Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 08:51 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotus SUV

Lotus CEO leans towards SUV launch as sales pick up
As car industry leaders gathered in Geneva this week to fret about how to cram more software and electronics into their vehicles, one man stood out.

Group Lotus boss Jean-Marc Gales is not preoccupied by the future of self-driving cars, since his customers have no intention of giving up the wheel -- and because the loss-making British sports car maker's survival is a more imminent concern.

While defiantly analogue models like its newly upgraded Evora flagship may eventually get more digital controls, Gales said in an interview, the priority is a return to Lotus's lean essentials -- which means removing unnecessary gadgets.

"We had an electronically opening glove box, which in a sports car is worse than useless," he said at the Geneva auto show, barely 10 months after joining Lotus as CEO.

"I don't know who put that in, but I took it out."

Other industry forces are harder to resist. The next all-new Lotus vehicle is likely to be a crossover SUV, Gales said.

Now owned by Malaysia's Proton, a division of conglomerate DRB-HICOM, Lotus won renown for its aluminium chassis technology combining stiffness with low weight. It also developed the VH architecture used by a generation of Aston Martins.

The carmaker, which lost 71 million pounds ($108 million) last fiscal year, may already be turning a corner under Gales, whose former roles include Volkswagen marketing chief and second-in-command at France's Peugeot.

A sales network expansion has put Lotus on course for 2,000 deliveries in the current year ending March 31, Gales said, a 62 percent increase on the previous year but well short of a 3,500 goal for 2016-17, when it aims to return to profit.

Priced at 72,000 pounds, the Evora 400 -- denoting the increased horsepower -- and a coming roadster variant are key to any comeback in the U.S., where sales have dwindled to 250 cars.

Engineers changed some parts and dropped others to pare 22 kilograms (48 lbs.) from the Evora while adding a bigger supercharger -- a "power up, weight down" approach Gales plans to repeat on the Exige and entry-level Elise, starting at 34,000 pounds.

The model revamps will also cut both input costs and manufacturing time by about 10 percent, he said.

The board may decide this year to invest in a new four-door model, most likely an SUV, Gales said. Echoing Aston Martin, VW's Bentley and other luxury brands that are cautiously edging into fast-selling premium crossovers, he vowed that Lotus would "reinvent the category" rather than simply join it.

"We'd do an SUV that is very light, very fast on the track and has outstanding handling," he said. "I'm a bit torn between an SUV and a four-door sports car -- but in the end I can see that the SUV has the bigger market."
Old 03-06-15, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This guy sounds like a piece of work
Old 03-06-15, 10:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

How about they work on their fit and finish before working on an SUV? I'd love to have a Lotus, but not if the interior is crap.
Old 03-06-15, 12:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm betting if they do have an SUV, it'll be something like the old "TC by Maserati" of the 80's. IE a Jeep Cherokee with a Lotus badge.

They don't have the cash or know how to properly do an SUV, so if they're just looking to make a buck to keep the company afloat, it would be a lot easier to tweak somebody else's design.

I don't know who would buy a Lotus SUV though, the brand has no name recognition with people outside the automotive enthusiast community.
Old 03-06-15, 01:51 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Lotus better build a competitive daily drivable track car, that is quite reliable and easy to fix.
Old 03-06-15, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
How about they work on their fit and finish before working on an SUV? I'd love to have a Lotus, but not if the interior is crap.
did you see new Evora 400 interior? It is finally pretty good interior.... looks the money it costs.
Old 03-08-15, 09:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The whole philosophy of Lotus, going back to founder Colin Chapman himself, is the lighter, the better. Usually, that also meant minimal interiors as well. Chapman was serious about keeping off the pork....it wasn't just PR stuff. You either helped produce the lightest possible vehicle for the design-criteria, or you didn't work for him....it was that simple. That's one reason why his cars won so many F1 races back in the 1960s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-08-15 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-08-15, 09:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I have no issues with minimalistic interiors, but it's fit and finish that bugs me. A year ago, I went to look at the Lotus Elise for my brother and we decided against them because 5 of the 7 cars we looked at all had the same issue. Panel gaps were uneven, panels shifting and rattling, etc. The current Evora doesn't get praised for its interior either, but the new one seems to be better. Still, I would expect some attention to detail if I'm paying a good chunk of money.

I would have to wait for the 3rd or 4th generation of the Lotus SUV to feel comfortable owning one.
Old 03-09-15, 05:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I have no issues with minimalistic interiors, but it's fit and finish that bugs me. A year ago, I went to look at the Lotus Elise for my brother and we decided against them because 5 of the 7 cars we looked at all had the same issue. Panel gaps were uneven, panels shifting and rattling, etc. The current Evora doesn't get praised for its interior either, but the new one seems to be better. Still, I would expect some attention to detail if I'm paying a good chunk of money.

I would have to wait for the 3rd or 4th generation of the Lotus SUV to feel comfortable owning one.
apparently, it should be much nicer in Evora 400, according to people who touched it.

As to Lotus SUV, Lotus doesnt really have reliability issues, do they? Not like JLR for instance.
Old 03-09-15, 10:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Pointless, Lotus is all about small, light weight, great handling sports cars. A SUV does not fit anywhere into the Lotus brand, they would just be doing it to get some sales which will erode the brand. Build some good sports cars that are reliable and somewhat affordable and they will get sales. I don't even think Lotus ever build a GT coupe. Nobody is clamoring for a Lotus SUV.
Old 03-11-15, 07:10 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully if they do it right, I imagine an off road all star. They could successfully translate the minimalist light weight ideology. They just need to do it the Lotus way. First thing that came to mind was a smaller nimble powerful Defender type vehicle.
Old 04-28-15, 10:24 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Lotus confirms SUV for 2019
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-b...for-2019/32059
Yep, you read that right - first details of Chinese-built SUV here

Hold onto your hats now - Lotus has officially confirmed that the company is planning an SUV and will have a prototype ready in just 12 months.

Here's what we know after speaking with CEO Jean-Marc Gales on the phone. Firstly, the new car will be true to the Lotus DNA, we're promised. "All SUVs are big and fairly heavy. We want to built a car that is lighter and faster - a true Lotus." Gales said.

To that end it will be built on a new platform mixing steel and aluminium and weigh around 1,500-1,600kg, which is around 200kg lighter than the car that Lotus is pitching it against, the Porsche Macan.

It'll likely be powered by a Toyota engine, making it petrol-powered, and will have some form of electrification, Gales said.
That's partly because the car isn't due until 2019 at which point most larger cars will be hybridized in some way.

The new Lotus SUV won't be produced at Hethel but instead in a new plant planned in China with a local bus maker (among other ventures) called Goldstar.

While it'll be made there, the car will be designed and engineered in Hethel and sold in Europe, Gales promised. However it was clear from the chat that the prize is China, poised to be the world's largest SUV market by 2020.

Given that, Lotus sales projections for it are modest at around 5,000. With the firm believing it'll sell around 4,500 sports cars globally around then, up from 2,000 now, the company will still be very much a niche player.

The question is whether Lotus really can transfer its expertise in sports cars to a completely different category. Gales argues that it can, pointing out that the engineering side of the business has helped out other car makers in areas such as steel body structures, composite materials, hybrid drivetrains and handling set-up. Now's probably not the right time to mention the Isuzu Bighorn Lotus Edition, but you take his point.

The really tough bit will be to develop this new lightweight platform and make the economies of scale work on such a small production run. Gales said that some elements will be borrowed from parent company Proton, which doesn't bode well. However, assuming this is a serious project to be sold globally and not just a piece of eye candy to give Proton its long-desired foot-in-the-door into China, then we have to hope this will move the game on in terms of SUV handling.

"The most important thing is to bring to market a lightweight and well-handling SUV that doesn't compromise on interior space," Gales said. That last bit suggests it won't be a BMW X4-aping coupe SUV, which is good.

Perhaps worried we'd think the company was taking its eye off the ball in terms of sports cars Gales also announced that the replacement for the 2-Eleven track day special, officially called 3-Eleven, will be revealed at the Frankfurt motor show in September. He promised a target weight 900kg with the 400hp 3.5-litre supercharged V6 from the new Evora 400. Which sounds highly promising.

Work on the new sports car platform won't start until the end of next year at least, so the sports car models continue to be revamped with the Exige next for a makeover.

By announcing an SUV, Lotus is the latest in long line of formerly aloof sports and prestige makers are now heading aloft for their next model in a bid to improve the bottom line. Whether the company can make it work is one of the many questions we all continue to ask over the next four years.
Old 04-28-15, 05:09 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Another unfortunate side effect of being part of the Proton family, I guess. Goldstar was supposed to manufacture Protons under license but that agreement was terminated recently. Now they're building Lotus cars instead. I don't know how Lotus will maintain its pricing premium in its customers' eyes when the cars are made by a Chinese bus maker.

I would put a lot more trust in a first-tier JV partner like Shanghai GM or FAW VW instead of an unknown like Goldstar. Anyway, if Honda seems directionless, Lotus is a demasted boat with a broken rudder and an albatross at the helm...
Old 04-28-15, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The question is whether Lotus really can transfer its expertise in sports cars to a completely different category.
That's the same argument we heard fifteen years ago with Porsche and the Cayenne.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-15 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 11:24 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The big difference is that Porsche didn't do it alone and it didn't contract out to a Chinese bus manufacturer The Cayenne shared and continues to share a lot of parts with the VW Tuareg.

I think it's absurd to think the SUV market in China will keep growing forever. Petrol there is already over US$4 a gallon and most SUV drivers stick with smaller 2.0-2.5 L engines for fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Lotus SUV