Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver Compares the Kia K900 to the LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 03:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
naw, i mean it's still not a respectable luxury badge.

and if i had to spend 60k today, i would look at a depreciated low mile 3 year old german flagship.

in 3 years, the k900 will be just 30k or so.

The styling is awful too.

If they brought this thing however............
Its not respectable in any way. Its no Lexus and it has no brand prestige which is why we love Lexus.
Old 02-13-15, 04:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

There's a chunk of people out there who are not car enthusiasts, do not want to advertise they are rich or have money, but would still appreciate having a spacious, comfortable car with high technology and nifty conveniences. Many of these people are business men and women, commuters, retirees, etc. We here on this enthusiast website are the opposite of that, and mostly judge cars for more passionate reasons.
Old 02-13-15, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There's a chunk of people out there who are not car enthusiasts, do not want to advertise they are rich or have money, but would still appreciate having a spacious, comfortable car with high technology and nifty conveniences. Many of these people are business men and women, commuters, retirees, etc. We here on this enthusiast website are the opposite of that, and mostly judge cars for more passionate reasons.
There are many different types of car enthusiasts...not just the stereotype power and handling enthusiast that is symbolized by much of the auto press and magazines like Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, Automobile, etc....

"Passion" in auto-speak, does not necessarily mean fast driving, space-age styling, or having everything sport-oriented. I, for one, would certainly consider myself an "enthusiast" (consider my 50,000+ CL posts)..but I enjoy driving, reviewing, and talking about virtually anything on wheels......not just so-called "enthusiast" vehicles like sport-sedans, performance cars, sport-cars, exotics, etc.....That's why my logo says "Let's Talk Cars" instead of "Let's Talk Performance Cars".

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 05:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

three years this month with my 2012 Kia Optima Turbo and Zero issues. I agree it's not as refined as other cars but I bought it for the gas mileage and point A to point B driving. Now our 2012 Kia Sorento I've had to replace the battery which was frustrating because it was only 3 years old.
Old 02-13-15, 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In the US in January, only 119 K900's were sold (vs. 220 Equus). Not stellar numbers, but maybe they'll pick up in the upcoming months.
Unbelievable, even Toyota's Land Cruiser outsells those two...COMBINED.
Old 02-13-15, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Unbelievable, even Toyota's Land Cruiser outsells those two...COMBINED.
Quite believable. The K900 has only been on the American market a couple of months. The Land Cruiser has been in the American market 50 years.....since the 1960s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
three years this month with my 2012 Kia Optima Turbo and Zero issues.
Congratulations. Is yours an SX or EX turbo? I think they still offered the EX turbo back then.

I agree it's not as refined as other cars but I bought it for the gas mileage and point A to point B driving.
Why buy the turbo for gas mileage, though?.....I don't quite follow. On the EPA figures, the non-turbo versions have about 2 or 3 better MPG. If you want the turbo's stronger power, then fine.

Now our 2012 Kia Sorento I've had to replace the battery which was frustrating because it was only 3 years old.
A little on the low side of battery life, but not unusual. Batteries, on average, depending on a number of factors, last anywhere from three to seven years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 07:28 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Falling apart? Seriously doubt that. There's no reason this K900 won't prove to be a reliable vehicle. Also fake rich people won't buy a rolling couch- they will buy a leased C-class/E-class or equivalent with zero options.
There is no reason the K900 will be reliable either, they have never made one before. Anything from the plastics inside to the electronics to the suspension components to the power-train is suspect. Even if most of it is very likely reverse engineered work based on what others have done.

Fake richers buying used would still gravitate to the 7ers, the S-classes, and the LSes. The K900 is the opposite of fake-rich, it's fake-poor.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

there's that 'true' word again. some people might laugh at what you consider to be 'true', because it's subjective.
They would laugh if you called Kia a luxury badge. It's not that subjective at all.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is one possible reason......if people simply don't buy them. I think, though, that, despite some of the negative comments posted here, those who want a less-expensive LS460, and who actually take the time and effort to go look at the K900, will consider it. But, being a realist, I don't expect it to sell in LS numbers.
If anyone wants a "less expensive LS460" they can just buy a used one. But a K900 is not a "less-expensive LS460", sure it emulates the LS460 in a lot of parameters, but it lacks the fundamentals for why people buy LS460s or trust the LS nameplate. It's why the LS outsold the K900 8 to 1 last year and the LS is in its second-last model year while the K900 is marketed as brand new.

And before people bring in the 1G LS400 and say "well they said that about the S-class", the LS400 actually introduced its own unique parameters for which people would buy one over an S-class (i.e. superior reliability, service, and refinement for a lower price). The K900 offers no unique advantages aside from price. Price alone is not an adequate leg to stand on in this segment - which is evident again from sales numbers. The K900 is the cheapest car in the segment.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
people used to say the same thing about Lexus. "How much for that big Toyota ???!!! You'd have to be an idiot not to buy a Benz!!" . Those people today are rocking Lexus vehicles. Never say never. You never know

Who said this about Lexus? Toyota back in those days was still a respected nameplate, it was revered for its refinement and build quality. A more expensive Toyota was not necessarily a bad thing in terms of image. But even still the separate Lexus brand showed that even with Toyota, a premium badge is still required to compete in the long term.

Kia on the other hand has a bottom of the barrel mainstream brand image. A more expensive car with a bottom-of-the-barrel mainstream brand image is not a good place to be product wise.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Quite believable. The K900 has only been on the American market a couple of months. The Land Cruiser has been in the American market 50 years.....since the 1960s.
The K900 went on sale in March of 2014, so it has been a lot more than "a couple of months". Monthly sales quickly tapered off to double digits in September (when they sold just 56 units).

This is for a RWD V8 car with a price tag in the range of what the old Acura RL used to cost. The V6 FWD Acura RL was axed when it was posting similar numbers and it was no doubt a much more profitable vehicle for Acura.
Old 02-13-15, 07:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,847 Posts

If you don't thhink people ever laughed at a Lexus when they first came out, youtube some of the late night monologues about Lexus Lol.
Old 02-13-15, 07:44 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you don't thhink people ever laughed at a Lexus when they first came out, youtube some of the late night monologues about Lexus Lol.
I'm not saying they didn't laugh, but Toyota's image then was much much much better than Kia's image even today.

So if they laughed at Toyota, god help Kia.

Still in 10 years or by the late 90s Lexus had cultivated a very respectable image for itself. The Equus has still failed to do that in almost as long and the K900 will likely not live that long at this rate in the US market.

But we need to remember that these cars are primarily Korean market vehicles that have been transplanted for the US market for ****s and giggles (feel the crowd sort of thing). They are not as serious as entries as the LS400 or Lexus was. That project was focused on the US market and focused on becoming a long term competitor in the lux segments.
Old 02-13-15, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

But we need to remember that these cars are primarily Korean market vehicles that have been transplanted for the US market for ****s and giggles (feel the crowd sort of thing). They are not as serious as entries as the LS400 or Lexus was. That project was focused on the US market and focused on becoming a long term competitor in the lux segments.
That's also one reason why both cars are so comfort-oriented. Not only were they first developed and sold in South Korea, but Koreans generally like soft-riding cars that aren't tossed up and down by bumps on rough roads, and they aren't terribly concerned about sharp handling. Hyundai tried making the 1Gen Genesis a borderline sport-sedan with a firm ride, but the (noticeably) smoother-riding 2Gen version seems to be getting better reviews. I myself, like the Koreans, generally prefer a smooth ride...but not to the point of really excessive floatness. I remember test-driving a 90s-vintage Buick LeSabre and Roadmaster that were both so soft, understeered so much, and had so much body-lean, that I thought they were borderline dangerous on sharply winding two-lane roads.
Old 02-14-15, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I never laughed at Lexus, but I am sure laughing at KIA right now.
Old 02-14-15, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good point, SW. And, Kia's recent success is due to the fact that many intelligent and savvy shoppers are no longer laughing at them. Those that do are living in the past.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-15 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 10:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Kia and Hyundai are both mainstream volume brands, accepted by consumers, and aren't going away. Maybe a model or two might not make it in NA but that's about it.
Old 02-14-15, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Kia and Hyundai are both mainstream volume brands, accepted by consumers, and aren't going away. Maybe a model or two might not make it in NA but that's about it.
I would say Tier 2 volume brand, not exactly up there with Toyota, Chevrolet, or Ford. The Genesis overall as a whole has been great, it still has not really been accepted as a true luxury car, its more like a premium car.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Compares the Kia K900 to the LS460L