Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 09:52 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

End of an era. He should go to Fifth Gear...
Old 03-25-15, 10:02 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBC releases statement on Clarkson
Tony Hall, the BBC’s Director-General, has released the following statement.

“It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.

“I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4th March. Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.

“I want to make three points.

“First – The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect. I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.

“Second – This has obviously been difficult for everyone involved but in particular for Oisin. I want to make clear that no blame attaches to him for this incident. He has behaved with huge integrity throughout. As a senior producer at the BBC he will continue to have an important role within the organisation in the future.

“Third – Obviously none of us wanted to find ourselves in this position. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear. Jeremy is a huge talent. He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come.

“The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series.”

Old 03-25-15, 10:29 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Too many egos involved here. It's too bad. My son and I can watch all the reruns now...
Old 03-25-15, 10:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it possible to have Top Gear without Clarkson? Yes.

It won't be the same though. The chemistry of its hosts made the show.

Clarkson's shoes will be difficult to fit...
Old 03-25-15, 10:42 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top gear will be cancelled sooner or later due to low ratings... it's a matter of how much pain bbc wants to take before doing so.
Old 03-25-15, 12:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. I dont care if he ran over the producer. He is Top Gear.

a message from I8ABMR..........SCREW THE BBC...........now we return to our regularly scheduled programming .
Old 03-25-15, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
It's his show. He made it what it is. He carried it(not to detract from May or Hammond, who are both excellent presenters). No Clarkson, no Top Gear.
I still think Jay Leno would make a good replacement for Clarkson. He is both a comedian and a car-enthusiast by nature, with one of the largest collections of private cars in the world. All he lacks is a British accent.
Old 03-25-15, 01:05 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Can we add a poll for the replacement?

I vote for Shmee, the young guy in the UK who seems to have amazing access to all sorts of exotic cars.
so he has access. So?
Old 03-25-15, 01:11 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Radio 1 controller Ben Cooper said: "I think if my son or daughter went to a place of work where they were shouted at, abused and someone threw a punch at them .."
If you want to play with the lions....
Old 03-25-15, 01:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

They had an epic run
Old 03-25-15, 01:58 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

One of the most entertaining TV hosts in the wooorld.

Fortunately he'll find other work. Meanwhile, this is the only time anybody will ever know the producer's name.
Old 03-25-15, 02:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RCF = Really, Clarkson's Fired?
Old 03-25-15, 04:03 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

whatever they do, please don't hire that obnoxious pretentious pierce morgan
Old 03-25-15, 05:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
You'll enjoy your car a lot more if you stop caring about what other people say about it.
amen.......
Old 03-25-15, 05:43 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

chikoo,

This is a web forum. We all throw out ideas, some are crahp and some are better than average.

If you have seen Shmee in action, he has a reverance for supercars that is pretty likable. And his access is worth something because he is clearly making some coin from his web stuff.

I don't even have a TV anymore and really don't care if top gear flies or dies.

This is just a fun thread because of the polarizing nature of Clarkson. One of the insights I get from the thread relates to ethics. Some folks here want to be entertained and don't seem to care that Clarkson appeared to have done enough wrong to get his *** shown the door.

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 03-25-15 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Clarkson terminated from Top Gear