have to hand it to the BBC for sticking by their ethics and firing him, no matter the $$$$ it may have cost them.

As a side note, I do think the BBC has done a **** poor job of managning Clarkson and Top Gear in general. Why on earth did they let the "slope" comment or Jeremey's use of the n word get to the public. The BBC could not reel Jeremy in, and look what happened.

That whole trip to Patagona was a horrible idea, IMO not because of the number plate on the Porsche, but because local politicians stirred up anti-British sentiment in their communities as a way to win re-election. The whole crew could've been locked up in jail triggering an international incident. Or worse somebody could've been seriously injured or killed by the angry mob.
Old 03-28-15, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That whole trip to Patagona was a horrible idea, IMO not because of the number plate on the Porsche, but because local politicians stirred up anti-British sentiment in their communities as a way to win re-election. The whole crew could've been locked up in jail triggering an international incident. Or worse somebody could've been seriously injured or killed by the angry mob.
Doubtful. The Argies learned over 30 years ago not to mess with Brits.....although it's true that some of them may have forgotten.
Old 03-28-15, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doubtful. The Argies learned over 30 years ago not to mess with Brits.....although it's true that some of them may have forgotten.
it's also true that few realize just how deeply and secretly involved the u.s. was alongside the brits.
Old 03-29-15, 03:43 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be interesting to see what becomes of Oisin in the coming days. Like it or not, BBC lost a big source of income because of his inability as an effective producer.
Old 03-29-15, 04:00 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
It would be interesting to see what becomes of Oisin in the coming days. Like it or not, BBC lost a big source of income because of his inability as an effective producer.
Give it a rest. BBC, Clarkson, and Oisin have moved on.
Old 03-29-15, 04:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Yup, it's a done deal and life will go on.
Old 03-30-15, 11:41 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gyrase321
I'd like to believe that too. But life has taught me there are a lot of people who think differently, and keep track of who hurt and who helped them.
Old 03-30-15, 07:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like TG is not on Netflix now.
Old 04-01-15, 02:28 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Top Gear co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May have left the show.....
Old 04-01-15, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Top Gear co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May have left the show.....
The trio are doing the live shows rebranded. Hopefully that leads to them deciding to move on and do something else together on another network or outlet.

I'm interested to see what Andy Wilman does too. He says his email wasn't a resignation, sure sounded like he was leaving to me lol
Old 04-01-15, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The trio are doing the live shows rebranded. Hopefully that leads to them deciding to move on and do something else together on another network or outlet.
Or maybe, if enough money and resources to back them are there, they could start a new organization of their own...perhaps a more or less British version of Motorweek.

Given Clarkson's mannerisms and personality, I think that may (?) be the best option for him the long run, if he doesn't retire....simply being his own boss in his own organization, and not having to deal with superiors. If May and Hammond can get along with him, (and they have been together a long time), they would be part of it, too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-15 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-01-15, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I don't want to see a British version of Motor Week. I want to see Top Gear. Motor Week is a show I flip through the TV and catch it and say "I guess I'll watch that", Top Gear is a show I plan to watch. No comparison.

They could form their own production company, but they still need distribution and syndication, its pretty complicated. Remember too that Clarkson and May aren't exactly young either.

I think what they need is to go work for an outfit that values them and what they do and can support them in the way they need to be supported. Is that Netflix? Is it ITV? Is it a US outlet?
Old 04-01-15, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

top gear production costs must have been HUGE. it will take a big $ commitment for someone else to want to pull off something similar. but it definitely could be done.
Old 04-01-15, 10:42 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

ho ho ho
“Life cannot be run by one rule book sitting in the office of HR.”
“Oisin Tymon will now need a security detail to move about with any safety.
“That was your choice, mate. You could have squared this away like a lad but you chose to sit crying in A&E.”
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...-oisin-5409786

Quick Reply: Clarkson terminated from Top Gear