Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Nissan Murano

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 08:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's so it's language independent.
I just wonder what triggered the change after all this time.
Old 02-26-15, 08:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I just wonder what triggered the change after all this time.
Nissan was actually just featured in an article saying they'll be using common parts in more obvious places globally. So this change makes sense.
Old 02-26-15, 09:13 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
As for competitors, it doesn't really compete against the Ford Escape, it's pretty much directly in competition with the Ford Edge. You're mixing in a lot of Compact Utility vehicles in your list... and that's not really who shops for a Murano. Along with Ford Edge it also targets Toyota Venza, another 2-row utility/crossover type vehicle with similar customer demographics. On the "dream" targets, it also hopes to snag potential mainstream customers who might look to move up to a luxury crossover like the Acura RDX or Lexus RX350.

I agree. The Murano, with its distinct styling is NOT aimed at families, as other 3-row vehicles are (such as the Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer and Nissan's own Pathfinder), but is aimed at other lifestyle vehicles, like the Ford Edge and Toyota Venza. When the Venza was introduced, it was aimed at the Ford Edge and the Nissan Murano.

The demographic group these 3 stylish mid-size, 2-row crossovers are aimed at are empty nesters or couples who never had children (once known as DINKs -- Double Income, No Kids).
Old 02-26-15, 09:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
I agree. The Murano, with its distinct styling is NOT aimed at families, as other 3-row vehicles are (such as the Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer and Nissan's own Pathfinder), but is aimed at other lifestyle vehicles, like the Ford Edge and Toyota Venza. When the Venza was introduced, it was aimed at the Ford Edge and the Nissan Murano.

The demographic group these 3 stylish mid-size, 2-row crossovers are aimed at are empty nesters or couples who never had children (once known as DINKs -- Double Income, No Kids).
Ideal for DINKs + dog....
Old 02-26-15, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

As I see it, though, while there is some validity to your point, it's not always a question of who a certain vehicle is aimed at, but who actually buys it. In that sense, The Murano, even with two-row seating, is probably the closest thing that Nissan has to compare with the Highlander and Pilot. The sister Pathfinder, though not a hard-core off-roader, is more off-road-oriented than the Murano/Highlander/Pilot, the hard-core of-roader XTerra is much more aimed at the 4-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, the rogues in a smaller and less-expensive class than the Murano, and the gargantuan Armada is much larger and more expensive. So, by simple process of elimination, I felt that the Murano was the closest Nissan Highlander/Pilot equivalent. However, I respect the opinion of those who disagree.
Old 02-26-15, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Nissan was actually just featured in an article saying they'll be using common parts in more obvious places globally. So this change makes sense.
Wonder if that means they will also be using more Renault-sourced parts?

To date, we haven't really seen any rebadged or heavily-Renault-influenced Nissan products here in the U.S.....but I wouldn't be surprised if Ghosn mandates some sooner of later.
Old 02-26-15, 10:09 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I see it, though, while there is some validity to your point, it's not always a question of who a certain vehicle is aimed at, but who actually buys it. In that sense, The Murano, even with two-row seating, is probably the closest thing that Nissan has to compare with the Highlander and Pilot. The sister Pathfinder, though not a hard-core off-roader, is more off-road-oriented than the Murano/Highlander/Pilot, the hard-core of-roader XTerra is much more aimed at the 4-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, the rogues in a smaller and less-expensive class than the Murano, and the gargantuan Armada is much larger and more expensive. So, by simple process of elimination, I felt that the Murano was the closest Nissan Highlander/Pilot equivalent. However, I respect the opinion of those who disagree.
Count me in the disagree pile. Nothing about the 3-row current-gen Pathfinder even hints at off roadability. It's as soft as the others.

Old 02-26-15, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Count me in the disagree pile. Nothing about the 3-row current-gen Pathfinder even hints at off roadability. It's as soft as the others.

I wouldn't say "nothing" on the off-road capability....but, you're right, the current version, compared to earlier ones, certainly isn't a mountain goat.
Old 02-26-15, 10:23 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Pathfinder USED to be an off-road type vehicle, waffling between body on frame and unibody structures from generation to generation. But the current Pathfinder is nowhere near something anyone would call "off-road oriented" and is very much in line with Highlander, Pilot, Traverse, Explorer, etc. Pathfinder has essentially squeezed out the Quest minivan in the Nissan lineup. Like the GM Lambda Crossovers
Old 02-26-15, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
The Pathfinder USED to be an off-road type vehicle, waffling between body on frame and unibody structures from generation to generation.

Yep. It's probably probably the only vehicle (and SUV) I can think of that converted from BOF to unibody to BOF and then back to unibody. Seems like the marketers never really had a clear vision for it.

Like the GM Lambda Crossovers
GM has actually done a nice job with the Lambda crossovers...especially the Enclave. Though they are rather large and bulky, they actually have something of a rarity.....room for REAL adults in the third-row seats.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-26-15 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great review. An improvement inside and out for sure. Polarizing to look at too. Did this Murano have the AWD that can lock into solely FWD/AWD/Both? I've always liked those selectable drivetrain settings
Old 02-26-15, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great review.
Thanks.

Polarizing to look at too.
Yes, polarizing is probably a good way to describe it. I thought they did a rather nice job, up front, integrating it with the Nissan SUV grille/headlight look, but the rear end is a mishmash that compromises both visibility and come cargo-height room.

Did this Murano have the AWD that can lock into solely FWD/AWD/Both? I've always liked those selectable drivetrain settings
Like most SUVs in this class designed mostly for on-pavement use, it has the typical car-based, center-differential-equipped, car-based, torque-on-demand AWD system that automatically shifts torque to each wheel where needed. I did not see a "Lock" switch or button anywhere in the cabin (unless I just missed it) which would lock the center differential, which usually needs to be locked needed only in really tough slippery conditions and/or for off-road use. And, as others have also pointed out, the Murano is not intended to be an active off-roader. Its AWD system is generally intended for slippery on-road conditions, with maybe some very mild off-roading (i.e.. dirt roads) at most.
Old 02-26-15, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

seems this is all that is needed to qualify for 'odd road' these days.

this is more like it (pathfinders need not apply )

Old 02-26-15, 11:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

You may feel like that is how Nissan is marketing the Murano vs. the Pathfinder, but I'm at the carpool stage of life, and that is NOT how buyers are seeing the difference between those models. I don't personally know anyone with a Murano, but I can name families that drive each and every one of those 3 row mid-sized crossovers. There are 2 Pathfinders on my street--they never leave the pavement, unless forced to park in a dirt parking lot at the annual fireworks show.
Old 02-26-15, 11:38 AM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

briefly sat in one earlier this week, and thought it has great seats and some nice touches but the back was much smaller than i thought. i was hitting my head on the liner, and i'm only 6' ft. also for bragging about cargo room my outback has much more cuft. also noticed the headliner on the drivers side was flawed to the point i wouldn't even except the car if i was looking to buy.

Last edited by airgas1998; 02-26-15 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Nissan Murano