Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will Clarkson think of the RC F? Thoughts?

Old 03-05-15, 06:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I believe car reviews will have more of an effect on mainstream cars than luxury or expensive cars. Folks that can afford those cars don't care what others have to say or what they bought is complete junk or not. They buy based on their personal preference and what suits their style. BMW's are like the iphones of the automotive world. People will buy them regardless what others say, especially in Europe.

Mainstream cars are more affected by reviews and etc. People that buy those cars generally watch their purse strings and research the hell out of their choices to buy the best for their money instead of the best money can buy. They tend to keep their cars til it dies and that's why Camrys sell despite poor reviews about interior quality and driving dynamics.

Chances are, people will buy the RCF based on their own preferences. I think their buddies with M4s will have more of an effect on purchasing decisions than what some review says.
Old 03-05-15, 06:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
What does weight matter so much in a Luxury sport coupe? If it was a luxury sports car thatd be different. The RC F as is, is not a sports car and wasnt intended to be. They could take away some plush, some sound proofing, put an I-6 in there, some half *** back seats and itd be 3700lbs. like the M4, but then it wouldnt be a Lexus. All the 'overweight being a hinderance' talking points are garbage sportscar bias. Not a Luxury GT cruiser. This is why Lexus is what it is and not BMW or Audi.
Lexus apologist identified. The RCF missed the target, point blank. Furthermore, when BMW misses the mark it shows. See the poor sales of the 5GT.
Old 03-05-15, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
So it is brand loyalty, reputation, heritage. Reviews? Very limited effect. Thanks for reiterating my point.
It's both, depending on the buyer. Not only that, but the quality of reviews, IMO, varies quite a bit, depending on who does them. Clarkson, for example, the original thread topic, is very good at what he does, but at least some of what he calls "reviews" are, IMO, as much political rant and entertainment than a real description of the vehicle itself.

Yup exactly. We all know why Camry sells. And we also know why they don't do well in reviews.
Again, it depends on who does the reviews. Consumer Reports has always thought highly of it, and, once, even won a mid-size send comparison test in one of he auto-enthusiast magazines....I don't remember if it was C&D or R&T.
Old 03-05-15, 07:08 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Lexus apologist identified.
Folks, knock off the personal commentary or exit this thread.
Old 03-05-15, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I personally don't care for a convertible if they could have made the RC F a little lighter ......
Not sure what you mean here. You had a relatively heavy SC430 convertible that you were quite pleased with, weren't you? Or are you just saying that, because the RC-F is supposed to be more performance-oriented than the SC, weight is simply more of an issue with the RC?

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-05-15 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-05-15, 09:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure what you mean here. You had a relatively heavy SC430 convertible that you were quite pleased with, weren't you? Or are you just saying that, because the RC-F is supposed to be more performance-oriented than the SC, weight is simply more of an issue with the RC?
SC430 was never designed to be a sports car, but a leisurely cruiser with decent power for its time.
RC F is supposed to be very sporty, and I would prefer them not to make a convertible if they cannot make it financially viable to have a seperate lighter chassis for the coupe.
Old 03-05-15, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
SC430 was never designed to be a sports car, but a leisurely cruiser with decent power for its time.
RC F is supposed to be very sporty, and I woulc prefer them not to make a convertible if they cannot make it financially viable to have a seperate lighter chassis for the coupe.

Agreed.....to some extent, apples and oranges. And some of that weight difference (besides convertible bracing) was where Lexus really put some money, materials, and attention into the 2Gen SC interior....IMO arguably one of the best interiors they've done. Wasn't much of a fan of the Audi TT-look outside, though.
Old 03-05-15, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
seems like RCF is for those who just want a stable drive with no tricks. Back end doesn't break loose easily from all the reviews I've seen.

It's too bad when people think of the M4, they just remember the one dude at Cars and Coffee who spun out his car and hopped over the center island and drove off in shame.

But surely there's a way to drive the m4 without it being hard to control ... for those who don't like to drift ?
haha yeah, by turning on the traction control

put it this way, have an rcf with all traction control off, results might not be too far off. any high power car these days without traction control is no joke if you get distracted for a split second

Originally Posted by DrRick
It's called learning how to drive or leaving traction control on until you DO learn how to drive...
dr, seriously, i think we share a lot of understanding together!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
disagree with both of you. in enthusiast car mag reviews, the camry may not always fair very well, but look at the 'journalists' and target audience. so the camry doesn't win the drifting competition, who cares? that's not its intended audience or market.

however, it's always one or two in reviews its intended market are likely to read like consumer reports (ugh), popular mechanics, usa today, etc. and i believe those reviews ABSOLUTELY have an impact on reinforcing people's decisions to buy.

of course that's not a reasonable request because no one can, this is an opinion-based discussion.

bmw has not ever made 'complete garbage' in my opinion, but they've certainly had cars that don't do very well, probably an x6 comes to mind, i don't know. yes the automotive reviewers have usually given bmw a pass or very kind treatment even when the bangle butt came out, when the 5 series got heavier than a whale, and similar questionable design traits. still, i'd never say a bmw is complete garbage - they still all have wonderful traits. when i've driven a bmw, and audi, a lexus, and a mercedes, they all have distinctive traits to me... pros and cons.

i agree with you there, it's simply an influencing factor. and i think it might be different somewhat for mainstream vs. enthusiast vehicles but i don't know. about the rc-f and clarkson - i DO believe that someone who was considering an rc-f before his review and it matters to them what their peers think (as most do) may be put off now. of course there will be others who couldn't care less and get an rc-f anyway, and contrarians who get an rc-f just to be 'different'.

another example, if you don't think all the GLOWING press for the new mustang is having an influence in sales, well, i disagree. i believe some will consider a mustang now who never would have.
reading test results or safety ratings, yes, i agree that has more impact. but i don't consider those as reviews at all. to me reviews are more of a subjective feel of how the editor like/dislike a car and its performance / features.

hahhaa well if clarkson can call the rcf rubbish, i think equally speaking there has to be some garbage in the bmw lineup. that's only fair right? but still, regardless of how bad the x6 might be, i surely see quite a lot of them around still.

and that's why i don't think i said reviews have ZERO impact on sales. i said they have little impact. i am sure there are people who got swayed by a review or two, but i think most people make up their own mind already with or without reviews, especially cars like this, cars in high end luxury segment as some put it

Originally Posted by mmarshall
even i had the e93 m3, i didn't like the weight coz' it felt on the heavy side. but that doesn't make me think all convertibles are heavy for what they are. if a car is not designed to "go fast", why would i give a damn about its weight. sc430 is one of them. pretty simple concept to understand
Old 03-06-15, 05:37 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't usually care what car reviewers have to say about a car, but i do agree with pretty much everything Jeremy said about the RCF
Old 03-09-15, 01:59 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, the problem is that Lexus is advertising the RCF as a bruiser and a competitor to the M4 so the expectations are high. It seems like the car, even in F form, is more a cruiser, albeit an aggressive one. And there is nothing wrong with that. I think it will give those in the Lexus family a good option for something more exciting than what they're used to. Honestly, I don't think someone in the market for an M4 or AMG C-class would be cross shopping the RCF. It may keep a Lexus buyer who wants a sportier vehicle from looking at the German brands.

While I was expecting Clarkson to be harsh, if the RCF had been as raw as the LFA, there would be even a smaller market for it, isolating traditional Lexus customers, while not really attracting those from the competitor.
Old 03-09-15, 05:10 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So, it's official? The F stands for follower?