Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will Clarkson think of the RC F? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 02:55 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Lexus did so much testing before the release, I'm 100% sure they knew what they have created. This is not news to them. I won't be surprised if Clarkson won't even review the GSF.
Old 03-03-15, 03:18 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Lexus needs to use aluminum for all exterior panels that aren't already plastic
Aluminium panels themselves wont save much weight. Its the frame, welding, reinforcements, internal components and interior that weight tons. With just a battery switch you could save as much as having some aluminum panels like doors.
Old 03-03-15, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Lexus did so much testing before the release, I'm 100% sure the bean counters knew what they have created. This is not news to them.
fixed for you.

I won't be surprised if Clarkson won't even review the GSF.
he will because it will be more cannon fodder. even though i think the gs-f is a MUCH better effort than the rc-f.
Old 03-03-15, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I won't be surprised if Clarkson won't even review the GSF.
I'm not sure he has a choice. His job is to review cars....that's what he gets paid for.
Old 03-03-15, 06:25 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i still can't believe the rc f is heavier than a mustang gt.
And faster...check the PCOTY test results done by Road & Track.

Who the heck cares about the weight with this kind of performance and reliability. If you want a track machine for more than 2 days per year, pass on both the RCF and M4 and go by a stripped Cayman S--no AC, door handles, etc.
Old 03-03-15, 06:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

watched clarkson's review. it was dead on. he LOVES the LFA for so many reasons (it's "out of this world"). he didn't expect the RC-F to be the same (obviously way less expensive) but he feels it didn't bring across much of any of the qualities (true) so he's very disappointed. i think that's a sentiment shared by many.
Old 03-03-15, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

i still can't believe the rc f is heavier than a mustang gt.
Agree that it is still somewhat surprising, but the newest Mustangs no longer have that heavy cast-iron live axle in the back....that does save some pounds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-15 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 07:13 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think the ISF was a much better effort from Lexus.

How is the RCF heavier than the ISF anyway?
I always thought the purpose of a "sports coupe" was that they generally are lighter and more agile than their sedan counterparts?

Anyhow, the ISF is what I'd call "refined muscle", it has the acceleration & fun when you want it, but it also has the typical Lexus refinement when you're out n about. Not to mention the practicality of 4 doors and a nice, plush interior.
Unfortunately for the RCF it delivers on none of those fronts.

Also, although a minor complaint, but why couldn't Lexus just use the more ovular exhaust outlets of the ISF for the RCF?
Instead of the strange & silly looking circle ones lol ?

ISF exhaust;

RCF;

Last edited by yowps3; 03-03-15 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 08:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its the same size as an ISF, stiffer chassis, bigger wheels, wider tires, more features, retractable spoiler. It cannot weigh less. A GSF will not be any faster: same weight, higher CoG, longer wheelbase, less rigid chassis.

youre complaining the RCF doesnt have 4 doors, its a coupe. Go look at a GSF. Like complaining a Mustang GT doesnt have 4 door practicality.
Old 03-03-15, 11:59 AM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I still think the ISF was a much better effort from Lexus.

How is the RCF heavier than the ISF anyway?
I always thought the purpose of a "sports coupe" was that they generally are lighter and more agile than their sedan counterparts?
When we compare the baseline models of the RC, IS, and GS, we can truly see how porky the RC compares to its counterparts (especially when compared to the much larger GS):

RC350
184.8 IN LENGTH
72.4 IN WIDTH
54.9 IN HEIGHT
107.5 IN WHEELBASE
CURB WEIGHT 3,748 lb

4GS GS350
190.7 IN LENGTH
72.4 IN WIDTH
57.3 IN HEIGHT
112.2 IN WHEELBASE
CURB WEIGHT 3,726 lb

3IS IS350
183.7 IN LENGTH
71.3 IN WIDTH
56.3 IN HEIGHT
110.2 IN WHEELBASE
CURB WEIGHT 3,593 lb

2IS IS350
180.1 IN LENGTH
70.9 IN WIDTH
56.1 IN HEIGHT
107.5 IN WHEELBASE
CURB WEIGHT 3,527 lb

Just add an extra 200-250 lbs for the equivalent "F" model.
Old 03-04-15, 12:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
It's heavy because they chose the middle section of the IS-C as part of the platform, this was done to to make the car stiff enough to support an eventual convertible version that for some reason has now been axed.
if that's seriously what you believe in.

Lexus did so much testing before the release, I'm 100% sure they knew what they have created. This is not news to them. I won't be surprised if Clarkson won't even review the GSF.
i agreed, i am sure they tested it and were very sure what they made. and i am sure at least yaguchi-san wished he could have done a lot more different things -- just that there is the accounting department right in front of him

Originally Posted by ISF001
Who the heck cares about the weight with this kind of performance and reliability. If you want a track machine for more than 2 days per year, pass on both the RCF and M4 and go by a stripped Cayman S--no AC, door handles, etc.
lol so suddenly weight should not be an issue anymore? give me a break. let's stop creating a criteria and segment of your own

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its the same size as an ISF, stiffer chassis, bigger wheels, wider tires, more features, retractable spoiler. It cannot weigh less.
i surely hope you are not serious about what have just said. that's what technology is about. the 4gs has stiffer chassis, bigger wheels, and tons more features too. isn't that the car is pretty light and not much heavier than the 3gs, if at all.

it's ok to accept the fact that the rcf is heavier than what it should have been because of the chassis design limitation
Old 03-04-15, 06:27 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i surely hope you are not serious about what have just said. that's what technology is about.. the 4gs has stiffer chassis, bigger wheels, and tons more features too. isn't that the car is pretty light and not much heavier than the 3gs, if at all.

it's ok to accept the fact that the rcf is heavier than what it should have been because of the chassis design limitation
It's done all the time. Isn't that exactly what bmw did with the M4 vs the E92 M3?
Old 03-04-15, 08:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrRick
It's done all the time. Isn't that exactly what bmw did with the M4 vs the E92 M3?
exactly. high strength steel, careful redesign of support points, lighter wheels, lighter seats (seats in luxury cars weigh a BUNCH), aluminum panels (roof, hood, etc.), and so on. it can be done. if the company cares.
Old 03-04-15, 08:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

exactly. high strength steel, careful redesign of support points, lighter wheels, lighter seats (seats in luxury cars weigh a BUNCH), aluminum panels (roof, hood, etc.), and so on. it can be done. if the company cares.
lol... it is based on GS... which itself is much lighter than main competitor - 5 series, due to use of high strength steel.

"Problem" is that they based RC on GS, even more so than regular IS.

At least thats the problem when it comes to straightline performance, as many reviews state that cornering is pretty darn good in any case.

But some people here are purposely ignoring all the good reviews and focusing only on bad ones.

IS, GS and RC are based on same platform. There is nothing that Lexus could have done to make RC-F lighter except to strip it out like M4 is (for instance by removing a lot of sound deadening and rest of the "luxurios" bits) and simply not include things like TVD since it weights 70lbs itself.

But what would that accomplish when RC-F apperantly handles great, despite the added weight, which includes 70lbs of TVD too.
Old 03-04-15, 10:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

IS, GS and RC are based on same platform. There is nothing that Lexus could have done to make RC-F lighter except to strip it out like M4 is (for instance by removing a lot of sound deadening and rest of the "luxurios" bits) and simply not include things like TVD since it weights 70lbs itself.

But what would that accomplish when RC-F apperantly handles great, despite the added weight, which includes 70lbs of TVD too.
Not using the IS-C chassis in the middle might help, I wish they never consider a RC convertible if they have to increase weight just so they can use the same chassis for both the coupe & convertible to save money.

I personally don't care for a convertible if they could have made the RC F a little lighter ......

Quick Reply: What will Clarkson think of the RC F? Thoughts?