Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man Fixes 2010 Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Himself for $10; Toyota Wanted $4,456!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 10:45 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
That is true, if dealerships were electrical repair shops, but they're not. And suppose they do see corrosion on the terminals, then what? They can't replace them because Toyota does not sell individual contacts (can't even find a P/N on them). Sure they can clean them, but what for? That's not their business. The owner of the Camry could have taken his car to a dedicated battery shop for a 2nd opinion.
If you work for a dealership, do tell me which one. I know which one to avoid then. I am serious.
Old 02-23-15, 01:43 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i cant see a dealership repair shop doing this component repair service for you, they want to sell you parts. I can see a non dealer affiliated private shop doing this, who doesnt make money off parts
Old 02-23-15, 02:04 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
From the pics he posted, I'd guess his actual time spent working on this was in the 4-5 hour range at most.

If that guess is correct, and to use your theory of all time having equivalent value, this guy just paid himself $1,114/hr to do the repair, vs. having the dealer do it.
I'd put his work time on it between 20-50 hrs, just taking out the battery from under the car alone I would guess will take half a day then to take the battery out of it's protective casing and going throu each individual copper connectors is not something that can be easily done in a day or two. We also have to figure in trial and error time as he probably the first time working on a hybrid car battery, that alone will probably be the most time consuming work out of it all.

When you buy a new battery you do get a New battery plus your old one will still have resale value that you can get back.
Old 02-23-15, 02:09 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
free time really isnt worth the same amount as your work time
Had it been a cool project car or a hobby then sure you can write it off as leisure. But a used boring old carmy used as a daily commute? Oh the time spent on it definitely counts toward work.
Old 02-23-15, 02:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Because it's more profitable for them to replace parts than to spend time taking things apart. If someone comes in with a fried ECU, the dealer isn't going to take it apart, find the blown resistors/caps, run to RadioShack for $5 in parts, replace it for you, and charge $30. They're going to replace the whole darn thing regardless of how simple the fix really is. Plus, they're not trained to do something like that so I wouldn't want them hacking up my parts.
This is an extreme example. I don't expect the dealership to be rocket scientists capable of replacing surface mounted components. What I do expect is a fair price, not outlandish estimates choked full of items the car does not actually need.

And don't tell me this doesn't happen I have numerous documented examples.
Old 02-23-15, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
If you work for a dealership, do tell me which one. I know which one to avoid then. I am serious.
i wonder if it fails under 8 year / 100,000 miles warranty, will you accept them changing 0.5$ part to get it working or do you want new battery?

This goes both ways. For warranty work, it is awesome. For after-warranty, you have a choice to go to specialized hybrid shop for these kinds of repairs.

Same goes when your AT, turbo, fuel pump, starter, alternator and many other parts go... in many cases dealers will only replace parts while there is huge industry around repairing them outside the dealer network. And of course, during the warranty, you will also want everything replaced with new product.
Old 02-23-15, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Because it's more profitable for them to replace parts than to spend time taking things apart. If someone comes in with a fried ECU, the dealer isn't going to take it apart, find the blown resistors/caps, run to RadioShack for $5 in parts, replace it for you, and charge $30. They're going to replace the whole darn thing regardless of how simple the fix really is. Plus, they're not trained to do something like that so I wouldn't want them hacking up my parts.
Agreed, time-wise on the car itself, it's usually easier to replace. But, with replacing, comes strict EPA and other regulations on how to dispose of or recycle used or worn hybrid-system parts. That itself may cost the repair shop or dealership time and money.
Old 02-24-15, 04:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

There is a core charge for the old battery, meaning Toyota takes it and the battery is recycled.
Old 02-24-15, 04:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I'd put his work time on it between 20-50 hrs, just taking out the battery from under the car alone I would guess will take half a day then to take the battery out of it's protective casing and going throu each individual copper connectors is not something that can be easily done in a day or two. We also have to figure in trial and error time as he probably the first time working on a hybrid car battery, that alone will probably be the most time consuming work out of it all.
Your estimate is way off. First off, the battery doesn't come out from under the car, it comes out from inside the trunk. I just watched a 24-minute video on the removal AND replacement of said pack, where the guy doing the work was very slow and methodical about the process, and explained everything along the way. Battery was fully disconnected and ready for removal before the 14-minute mark. I've also seen other reports of people doing this with no previous experience whatsoever, and taking a total of 45 minutes from opening the trunk to having the battery on the bench.

From there, there's a couple of covers to remove (looks like 6 bolts for the main cover), and two buss bars to take off (56 bolts total). That process should take no longer than 10 minutes. One of the articles mentioned that he spent two hours doing exhaustive tests of the pack as a whole and the individual cells, and about an hour cleaning the terminals (not including the 30+ hours of soak time, of course). How exactly are you getting to 20-50 hours?
Old 02-24-15, 09:55 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by geko29
I just watched a 24-minute video on the removal AND replacement of said pack, where the guy doing the work was very slow and methodical about the process, and explained everything along the way.

How exactly are you getting to 20-50 hours?
Like I mentioned in my previous post it's a guest-estimate time as I have no knowledge in hybrid batteries I am also assuming the guy in the OP has not either. Just because you watched a 24 minute how to video doesn't mean you can do it in 24 minutes, the guy in the video is probably a master tech or something. The video is edited right? So that means it takes a lot longer than what it would suggest.
Old 02-24-15, 10:21 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is true, if dealerships were electrical repair shops, but they're not. And suppose they do see corrosion on the terminals, then what? They can't replace them because Toyota does not sell individual contacts (can't even find a P/N on them). Sure they can clean them, but what for? That's not their business. The owner of the Camry could have taken his car to a dedicated battery shop for a 2nd opinion.
Originally Posted by chikoo
My apologies. I just watched a video by Dorman Products and realized my folly. The way the OP article was written, it sounded as if he was talking about the cable contacts. Evidently he did not show or indicate that this is all under covers and requires opening up the battery itself. I'll call it out as a Design Flaw. Toyota needs to make sure that contacts are user serviceable just like they are with the regular batteries under the hood.

Old 02-24-15, 11:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Like I mentioned in my previous post it's a guest-estimate time as I have no knowledge in hybrid batteries I am also assuming the guy in the OP has not either. Just because you watched a 24 minute how to video doesn't mean you can do it in 24 minutes, the guy in the video is probably a master tech or something. The video is edited right? So that means it takes a lot longer than what it would suggest.
Edits at the beginning, none that I saw during the actual work. And as I said in my prior post, I've read reports from others who have NEVER touched one of these things before who went from closed trunk to battery sitting on the bench in under 45 minutes. I can't assume that they're all master techs.

I'm not saying I could get it out in 14 minutes, but I also don't think it'd take me a half day to pull back the carpet, remove 3 cables and 4 bolts and yank the thing out. I think I'd probably fall in the 30-40 minute range.
Old 02-24-15, 12:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

brilliant. I am sure he will be a BIG DEAL on the Camry forums for figuring this out. Reminds me of a member in the LS forum that fixed the LS wind noise issue on his own for pennies.