Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I ask because it has been claimed that terminating Clarkson will result in the BBC suffering massive financial losses. From my reading of the BBC's financial statements, it looks like the whole network makes gross revenues of about 4.5 billion pounds annually. Top Gear generates about 150 million pounds. So Top Gear contributes 3.3% to BBC's top line. Assuming Top Gear is cancelled, BBC loses 3.3%. If Top Gear is continued but makes only half because of the departure of Clarkson, BBC will lose 1.65%. Even the worst case scenario of a 3.3% loss doesn't seem like the catastrophe it is portrayed to be.
Agreed. It also depends on how many people, like T0ked, will keep on watching the show even after Clarkson's firing.

Originally Posted by T0ked

Everyone is replaceable, even Jeremy.

I'm still watching it, with or without him.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-26-15, 10:58 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The show as we knew it is done, however the graveyard is full of indispensible people. I dont know how he could have survived after assaulting the producer or anyone else attached to the show, nor IMHO should he.
JTMav
Old 03-26-15, 02:19 PM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

It's the end of an era.

I will very much miss seeing Jezza, Hamster, Captain Slow and their shenanigans.

I've read some rather 'unique' comments on the subject. (Jeremy being sacked...)

I like to keep a few things in mind while reading the discussions...

The trio are first and foremost, journalists.
So its not like presenting "Top Gear" was their only job.
Also they've all worked on other projects in the past with which they could fall back onto, if the need arose.

Otherwise... for now... they've all earned a long, and well deserved break for all the entertainment they've brought to the entire woooorld, over the years.

I salute you Top Gear Trio of Doom

On that bombshell... It's time to end the sho....

Last edited by Kelmin; 03-26-15 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

They should join up and form 'Better Gear', take that BBC
Old 03-26-15, 02:27 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I just wish they'd bring Netflix up to date. I think they're a couple seasons behind, aren't they?

I'll forever miss the specials they had.
Old 03-26-15, 02:34 PM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The three of these guys will be back. Netflix, something.
Now wouldn't that be a treat!!!

Clarkson, Hammond, May, doing an off-shoot of the current Top Gear UK, exclusive to Netflix, just as other Netflix Original shows!!!

I wonder if the IP for the current Top Gear UK would bring in enough new viewers to Netflix, to even consider striking up such a deal??

I could imagine the 3 of them becoming even more successful than before.

I would totally love to see this happen.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I just wish they'd bring Netflix up to date. I think they're a couple seasons behind, aren't they?

I'll forever miss the specials they had.
Yes you're right, they're quite far behind now.
I wonder if its due to BBC America not allowing Netflix to license the rights to broadcast...

Last edited by Kelmin; 03-26-15 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 03:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

after reading bbc's statement and watching that foul-mouthed belligerent video of clarkson at a charity event no less, it should come as no surprise that he was let go. not having his contract renewed is not the same as being fired either.

now bbc is a very political and politically correct outfit, not to mention government run, but they (hypocritically) put up with clarkson's antics because the ratings were so huge and the money inflow was huge. top gear has probably made more people know about the 'beeb' since monty python.

but that's now over. i suspect top gear will go on though, and it's quite possible may and hammond will be courted and stay, unless a huge offer comes from elsewhere.

overall though, bbc did the right thing imo. growing up in england, i knew people like clarkson. he may be very funny on air, in his oafish, disheveled loudmouth way, but there seems to be little to like about the man otherwise. i'm sure i'd enjoy a beer with him in person, but the novelty might soon wear off after the opinionated biases and superior smugness began to show.
Old 03-26-15, 03:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Clarkson needs to take responsibility. The BBC didn't eff up the show HE did. Him alone, no one else.
Old 03-26-15, 04:56 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Clarkson needs to take responsibility. The BBC didn't eff up the show HE did. Him alone, no one else.
So friggin true.
Old 03-26-15, 05:49 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So does Lexus/Toyota hate TopGear?

Toyota pays tribute to Clarkson.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/26/j...o-oisin-tymon/
Old 03-26-15, 06:32 PM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
So youre saying theyre not suing for defamation for his RCF review? Or wait this must be reverse psychology tactics to make Clarkson drop his guard.

Thanks for clearing that up i know some people needed that. But probably still wont believe it.
Old 03-26-15, 07:01 PM
Orion
Rookie

Someone mentioned in another thread that his misrepresentation of the RCF was what ultimately led to his demise. Glad to see this positive twist!
Old 03-26-15, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion
Someone mentioned in another thread that his misrepresentation of the RCF was what ultimately led to his demise. Glad to see this positive twist!
No offense to that person, but I'm not sure I totally agree with that line. First, by nature, auto reviewing is a somewhat objective business...opinions can and do differ (read, for example, the numerous different accounts of the latest Toyota Avalon if you want to see how one car, in particular, can impress different reviewers different ways). Second, unless he knew and deliberately posted false data about the car, it's probably hard to prove deliberate "misrepresentation" without actually seeing into some one's head....and the fact that Clarkson drank (though fortunately not behind the wheel) didn't make seeing into his head any easier. Third, Clarkson has a long history of making snide remarks about vehicles he doesn't like, and, if they had wanted to, BBC could have reprimanded or disciplined him long ago. There seems to be little doubt, at least IMHO, that it was the physical altercation with Tymon that caused his firing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-15 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 10:51 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screw clarkson. He is a racist and a bully. This was my favorite show...by far. Ever. But he got what he deserved. And was given a longer leash than anyone in America wouldve.
Old 03-26-15, 11:27 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe...but he is very funny and the world needs to laugh more ...
The others have now resigned so it wont be long and the show will be back same as before

Quick Reply: Clarkson terminated from Top Gear