Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Nissan Murano

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 11:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The Pathfinder USED to be an off-road type vehicle, waffling between body on frame and unibody structures from generation to generation. But the current Pathfinder is nowhere near something anyone would call "off-road oriented" and is very much in line with Highlander, Pilot, Traverse, Explorer, etc. Pathfinder has essentially squeezed out the Quest minivan in the Nissan lineup. Like the GM Lambda Crossovers
I agree. Pathfinder is a crossover for families now.
Old 02-26-15, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seems this is all that is needed to qualify for 'odd road' these days.
With all those stop signs every block, that's anything BUT "odd" these days....just par for the course.

this is more like it (pathfinders need not apply )
Hey.....for that matter, the way these Polar-Vortex winters have been tearing up pavement the last couple of years, that's what regular roads in many parts of the country are beginning to look like....again, par for the course

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-26-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by airgas1998
briefly sat in one earlier this week, and thought it has great seats and some nice touches but the back was much smaller than i thought. i was hitting my head on the liner, and i'm only 6' ft. also for bragging about cargo room my outback has much more cuft. also noticed the headliner on the drivers side was flawed to the point i wouldn't even except the car if i was looking to buy.
Your Outback has more cargo room behind the rear seat probably because of the traditional squared-off styling. Though often derided by those who think that a vehicle should look like a space-ship, it's hard to beat a box-shaped vehicle for space-efficiency.

On the head-clearance issue, though, I sat in the Murano with my 6' 2" frame and baseball cap and had no problems, front or rear, with headroom. Did you have the power front seat cushions adjusted down all the way? If not, that can sometimes make a big difference.
Old 02-26-15, 12:27 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Subjective, of course. But, yes, most of us, including me, would probably agree it is, overall, an improvement over its predecessors. I don't find the new rear end, though, very impressive. Like some other newer SUVs (not all by any means), it trades some function (utility and outward visibility) for form (styling).

It's certainly not a Maxima, but Muranos, like other car-based SUVs, do come from sedan roots.....in this case, the Altima. But it does not drive like a typical mid-sized sedan. The steering is rather numb, response is slow, the body rolls with sharp steering input, and the front end plows. But, if you have a weak back or legs (I'm assuming you don't), it's easier to get in and out of than an Altima.

If you are looking for a driver-oriented SUV that drives and handles a little more like a good sport-oriented sedan, you might want to check out the Mazda CX-5 and the smaller, upcoming CX-3.
Hi Marshall, been a while since I contributed. Great review! Have always enjoyed your write-ups. My 09 Murano was great, and we made several 3k+ mile trips in it. Never had an issue. The new one is far and away a better looking vehicle IMHO. While still rare out here in the PNW, I did get a chance to sit in one, and was quite impressed (Platinum version). One thing the RX 350, the Highlander etc are not, as you mentioned, driver oriented vehicles. The Murano came a lot closer, hence why we bought one in lieu of the RX 350. While I somewhat agree with your assessment of the CX-5 and the CX-3, i.e. driver oriented, I would certainly add the Infiniti FX. It's really the hot rod of the SUV set, priced substantially lower than it's direct competitors (in performance) X5 twin turbo, and Cayenne S. We traded in our Mo, for an FX35 AWD, and while its a bit short on fuel mileage, the right foot, properly applied elicits a beautiful engine symphony, as well as push back in the seat acceleration. Wish Lexus would provide that in an SUV!
Old 02-26-15, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orzel
Hi Marshall, been a while since I contributed. Great review! Have always enjoyed your write-ups.
Thanks. Yes, it has been a while....welcome back.

My 09 Murano was great, and we made several 3k+ mile trips in it. Never had an issue.
In most cases, they do tend to be reliable. The 3.5L V6, if not the most powerful V6 on the market, is a well-proven engine. Nissan has had a lot of experience with it.

The new one is far and away a better looking vehicle IMHO.
Nothing humble about your opinion...I welcome it.

While still rare out here in the PNW, I did get a chance to sit in one, and was quite impressed (Platinum version).
Do you think that the Platinum version is worth the extra money over the lower-line ones? (or did you not get a chance to sit inside a lower-line one to compare?) I tested the Platinum version because that is what the person requesting the review specially wanted.

One thing the RX350, the Highlander etc are not, as you mentioned, driver oriented vehicles. The Murano came a lot closer, hence why we bought one in lieu of the RX350.
Though its overall ride-comfort did not seem quite as smooth as that of its sister ES350, one thing I really liked about the last RX I tested was its seamless, silky-smooth refined driverain. As with the LS460, had I not known there was an actual gas engine and conventional automatic transmission under the hood, it almost felt like you were being pushed along by a big, quiet unseen hand.

While I somewhat agree with your assessment of the CX-5 and the CX-3, i.e. driver oriented, I would certainly add the Infiniti FX. It's really the hot rod of the SUV set, priced substantially lower than it's direct competitors (in performance) X5 twin turbo, and Cayenne S. We traded in our Mo, for an FX35 AWD, and while its a bit short on fuel mileage, the right foot, properly applied elicits a beautiful engine symphony, as well as push back in the seat acceleration. Wish Lexus would provide that in an SUV!
I hear you on the FX as a drivers' SUV, but I didn't specifically list it in this review as a competitor because it is clearly in a more expensive and upmarket class from the Murano. The CX-9 and CX-5 (probably more so than the smaller cheaper CX-3) are a lot closer to the Murano's price range (especially the lower-line Muranos) than the FX35. And the FX, IMO, is one of the quirkiest-looking SUVs in the American market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-26-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 01:00 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

LOL, quirky, an apt description, but I never lose mine in a parking lot. It's also that quirkiness that makes it so endearing to me. Well, OK, that and the performance. Given that a new Mo, in the platinum edition can reach about $45k, you are not all that far from the baseline (assuming you can find one) FX.

As far as the RX, having owned a couple, I have naught but good to say about them, but a drivers vehicle they are not. The F-Sport version comes a lot closer, but our 09 Mo (L) was far and away a better handling vehicle than the RX. Should Lexus up the HP, put some firmer suspension under the RX, I would certainly entertain one as the next vehicle. BTW, we are still in the Lexus family, as my wife absolutely loves her GS, now if sh'd only learn to feather the go pedal a little....
Old 02-26-15, 01:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orzel
LOL, quirky, an apt description, but I never lose mine in a parking lot.
Lots of people simply depend on their key-fobs to find their cars in a lot. They just press the unlock button and look for the flashing lights.

I only used the term quirky because the first two generations, while a reliable and solid vehicle, had rather polarizing styling. Most people either liked it or they did not...little middle ground.

It's also that quirkiness that makes it so endearing to me. Well, OK, that and the performance. Given that a new Mo, in the platinum edition can reach about $45k, you are not all that far from the baseline (assuming you can find one) FX.
You could also, in the past, get a 4.5L or 5.0 V8 in the FX series....engines way out of the Murano's league. Unfortunately, that (V8) option seems to have been dropped from the FX series after it got the new QX70 designation (I couldn't find it listed any more).

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-26-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 01:34 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Lots of people simply depend on their key-fobs to find their cars in a lot. They just press the unlock button and look for the flashing lights.

I only used the term quirky because the first two generations, while a reliable and solid vehicle, had rather polarizing styling. Most people either liked it or they did not...little middle ground.

You could also, in the past, get a 4.5L or 5.0 V8 in the FX series....engines way out of the Murano's league. Unfortunately, that (V8) option seems to have been dropped from the FX series after it got the new QX70 designation (I couldn't find it listed any more).
There's also the alarm "panic button" which around here is also known as the "car finder button".

Polarizing is an apt descripion, but then I'm a bit quirky so the FX and I share some personality traits!

Was trying to have a closer comparison with the Mo, as well as the others in their class with V6's rather then the "Beast" FX450. I did have an opportunity to drive one of the V8 monsters, I will have to admit, while fun, I much prefer my V6 powered Bionic Cheetah. Handles better, less nose weight.

Nissan seems to be doing better, with nicer vehicles. I'm now going to be torn between whatever they come up with for the next generation Infiniti and what Lexus may do to the RX to give us a more sporty platform. Hey, even us Old Farts still like to be able to carve canyons!
Old 02-27-15, 12:08 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

One thing I like about Nissan is their heavy use and promotion of CVT.

Nissan is really advocating it along with Subaru and their Lineartronic CVT. =)

P.S.
The shift of Murano production from Nissan Shatai in Kyushu, Japan to Mississippi, USA is an interesting one.

My theory was that Nissan wanted to align Quest production with the Elgrand so they can optimize platform and assembly resources for it.

Either way, I hope quality is maintained =)
Old 02-28-15, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
One thing I like about Nissan is their heavy use and promotion of CVT.

Nissan is really advocating it along with Subaru and their Lineartronic CVT. =)
At one time, Nissan and Subaru got their CVTs from the same subcontractor. I'm not sure if that is the case any more.

The shift of Murano production from Nissan Shatai in Kyushu, Japan to Mississippi, USA is an interesting one.
It took several years to iron out the problems in that plant when they were building the full-size Armada/Titan/QX56. Let's hope that doesn't happen with the Murano.
Old 02-28-15, 08:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

At one time, Nissan and Subaru got their CVTs from the same subcontractor. I'm not sure if that is the case any more.
The supplier you're speaking of is JATCO, who is owned by Nissan. Also Subaru never sourced their CVT's from them, just their conventional automatics.
Old 02-28-15, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The supplier you're speaking of is JATCO, who is owned by Nissan. Also Subaru never sourced their CVT's from them, just their conventional automatics.
When I had my Outback, the service manager told me that the CVTs also came from the same supplier. It's possible that he had the wrong info. I can't say either way.

Anyhow, IMO, Nissan, at least from my limited test-driving experience on their products, still has what are arguably the best-calibrated CVTs, regardless of where they come from.
Old 02-28-15, 09:49 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think I could ever get past owning a car with a CVT. Otherwise this thing looks fun! And you gotta love Nissan's interiors. They are usually very tasteful, very much so in this case IMO.

I've always preferred this size of crossover. We have two kids. We 'could' be those people that "gets away with a sedan for a family car but we chose this size of SUV instead due to our active lifestyle," kind of situation. Also like the Ford Edge, Jeep GC, Merc ML, Lex RX. I just favor those size of vehicles.
Old 02-28-15, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sick21
I don't think I could ever get past owning a car with a CVT. Otherwise this thing looks fun! And you gotta love Nissan's interiors. They are usually very tasteful, very much so in this case IMO.

I've always preferred this size of crossover. We have two kids. We 'could' be those people that "gets away with a sedan for a family car but we chose this size of SUV instead due to our active lifestyle," kind of situation. Also like the Ford Edge, Jeep GC, Merc ML, Lex RX. I just favor those size of vehicles.
I guess it's hard to have an "Inactive" lifestyle when you are trying to raise two kids.
Old 03-01-15, 06:48 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice review, well done and some nice info.

Speaking to the off road capability of the pathfinder, it handled itself tremendously in the snow these past couple weeks. The i-4WD was fantastic and never slipped, even from a full stop on the mountain.

My murano platinum was just ordered! I can't wait

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Nissan Murano