Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Hasn't Lexus Embraced Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 03:26 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how do you mean they require QNX? That does not make sense. They require anything that supports their specifications.
Here are a few reasons:
Originally Posted by Larry Dignan, ZDnet
Apple's CarPlay has to ride on top of BlackBerry's QNX platform for in-auto entertainment systems.
source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/blackbe...auto-industry/

Originally Posted by Hugo Miller, Bloomberg
Inside the car, Apple and BlackBerry are collaborators rather than rivals. QNX software allows CarPlay to recreate the iPhone experience on the console’s screen, with icons familiar to iPhone users, including “Phone,” “Messages” and “Maps.”
source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-google-covets

Toyota is using QNX, probably the biggest user of it in automotive world.
I had forgotten that they'd switched to QNX when they launched Entune a few years ago. However, I don't think there are more Entune-equipped Toyotas than OnStar-equipped GM cars.

Ford has only moved to QNX in most recent systems, not sure if they are shipping yet or just announced... otherwise they used Windows Automotive.
They're shipping later this year, and expect to have the entire Ford/Lincoln stable converted by the end of next year.

Last edited by geko29; 02-28-15 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-05-15, 06:24 AM
jj0103
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infotainment without upgradeability will have an impact

I think Lexus is making a dire mistake here. I'll use myself as a perfect example on why this decision will cost them dearly. I've been a staunch Japanese luxury vehicle fan because of the blend of quality and historical reliability. We buy our vehicles with the expectation of driving them 5 to 10 years because you can in this segment without worrying about dealing with the same longer term maintenance and reliability issues you would with the German luxury equivalents.

My generation and every generation after mine has grown up with technology being at the forefront of our purchasing decisions. If I'm dropping $65k on a vehicle and paying a premium on an infotainment system I now expect some future proofing (upgradeability) as a part of that because my computer, phone and TV have all trained me to expect that.

Android Auto and Apple Car can and will provide that. Do you really think the streaming music app of 2015 will the same in 2020? And look at how Apple’s Siri, Google Now, Microsoft’s Cortana and Amazon’s Alexa have evolved from a voice recognition and artificial intelligence perspective in just a few years.

Therein lies the dilemma. If you are a car maker in 2016 (and beyond) offering a non-app-upgradeable proprietary system you will inherently lose a big demographic. You will also dis-incentivize your loyal customer base from buying because leasing will be the only way to protect yourself from being stuck with obsolete technology.

There's the rub though. If you are going to lease, you no longer care about reliability and therefore will purchase based upon styling and handling and many would argue that Germany has the advantage there.

I was planning to purchase the 2016 RX 350 F Sport but because of this very issue I have no choice but to go with the Audi Q7.
Old 03-05-15, 06:26 AM
jj0103
Driver School Candidate

Default Infotainment without upgradeability is enough to drive me away

I think Lexus is making a dire mistake here. I'll use myself as a perfect example on why this decision will cost them dearly. I've been a staunch Japanese luxury vehicle fan because of the blend of quality and historical reliability. We buy our vehicles with the expectation of driving them 5 to 10 years because you can in this segment without worrying about dealing with the same longer term maintenance and reliability issues you would with the German luxury equivalents.

My generation and every generation after mine has grown up with technology being at the forefront of our purchasing decisions. If I'm dropping $65k on a vehicle and paying a premium on an infotainment system I now expect some future proofing (upgradeability) as a part of that because my computer, phone and TV have all trained me to expect that.

Android Auto and Apple Car can and will provide that. Do you really think the streaming music app of 2015 will the same in 2020? And look at how Apple’s Siri, Google Now, Microsoft’s Cortana and Amazon’s Alexa have evolved from a voice recognition and artificial intelligence perspective in just a few years.

Therein lies the dilemma. If you are a car maker in 2016 (and beyond) offering a non-app-upgradeable proprietary system you will inherently lose a big demographic. You will also dis-incentivize your loyal customer base from buying because leasing will be the only way to protect yourself from being stuck with obsolete technology.

There's the rub though. If you are going to lease, you no longer care about reliability and therefore will purchase based upon styling and handling and many would argue that Germany has the advantage there.

I was planning to purchase the 2016 RX 350 F Sport but because of this very issue I have no choice but to go with the Audi Q7.
Old 03-05-15, 07:38 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Where is Windows? I don't care about crappy Android or snobby iOS.
Old 03-05-15, 09:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I bet there is waaaay more overlap between iOS and Lexus owners than Android owners. Apple dominates the older, wealthier demographic.
Old 03-05-15, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jj0103

While your Audi is in the shop we'll send a 16 RX to pick you up
Old 03-05-15, 10:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29

I had forgotten that they'd switched to QNX when they launched Entune a few years ago. However, I don't think there are more Entune-equipped Toyotas than OnStar-equipped GM cars.
well, thats not for infotainment then :-)

But sure, considering that "Entune" is worldwide thing, while Onstar wasnt, probably still more Toyota's :-).

When it comes to infotainment, they easily the biggest user right now.
Old 03-05-15, 11:19 AM
jj0103
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I get it. I would normally make that same comment but that's part of my point. If my only protection against technology obsolescence is to lease, who cares about Lexus' unprecedented reliability. On the off chance a car breaks down during the lease term, any luxury dealer will provide you a loner.
Old 03-05-15, 12:11 PM
Hoovey689

I get it. I would normally make that same comment but that's part of my point. If my only protection against technology obsolescence is to lease, who cares about Lexus' unprecedented reliability. On the off chance a car breaks down during the lease term, any luxury dealer will provide you a loner.
Emotional buyers
Old 03-05-15, 12:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Emotional buyers
i actually think that's what lexus lacks. they need more emotional buyers who want cars just because
Old 03-05-15, 12:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by rominl
i actually think that's what lexus lacks. they need more emotional buyers who want cars just because
Oh I see H. What I meant was an emotional buyer is one that will buy based on looks, a cool feature etc.. I do agree they need more passionate (about the brand) buyers. Euro Makes have been enjoying those for years. Of course Lexus is young and look what they've accomplished in only 25 years.
Old 03-05-15, 12:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

That'll work....For temporary transportation. J/k
Old 06-20-15, 08:21 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John Coyle
We just posed this question on the blog, and we're not really sure why. You can read the post here. This seems to be the future—why haven't we seen Lexus embrace this tech?
Because they are slow, very slow. I'm also very disappointed that my 2015 GS 350 doesn't even have at least Apple Carplay. Instead we get all this Enform Apps crapola which needs serious work! Even the dirt cheap car brands have Apple Car Play or support both Apple Carplay and Android (the way it should be support both).

-Mike
Old 06-20-15, 08:24 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Levi68
Where is Windows? I don't care about crappy Android or snobby iOS.
Because windows sucks! Who uses windows mobile anyway, 1% of the World's population? Microsoft mostly produces garbage these days. But at the very least Lexus should have Apple Carplay and Android Car support.

-Mike
Old 06-20-15, 08:30 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

I agree. I was very disappointed that my very expensive 2015 GS 350 did not have Apple Carplay which I really wanted. It has instead a beautiful huge screen that is very under used and a few poorly made so called Enform Apps. I really hope Lexus adds to their Development Team or gets rid of the exiting Developers because they are producing crap. I also hope before I get rid of this car that they make some serious enhancements to the software/apps on this vehicle which right now is very poor and lacking.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Why Hasn't Lexus Embraced Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?