Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Going from BMW 3 series to which sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 06:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I definitely vouch for an IS as it ticks all the boxes of quality, comfort, and fun to drive.

I'd look at the A3, but may be a little tight depending on what you need.

If you're considering a non-luxury brand, the Mazda6 also hits the mark but no heated steering I believe.
Old 02-24-15, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
The accord has some nice features but lacks heated steering, thats one thing we got used to and i guess will have to compromise if we go with the Accord.

We are also trying to not spend as much as we did on the 3 series, as we have come to realize that there are other cars that have a better bang for buck.
If you can do without the heated steering wheel (a feature, unfortunately, not offered on any U.S.-market Subaru), check out the Subaru Legacy. It's got a few negative points, like the lack of the heated wheel and a less-than-perfect NAV/voice-recognition system, but, overall, has gotten good reviews and comes with standard AWD to boot if you need to drive in bad weather. It will also (probably) cost less than most new 3-series models, although Legacy 3.6R Limited versions start near 30K and can run substantially above that with options.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-15 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 07:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I really enjoyed the Q50 I borrowed recently. All the tech features worked too, so it looked like the bugs with the infotainment system have been worked out.
Old 02-24-15, 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well, the OP was looking to spend less than the 3-Series, so I'm not sure the GS will hit the mark. But to look in the GS class, there are still '14 Caddy CTS's for $12,000+ discounts out there.
the 3 series in general has higher lease price than the IS. the GS lease price is only a tad higher than IS and noticeably less than E and 5, so maybe it can get very close
Old 02-25-15, 05:47 AM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We like very few brands and Cadillac is not one of them so that rules it out. We thought about the IS, but its backseat space is like someone mentioned less than our current 3 series. We would need to fit a rear facing carseat in the back.

I also want to clear it up that we don't want to spend as much as we did on the 3 series, so everything right now is pointing us towards the Honda Accord, the only reason we were interested in the TLX or the Q50 was because we are looking at the Accord EXL V6 and the price is closer to TLX and the Q50, We don't mind spending a little more if that will get us something nicer than the Accord.
Old 02-25-15, 07:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
We like very few brands and Cadillac is not one of them so that rules it out. We thought about the IS, but its backseat space is like someone mentioned less than our current 3 series. We would need to fit a rear facing carseat in the back.

I also want to clear it up that we don't want to spend as much as we did on the 3 series, so everything right now is pointing us towards the Honda Accord, the only reason we were interested in the TLX or the Q50 was because we are looking at the Accord EXL V6 and the price is closer to TLX and the Q50, We don't mind spending a little more if that will get us something nicer than the Accord.
Helpful info. If you don't like Caddy, how do you feel about Buick? The Regal offers a lot of features for under $40,000, including the desired heated steering wheel. The back seat is not as big as an Accord, but definitely should be workable with a rear-facing infant seat. I like the GS, but it has no spare and no run flats--so I would not consider it, but others have no problem with that set up.

If moving down to the family sedan category, I would give serious consideration to the Kia Optima.

The Q50 may be "close" to the Accord V6 EX or Touring, but you need to add packages to get a few desirable options, and the price quickly jumps.