Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

E60 BMW 5 Series vs W211 Mercedes E Class vs S190 Lexus GS

Old 02-23-15, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Already discussed above. He says he has a German mechanic friend that will take care of this.
OK....Thanks. Didn't notice that comment.

Also is it even possible to get an extended warranty on a 12 year old car?
That's why my post said "If Possible". probably not from the factory, but there might be an aftermarket one. With the aftermarket ones, though, you have to be careful of the fraudulent ones. They are sent in the mail disguised to make them look like legit ones.

If this friend of his is reliable and knowledgeable, though, I agree...the extended warrany may be a moot point.
Old 02-24-15, 08:40 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually w211 e-class pretty much have a bullet proof reliability, most people that run into issues are with it's airmatic suspension. Dealers will often try to rip you off by telling you it's the aimatic strut that's bad (it's $1000 per corner to replace) so of course it's gone bad. But 99% of the time it's the plastic hydraulic line that is leaking and luckily it's only a $25 part.

So if you run into issues in the future make sure it's the line that is leaking and the strut is fine before you fix.
Old 02-24-15, 09:17 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Actually w211 e-class pretty much have a bullet proof reliability, most people that run into issues are with it's airmatic suspension. Dealers will often try to rip you off by telling you it's the aimatic strut that's bad (it's $1000 per corner to replace) so of course it's gone bad. But 99% of the time it's the plastic hydraulic line that is leaking and luckily it's only a $25 part.

So if you run into issues in the future make sure it's the line that is leaking and the strut is fine before you fix.
Eh...the later models were more reliable, but bullet proof is a bit much. The 2003-2005 models in particular had a lot of issues. By now most things should've been addressed though. Some typical issues:

-Leaky panoramic sunroofs
-Keyless Go failures
-Heater control valve
-SBC braking system
-Door lock failure
-Crankshaft position sensor

Nothing earth shattering but it'll keep you entertained. Still love the way these look though.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-24-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 09:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Eh...the later models were more reliable, but bullet proof is a bit much. The 2003-2005 models in particular had a lot of issues. By now most things should've been addressed though. Some typical issues:

-Leaky panoramic sunroofs
-Keyless Go failures
-Heater control valve
-SBC braking system
-Door lock failure
-Crankshaft position sensor

Nothing earth shattering but it'll keep you entertain. Still love the way these look though.
Yeah, looks much better than the E class that came after, but I like the facelifted version better, and yes reliability became more acceptable towards the end of the model cycle.
Old 02-24-15, 09:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An uncle of mine had an E500 when he was still living in Hong Kong many years ago.

I asked him as to why he has a V8 E-class when:
-Fuel prices and taxes are expensive there.
-Not a lot of straight roads in Wan Chai.
-An E200 Kompressor would suffice over there

Then he said it's alright........because my company (American Express) pays for it...
Old 02-24-15, 09:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

E500 would drive smoother, if it's company car, why not lol ...
Old 02-24-15, 10:40 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you have all the paper work done but you didn't know they wouldn't ship the car 1000 miles?
Old 02-25-15, 05:57 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

They're stringing you along because they don't want to deal with shipping the car. I'd say find another car because they obviously don't care about your business
Old 03-11-15, 10:51 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 5.0 liter engine in these MB were pretty much solid. It's all the other bits, including the airmatic suspension that was the source of most issues. Maintenance on the SL is pretty astronomical just FYI even if you do have a trusted mechanic friend. I don't think there were specific issues with those cars for that year outside of the issues discussed regarding most MB models of the early 2000s. It would be best if you can find one with all maintenance records like the E you were looking at.
Old 03-11-15, 04:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
The 5.0 liter engine in these MB were pretty much solid. It's all the other bits, including the airmatic suspension that was the source of most issues. Maintenance on the SL is pretty astronomical just FYI even if you do have a trusted mechanic friend. I don't think there were specific issues with those cars for that year outside of the issues discussed regarding most MB models of the early 2000s. It would be best if you can find one with all maintenance records like the E you were looking at.
Airmatic is one thing, but if the SL500 has ABC then its even worse from a maintenance perspective. The first generation ABC is problematic and very expensive. Also, outside of the same issues I listed above for the E-class, you need to worry about the convertible top. They're actually not that problematic but at its advanced age the pump may need replacement.
Old 03-17-15, 06:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

nice looking car. 24k mi. on a 12 year old car makes me suspicious though.

what IS your budget though?

there's no free lunch. if you want a fancy but 10+ yr old car for a 'good price' it's going to have SOMETHING to deal with and if it's a mercedes, it's going to be expensive.

so even if you get a good deal, can you afford the maintenance?
Old 03-18-15, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

same mileage pics for both cars?

and comparing 2003 vs 2007 seems like a no brainer but obviously 7k is not nothing.

maybe you'd have better luck asking on a mercedes forum?
Old 03-18-15, 09:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
wrong uploaded, but fixed. it has like 22k on it.

that is the thing, SL500 vs SL550, but got to spend a little more :/

i guess a better question would be is the SL550 better built? is it more reliable since its newer?

too lazy to join a MB join
General rule of thumb for german cars is to get the newest you can buy (for reliability purposes)....although new one is getting uglier and uglier (imo)
Old 03-18-15, 11:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
General rule of thumb for german cars is to get the newest you can buy (for reliability purposes)....although new one is getting uglier and uglier (imo)
^^ this. 03 was the first year right? i would try to avoid for sure. i am sure by 07 it was a better car. plus the newer engine was more powerful too. for the same mileage imho 7k is nothing

but regardless, you are buying a "higher end" mb that's pretty old age by now, so just be prepared to shell out for maintenance and repairs
Old 03-18-15, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

again, whatever 'deal' you get, just make sure you have 10k sitting around for maintenance just in case.

as far as the deal - the usual kbb, autotrader, edmunds etc are places to see if the deal is reasonable.

most people don't know that used cars are WAY more profitable to dealers than new cars! i think because people don't properly figure out what the used car price should be, but also because even if they do, the dealer could have got a 'smoking deal' or bargain trade-in.

make an offer on 2007 near what the 2003 is going for - what's the worst they can say?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E60 BMW 5 Series vs W211 Mercedes E Class vs S190 Lexus GS