Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

lol. i could see hugh grant doing it before i'd see chris harris.
If they would hire an American, how about Jay Leno? He'd be just about perfect for a comedy/entertainment show about cars....especially now that he doesn't have to do the Tonight Show any more.
Old 03-10-15, 03:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

well he wasn't fired, just suspended.

not sure why you feel that way (man crush? ). perhaps it depends on what he did as to whether he deserved it.

lol. i could see hugh grant doing it before i'd see chris harris.
if you can see Hugh Grant over Chris Harris you might need your eyes checked buddy. LOL Schedule an appointment. I will fix you up
Old 03-10-15, 05:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Im not sure that anybody can replicate Clarkson's comedy and general demeanor that makes I'm so funny. He is unique and it is why most other countries' top gear shows fail
Old 03-10-15, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Companies (and networks) like to think they are more than just the "front man", but that isn't always the case. We will see how their viewership goes.
Old 03-10-15, 08:22 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

must have been the backlash from the bashing of the RCF
Old 03-10-15, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, after being suspended from Top Gear, Clarkson is now probably more concerned about his next pay check than the RC F.
Old 03-10-15, 09:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
if you can see Hugh Grant over Chris Harris you might need your eyes checked buddy. LOL Schedule an appointment. I will fix you up
thanks. chris harris seems to be missing a sense of humor - a requirement no?
Old 03-11-15, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

thanks. chris harris seems to be missing a sense of humor - a requirement no?
What would you think of Jay Leno getting the temporary slot while Clarkson is suspended? (assuming, of course, that BBC offers it to him)? Seems to me that, except for not having a British-accented voice, Leno would be the perfect replacement of comedy, wryness, and auto enthusiasm (having a private fleet himself) for the job....and he's also not tied up late at night any more with his old show. .
Old 03-11-15, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

This is what you're missing...they have suspended Clarkson...AND Top Gear. Even the BBC doesn't have the confidence to say "We're suspending Clarkson, he won't appear in the final 3 episodes of the season".

No Clarkson...no Top Gear...even by the BBC's admission. During periods while May or Hammond have been out...they've broadcast Top Gear. The films and such are already done, the only thing that would be unfillmed are the studio segments.

Top Gear is by far the biggest thing the BBC has EVER produced. It has a worldwide regular viewership of 350 million people, it is in fact the most watched factual nonfiction program...ever...anywhere. They have broadcast arrangements with other networks, and those networks have ad buys that depend on Top Gear, and they will want their content they're contracted to receive. Lots of money at stake here.

I have a hard time believing the BBC can turn their backs on Clarkson, who created the format and basically the show, and really is the show, over any of these things that he's "done" which in my opinion really aren't that bad.

Racial slurs and off color humor on the air? Sure, Clarkson said these things...but BBC editors and producers left them in the final shows! If you ever watch bloopers or outtakes from shows, LOTS of things are said and done that would be inappropriate for the broadcast version of the show. These people work together day in and day out and they get very friendly and comfortable with each other. When I'm in my office or in a car with my friends from work we say all sorts of horrible things that taken out of context would be very embarrassing...we're like a big family.

For a show like Top Gear there is tons of footage that hits the cutting room floor. Clarkson says these things (like a bridge having a "slope" on it", or a toilet on the back of a car being "perfect for india because everybody who comes here gets the trots")...and a BBC editor and a BBC censor decides to put that in the broadcast version of the show...and thats Clarkson's fault?!?

The BBC claims to think this stuff is reprehensible because they're "solemn and dignified" but they like this stuff when it gets them ratings and makes them money and lob rocks at it from afar.

Clarkson isn't going anywhere, and if he were to, I have a feeling all three of them would wind up with a very similar show elsewhere pretty quickly.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-11-15 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-11-15, 07:57 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
must have been the backlash from the bashing of the RCF
He bashes Lexus from what I've noticed. RC-F, he (and BBC) said the SC430 was the worst car ever made...
Old 03-11-15, 08:28 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't think Clarkson will have to worry about his paycheck. The dude's loaded, and he'll find other work.

Should he be disciplined for punching his producer? Absolutely. Should he be taken off the air? Not if BBC cares about viewership.
Old 03-11-15, 08:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
He bashes Lexus from what I've noticed. RC-F, he (and BBC) said the SC430 was the worst car ever made...

Clarkson also said the LFA was the best car he's ever driven. The NX received a somewhat favorable review. He hated the SC430 because it didn't do well in the 'sports' category, which I have agree. It was dubbed a sports-coupe convertible, but it did not have one ounce of sport in it.
Old 03-11-15, 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Should he be disciplined for punching his producer? Absolutely.
where did you see he punched the producer?
Old 03-11-15, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

where did you see he punched the producer?
There are a number of sources (besides these three), but it's hard to tell allegation from fact.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-22-cancelled/

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31828184

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0311/686...son-suspended/

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-15 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-11-15, 07:15 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is what you're missing...they have suspended Clarkson...AND Top Gear. Even the BBC doesn't have the confidence to say "We're suspending Clarkson, he won't appear in the final 3 episodes of the season".

No Clarkson...no Top Gear...even by the BBC's admission. During periods while May or Hammond have been out...they've broadcast Top Gear. The films and such are already done, the only thing that would be unfillmed are the studio segments.

Top Gear is by far the biggest thing the BBC has EVER produced. It has a worldwide regular viewership of 350 million people, it is in fact the most watched factual nonfiction program...ever...anywhere. They have broadcast arrangements with other networks, and those networks have ad buys that depend on Top Gear, and they will want their content they're contracted to receive. Lots of money at stake here.

I have a hard time believing the BBC can turn their backs on Clarkson, who created the format and basically the show, and really is the show, over any of these things that he's "done" which in my opinion really aren't that bad.

Racial slurs and off color humor on the air? Sure, Clarkson said these things...but BBC editors and producers left them in the final shows! If you ever watch bloopers or outtakes from shows, LOTS of things are said and done that would be inappropriate for the broadcast version of the show. These people work together day in and day out and they get very friendly and comfortable with each other. When I'm in my office or in a car with my friends from work we say all sorts of horrible things that taken out of context would be very embarrassing...we're like a big family.

For a show like Top Gear there is tons of footage that hits the cutting room floor. Clarkson says these things (like a bridge having a "slope" on it", or a toilet on the back of a car being "perfect for india because everybody who comes here gets the trots")...and a BBC editor and a BBC censor decides to put that in the broadcast version of the show...and thats Clarkson's fault?!?

The BBC claims to think this stuff is reprehensible because they're "solemn and dignified" but they like this stuff when it gets them ratings and makes them money and lob rocks at it from afar.

Clarkson isn't going anywhere, and if he were to, I have a feeling all three of them would wind up with a very similar show elsewhere pretty quickly.
Well said, I agree with all of it

Quick Reply: Clarkson terminated from Top Gear