Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thanks to MKC, Lincoln Fastest-Growing Luxury Brand in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 08:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I love that eggplant color, esp as nail polish on untanned white girls.
I literally lol'd at this post
Old 09-18-15, 09:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The term "fastest growing" is IMHO used only by companies that have nothing else to write about. What I wrote about 100% growth was a jab to that point.
I agree. From what I understand, the NX is out selling the MKC
Old 09-18-15, 10:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

IMO, the headline could have been worded differently. Unit sales year to date are MKC 16,198 and NX 28,834.

I'm sure Ford/Lincoln are pleased with those numbers and % increase in sales. A good trend for them.
Old 09-18-15, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
IMO, the headline could have been worded differently. Unit sales year to date are MKC 16,198 and NX 28,834.

I'm sure Ford/Lincoln are pleased with those numbers and % increase in sales. A good trend for them.
This is a relatively old thread that was first posted some time ago. At the time it was posted, the MKC was the best-selling Lincoln. Lincoln is growing quite well in term of percentages, though its sales obviously cannot match the absolute numbers seen at Lexus.
Old 09-18-15, 02:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Goes to show you that Lincoln has some work to do. I believe the styling is not bold enough for long term stability and the interior while nice is still not interesting enough. I predicted large incentives for the MKX early in the run, and I predict hefty incentives for the MKC.
Old 09-18-15, 02:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Goes to show you that Lincoln has some work to do. I believe the styling is not bold enough for long term stability and the interior while nice is still not interesting enough. I predicted large incentives for the MKX early in the run, and I predict hefty incentives for the MKC.
I doubt that Lincoln expected to outsell the NX, as well as others in the segment (Q5, X3, GLK, RDX etc.) right out of the box. Who knows what their target was but so far sales appear to be decent. Certainly better than if they didn't have it.

I view the styling as an alternative to the creases, lines and angles of the NX and Murano for example. Choice is good and there is a lot of room for both in this hot segment.
Old 09-18-15, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Goes to show you that Lincoln has some work to do. I believe the styling is not bold enough for long term stability
What do you consider "long term stability"? In many cases, bold new styling that pushes the envelope may, look good for a few years, but then lose their novelty and start to collect dust on the lot. More-restrained styling often withstands the test of time, by not necessarily selling like hotcakes for the first couple of years, but then by not drying up, either. Now, in the RX's case, I agree that it is not likely to seriously dry up, regardless of the styling, simply because the vehicle itself is so popular, and, like the Camry and Accord, would probably sell even if it looked like an Aztek. But my point is..........don't just automatically assume that look-at-me radically new styling is going to carry a vehicle years down the road without a snag.
Old 09-18-15, 03:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt that Lincoln expected to outsell the NX, as well as others in the segment (Q5, X3, GLK, RDX etc.) right out of the box. Who knows what their target was but so far sales appear to be decent. Certainly better than if they didn't have it.

I view the styling as an alternative to the creases, lines and angles of the NX and Murano for example. Choice is good and there is a lot of room for both in this hot segment.
We have been hearing for years that American made vehicles are supposed to be back compared to the Japs. Well, the NX is outselling the MKC and the RX will seriously make it difficult for the MKX to do well, especially with the $60K price tag Lincoln is trying to capture. Where Lincoln failed is in the statement or look of the vehicle. The MKc and MKx are just too ho-hum.
Old 09-18-15, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We have been hearing for years that American made vehicles are supposed to be back compared to the Japs.
The auto industry today is global. There is no such thing as a truly American, Japanese, European, or Korean vehicle. That's why we have parts-content and final-assembly-plant requirements on the price stickers of new vehicles in America.

especially with the $60K price tag Lincoln is trying to capture.
You (apparently) completely forgot that MKXs start around 40K.

Where Lincoln failed is in the statement or look of the vehicle. The MKc and MKx are just too ho-hum.
Actually, they didn't fail at all. Lincoln is in substantially better shape today with these two vehicles today than they were 18 months ago, when neither existed.
Old 09-18-15, 03:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

We have been hearing for years that American made vehicles are supposed to be back compared to the Japs. Well, the NX is outselling the MKC and the RX will seriously make it difficult for the MKX to do well, especially with the $60K price tag Lincoln is trying to capture. Where Lincoln failed is in the statement or look of the vehicle. The MKc and MKx are just too ho-hum.
This MKC and MKX will do well. Not at Lexus levels, but better than anything they've had recently and will show growth for the Lincoln division. I agree that incentives will come into play on both.
Old 09-18-15, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This MKC and MKX will do well. Not at Lexus levels, but better than anything they've had recently and will show growth for the Lincoln division. I agree that incentives will come into play on both.
Oh the MKC should do well, but long term I personally think the styling is not bold or polarizing enough. For once, it would of been nice to see Lincoln debut a car that oldsold Lexus which also debuted a brand new car.
Old 09-18-15, 03:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that incentives will come into play on both.
The MKx is the vehicle I would be worried about more, I already brought up the concern with the strange smaller V6 turbo requiring a pricing option upgrade while the RX goes with just the 3.5. At $60K we will probably see $6000-$7000 rebates or credits as the luxury car makers like to call them very early and maybe at the end of the first MY. Lincoln also got a lot of early sales of the MKC as it was early to market and had less competition.
Old 09-18-15, 03:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The MKx is the vehicle I would be worried about more, I already brought up the concern with the strange smaller V6 turbo requiring a pricing option upgrade while the RX goes with just the 3.5. At $60K we will probably see $6000-$7000 rebates or credits as the luxury car makers like to call them very early and maybe at the end of the first MY. Lincoln also got a lot of early sales of the MKC as it was early to market and had less competition.
The MKC had plenty of competition when it was launched, just not from the NX, which was late to the segment. X3, Q5, RDX, GLK have been on the market for years.

I believe the V6 in the MKX is naturally aspirated, so they'll be offering a choice of 4 cyl turbo and a N/A V6.
Old 09-18-15, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The MKC had plenty of competition when it was launched, just not from the NX, which was late to the segment. X3, Q5, RDX, GLK have been on the market for years.

I believe the V6 in the MKX is naturally aspirated, so they'll be offering a choice of 4 cyl turbo and a N/A V6.
The new 2016 MKX has no four cylinder engines, offering a choice between a N/A 3.7L V6 and a smaller Ecoboost turbo 2.7L V6. For everyday driving, IMO, it doesn't need the Ecoboost's extra power. The 3.7L is just fine...and quite refined.

The smaller MKC, on the other hand, does not offer any V6s at all, but a choice of two turbo fours.....a 2.0L and 2.3L turbo. I personally think they should have offered a small N/A V6 as an option in the MKC (maybe the 2.7L without the turbo), but they didn't.