Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 06:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Does anybody have a source that actually says the show has been cancelled? The show has not been cancelled based on anything I can find. Clarkson has not been fired. Posting in all caps isn't a source.

The guy screwed up. People screw up. This is not just about this issue, it's been building for years. The BBC loved the profit, but hated the lack of sophistication...something like this has been inevitable.
Old 03-14-15, 06:32 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Just a PR move, this show is not going anywhere.
Old 03-14-15, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Just a PR move, this show is not going anywhere.
Even if he were to leave, I think the BBC would try to keep the show going. Too much money at stake for them to just cancel if.
Old 03-14-15, 06:41 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah I did. There's no source, I can write an article too and put an "update" at the top. Doesn't make it true. Plenty of other outlets have reported what was in his column, nobody has come to this conclusion but this "auto evolution" site nobody has ever heard of.

When the BBC reports it I'll believe it.
Agree on all points.
Old 03-14-15, 06:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Pamperme, SW13GS, please take the back and forth to PM.
Old 03-14-15, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

New article from Road and Track:

MAR 14, 2015 CAR CULTUREENTERTAINMENT
No, Jeremy Clarkson hasn't quit Top Gear yet
Any reports that he has are a stretch. More importantly, it doesn't matter.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-top-gear-yet/
Old 03-15-15, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

new article. seems like clarkson not ready to be done - apologized to head of bbc.

independent inquiry starts tomorrow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-BBC-boss.html
Old 03-15-15, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

more dirt from a box in that article...

The BBC launched an astonishing attack on Jeremy Clarkson yesterday, comparing him to sex offender Jimmy Savile and urging him to check into rehab.
Blaming the now notorious 'fracas' with a Top Gear producer on 'personal issues', one of the most senior Corporation executives said Clarkson was 'self-destructing' and needed help.
Most controversially, the TV chief, who has been directly involved in the fallout from the incident, likened Clarkson's supporters – including the Prime Minister – to those who turned a blind eye to Savile's appalling crimes.
Last night, friends of the 54-year-old presenter expressed disbelief that the BBC should make such explosive claims before its internal investigation into the controversy had even begun.
'I am in total shock that someone at the BBC would attack their own talent and deliberately smear Jeremy,' said Perry McCarthy, who was Top Gear's mysterious test driver The Stig.
The comments came during a wide-ranging official briefing given to The Mail on Sunday by a senior BBC figure.
The executive likened 36-year-old Tymon's position to that of Savile's victims, who feared they would not be believed while he was alive.
'The pressure this guy [Tymon] is under is so Savilesque in a way,' he said, adding that Clarkson's support from high-level politicians recalled the way Savile was once defended.
'If you look at what David Cameron says or what [former Culture and Media Secretary] Maria Miller says and you swap Clarkson for Savile, you get this: David Cameron is effectively saying that Savile's a real talent, Maria Miller saying Savile will be Savile.'
The BBC executive also said that attempts to suggest the ‘fracas’ was part of a wider battle between Clarkson and Danny Cohen, the BBC’s powerful director of television, were misleading.

Old 03-15-15, 09:14 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After reading the dailymail article, my blood boils at the disgusting flow of pacification Clarkson's "followers" are surrounding his most recent, ABSOLUTELY APPALLING behavior. It pains me that Olsin comes across as weak and fragile and unable to defend his position, when he was clearly the victim of workplace violence and abuse. I say FIRE CLARKSON'S BUTT!!! No one, and I mean NO ONE, should ever be above morality and the obligation for treating their co-workers respectfully and non-violently. I WANT HIM GONE!! And any of his goat followers that incite violence as a result, need to be firmly dealt with accordingly! Their reaction, along with the blind eyes turned to him on this very forum are almost just as appalling as mr Clarkson's recent behavior that catapulted him into this fiasco.

Last edited by Pamperme; 03-15-15 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 09:26 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
After reading the dailymail article, my blood boils at the disgusting flow of pacification Clarkson's "followers" are surrounding his most recent, ABSOLUTELY APPALLING behavior. It pains me that Olsin comes across as weak and fragile and unable to defend his position, when he was clearly the victim of workplace violence and abuse. I say FIRE CLARKSON'S BUTT!!! No one, and I mean NO ONE, should ever be above morality and the obligation for treating their co-workers respectfully and non-violently. I WANT HIM GONE!! And any of his sheep followers that incite violence as a result, need to be firmly dealt with accordingly! Their reaction, along with the blind eyes turned to him on this very forum are almost just as appalling as mr Clarkson's recent behavior that catapulted him into this fiasco.
You really ought to have known that if it's in the Daily Mail, it most probably has an extremely limited basis in fact. You've essentially let yourself get wound up by the British equivalent of the National Enquirer.
Old 03-15-15, 09:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Pamperme, please exit this thread

Absolutely fine for you to state your disagreement with Clarkson's actions, but the continued aggressive and rude commentary towards other forum members who have a different opinion than yours is not appropriate. (some posts removed)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-15-15 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 01:33 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it's blown out of proportion how big of a deal a punch is. I've punched and been punched by my best friend. It happens. If Clarkson had kept up the attack, then yes, termination clearly makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-15-15, 04:20 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The punch was just the final blow leading to his suspension.

His unrestrained and intentional misrepresentations of cars have led to legal action over the years. The Tesla incident was a mess for TG management. The absurd RCF staged episode is just another example of taking things too far.

The suspension will, if nothing else, indicate that he too is accountable to a boss.
Old 03-15-15, 04:53 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
The punch was just the final blow leading to his suspension.

His unrestrained and intentional misrepresentations of cars have led to legal action over the years. The Tesla incident was a mess for TG management. The absurd RCF staged episode is just another example of taking things too far.

The suspension will, if nothing else, indicate that he too is accountable to a boss.
Lol that's all
Old 03-15-15, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001

His unrestrained and intentional misrepresentations of cars have led to legal action over the years.

The Tesla incident was a mess for TG management. The absurd RCF staged episode is just another example of taking things too far.
Let's be fair here for a moment. I can't comment directly on any Tesla or RC-F incident involving Clarkson because i haven't watched them...OK, there, you may have a point; I don't know.

But to come out and claim that he has been deliberately misrepresenting cars over the years, for a long time, might be going overboard. Based on the Clarkson reviews I have seen or read (and I do read Top Gear magazine fairly regularly and occasionally watch the TV show), he can be stubborn, rambling, political, and sometimes talk more about the car's surroundings than about the car itself. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he's lying or intentionally trying to mislead people....after all, despite his faults, he is considered a professional and someone dedicated to his work. He's just impulsive about his feelings, that's all.....and tends to show it.

Quick Reply: Clarkson terminated from Top Gear