Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thanks to MKC, Lincoln Fastest-Growing Luxury Brand in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 11:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
Lincoln is faking their way to the top. The only reason the MKC is helping them become "The Fastest Growing Luxury Brand" is because Lincoln has forced this car down the throats of it's own employees at their production plants. They are basically taking a loss leasing these cars for something stupid cheap like $0 down $159 a month to employees. So it's not actually consumer's buying Lincoln's product, it's Lincoln taking a loss to make it SEEM as if they are selling this many cars to try and jumpstart sales.
How do you feel about Lincoln or the MKC being a prestige item? Prestige or no?
Old 04-21-15, 12:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
Lincoln is faking their way to the top. The only reason the MKC is helping them become "The Fastest Growing Luxury Brand" is because Lincoln has forced this car down the throats of it's own employees at their production plants. They are basically taking a loss leasing these cars for something stupid cheap like $0 down $159 a month to employees. So it's not actually consumer's buying Lincoln's product, it's Lincoln taking a loss to make it SEEM as if they are selling this many cars to try and jumpstart sales.
thing is, they didnt become fastest :-)... they are barely growing at all, they used 1 month sales stats to push PR, now it looks really bad for them.
Old 04-21-15, 10:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
thing is, they didnt become fastest :-)... they are barely growing at all, they used 1 month sales stats to push PR, now it looks really bad for them.
The sales were already low to begin with. The increase was gonna happen but as it looks the MKC will sell about 24k units a year, not all that impressive if they were selling 300k a year.
Old 04-22-15, 05:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The sales were already low to begin with. The increase was gonna happen but as it looks the MKC will sell about 24k units a year, not all that impressive if they were selling 300k a year.
problem is that rest of their sales is dropping, so they are not going to have that kind of increases - YTD Lincon sales are actually down overall.
Old 04-22-15, 10:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

So for the first 3 months of 2015, Lincoln sales are down 0.6%:
https://corporate.ford.com/content/d...es_Release.pdf

Luxury brands growing in March : Land Rover, Audi, MB, Lexus, BMW, Maserati, Lambo, RR, Ferrari
Luxury brands faltering in March: Lincoln, Acura, Jaguar, Cadillac, Bentley.

Infiniti is steady at +0.25, Volvo +0.02%.
Old 06-14-15, 03:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I was listening to Autoblog podcast today, apparently the Lincoln is now offering $8000 on the hood as an incentive for the new MKC.....yikes
Old 06-14-15, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I was listening to Autoblog podcast today, apparently the Lincoln is now offering $8000 on the hood as an incentive for the new MKC.....yikes
If that offer is in fact correct (which is questionable), all the more reason to get one........ a nice vehicle at an even better price.
Old 06-14-15, 05:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I just looked, and around me they are showing 0% financing for 48 months, and $1000 Owner Loyalty or $2000 Conquest Bonus Cash.
Old 06-14-15, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I just looked, and around me they are showing 0% financing for 48 months, and $1000 Owner Loyalty or $2000 Conquest Bonus Cash.
Yes, that's pretty close to what Lincoln has on their own website....it may vary somewhat by zip code, but is unlikely to be $8000.

http://www.lincoln.com/crossovers/mkc/incentives/

Of course, Jill lives across the border in Canada, not in the U.S. (so the U.S.-website offers may not apply), but it's hard to imagine an $8000 rebate even there.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-17-15, 10:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Was at the auto park tonight and we finally got to see the MKC up close and person. Didn't drive it but got to sit in it.

Overall, the exterior is nice, nothing bold and very Audi like.

Inside, great use of materials, lots of soft materials all over the place and in places you usually don't see for an American car.

They got a lot right. The interior materials reminded me of the previous gen RX330 model.

Now here is the problem, WHAT ON EARTH was Lincoln thinking with the bland and boring center console. No attempt to make a remote touch device. A bland and uninspired center console design. Lincoln came so far with the car but seriously dropped the ball with the center design

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-17-15 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-17-15, 10:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Was at the auto park tonight and we finally got to see the MKC up close and person. Didn't drive it but got to sit in it.

Inside, great use of materials, lots of soft materials all over the place and in places you usually don't see for an American car.

They got a lot right. The interior materials reminded me of the previous gen RX330 model.

Now here is the problem, WHAT ON EARTH was Lincoln thinking with bland and boring center console. No attempt to make a remote touch device. A bland and uninspired center console design. Lincoln came so far with car but seriously dropped the ball with the center design
Nice to hear about the materials

Considering they did away with a traditional shifter in favor of the 'button gears', its not too surprising they went the touchscreen route.
Old 07-18-15, 08:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice to hear about the materials

Considering they did away with a traditional shifter in favor of the 'button gears', its not too surprising they went the touchscreen route.
Touch screens came into style in 1999-2000 if I recall correctly.

The MKC is such a nice product but the center console console is a major desgin flaw. When you sit in a Lexus, Audi, MB, or BMW, buyers will not likely want a Lincoln that feels nothing like the others.
Old 07-18-15, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Now here is the problem, WHAT ON EARTH was Lincoln thinking with the bland and boring center console. No attempt to make a remote touch device. A bland and uninspired center console design. Lincoln came so far with the car but seriously dropped the ball with the center design
A good evaluation. I came to more or less the same conclusion....although I think the console and lower-dash, with its nice big rotary-***** for some functions, is actually a step up from the silly finger-slide sensor controls on the MKZ and some other Lincoln models. The biggest problem with the MKC, IMO, is the strict use of two turbo-4s with no V6 option. V6s, though, seem to be on the way out in favor of turbo-4s.....we also see that on the Lexus NX. The doors also shut with somewhat of a tinny feel for this class....they could feel a little more solid.

But OMG, that purple Tahitian Pearl paint job. What a color.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-18-15 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 09:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Touch screens came into style in 1999-2000 if I recall correctly.

The MKC is such a nice product but the center console console is a major desgin flaw. When you sit in a Lexus, Audi, MB, or BMW, buyers will not likely want a Lincoln that feels nothing like the others.
About a decade and a half yeah.

Even the Continental Concept (and actual spy photos) show Lincoln using touchscreen and gear buttons. Guess they are going for that 'cleaner' look since Remote Touch, COMAND, MMI and iDrive take up space. Jaguar and Cadillac also use touchscreen. iirc Acura and Infiniti use some weird ****/arrows.

Old 07-18-15, 09:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A good evaluation. I came to more or less the same conclusion....although I think the console and lower-dash, with its nice big rotary-***** for some functions, is actually a step up from the silly finger-slide sensor controls on the MKZ and some other Lincoln models. The biggest problem with
OKC, IMO, is the strict use of two turbo-4s with no V6 option. V6s, though, seem to be on the way out in favor of turbo-4s.....we also see that on the Lexus NX. The doors also shut with somewhat of a tinny feel for this class....they could feel a little more solid.

But OMG, that purple Tahitian Pearl paint job. What a color.

Perhaps you should drove the MKC again. The door shut with a nice thud which was impressive.

And the 4 cylinder turbo has outstanding performance that a V6 of similar power would not be able to achieve. The current engine is a absolutely the correct decision by Lincoln.

Quick Reply: Thanks to MKC, Lincoln Fastest-Growing Luxury Brand in the U.S.