Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver Compares the Kia K900 to the LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 06:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
nope. If i'm spending $60k, it better have a respectable badge.
I'd rather buy another 3 year old luxobarge
Agree, if I'm spending $60k it damn better have a true respectable badge.
Old 02-13-15, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
K...I....A. + (Today) = Respectable. Simple mathematics.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 08:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Respectable and desirable are two different things.
Old 02-13-15, 08:39 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
K...I....A. + (Today) = Respectable. Simple mathematics.
Kia is not a respectable luxury brand, it is barely even a respectable mainstream brand. There are people who wouldn't be caught in a $15,000 Kia compact sedan, let alone a $60,000 one.

If you have $60,000 to spend, you're either wealthy enough that spending more for status (which is important) is not an issue, or not wealthy enough to really own a car like this and should instead be looking at a Genesis or Chrysler 300 or something.

Also it would be interesting to see how much of a good "value" the Kia K900 is in 10 years when it's inevitably falling apart and selling for rock bottom resale prices. But even then I can't even see the fake rich teenagers wanting one.
Old 02-13-15, 08:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Kia is not a respectable luxury brand, it is barely even a respectable mainstream brand. There are people who wouldn't be caught in a $15,000 Kia compact sedan, let alone a $60,000 one.

If you have $60,000 to spend, you're either wealthy enough that spending more for status (which is important) is not an issue, or not wealthy enough to really own a car like this and should instead be looking at a Genesis or Chrysler 300 or something.

Also it would be interesting to see how much of a good "value" the Kia K900 is in 10 years when it's inevitably falling apart and selling for rock bottom resale prices. But even then I can't even see the fake rich teenagers wanting one.
Falling apart? Seriously doubt that. There's no reason this K900 won't prove to be a reliable vehicle. Also fake rich people won't buy a rolling couch- they will buy a leased C-class/E-class or equivalent with zero options.
Old 02-13-15, 09:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

While I respect your opinion, to me, that theory doesn't make sense. What happens, then, if they do a six-sedan comparison while getting ad money from all six manufacturers? Simply draw straws to determine the rankings? Or rank the cars by which manufacturer pays the most? I'd like to think that most auto journalists are more credible than that.
the 'bottom line' is always there and influencing things more than ever today. i have no doubt that ad money influences even rankings in comparisons. at the very least, ad money may make comments in reviews not say anything significantly negative. i don't believe there's ANY objectivity in ANY media any longer, and probably never was. we can wax nostalgically about walter kronkite but even he had cigarette company sponsors. he was a good man though, but thought the u.s. should give up some sovereignty to the u.n. and strengthen it more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_...tical_activism

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Car mags all have websites, and the same tests you see in print are also online. So I would assume they've found a replacement audience and the requisite advertising to keep from getting desperate with automaker's support.
no chance. website ad revenue hasn't come close to replacing print subscription and print ad revenue although the print revenue is declining so far as to make most magazines in serious danger of disappearing. i personally have no problem with that as it's a giant waste of paper and resources. but because of the squeeze on them, they have to 'cave' to their 'sponsors' more.

About the Kia. Enough time has gone by for that cheap stigma to be erased. They've produced enough nice cars in the last ten years to be creditable. I'd have no shame owning an Optima or K900. Just don't care for the name, which is too close to a K9 dog.
exactly.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
there's that 'true' word again. some people might laugh at what you consider to be 'true', because it's subjective.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Falling apart? Seriously doubt that. There's no reason this K900 won't prove to be a reliable vehicle. Also fake rich people won't buy a rolling couch- they will buy a leased C-class/E-class or equivalent with zero options.
exactly! haha
Old 02-13-15, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Falling apart? Seriously doubt that. There's no reason this K900 won't prove to be a reliable vehicle
There is one possible reason......if people simply don't buy them. I think, though, that, despite some of the negative comments posted here, those who want a less-expensive LS460, and who actually take the time and effort to go look at the K900, will consider it. But, being a realist, I don't expect it to sell in LS numbers.

Now, folks, in all fairness, that's not to take anything away from the LS460, by any means. The LS has been, is, and probably will continue to be a benchmark in luxury-class sedans. The Hyundai Equus and Kia K900 would probably not exist today in the American market in the first place if it were not for the overall success of the LS over the years and the recent success of the Mercedes S550. The Equus and K900 simply offer lower-cost alternatives (perhaps missing a slight bit of refinement), with longer warranties. That's all.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 09:54 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my infamous breakdown on the grapevine on the way to Disneyland we had to rent a Kia optima from the airport. I'll say this for the "inferior" rugrat of a car. It was quieter than my RX350 and was well behaved at cruising speed over L.A. pot hole laden freeways. Just being objective. Won't ever own one but if that experience on a rental was any indication of the direction they're headed then more power to them. It's a solid foundation to start on. I can only imagine what the K900 would be like cabin wise in terms of noise, comfort and handling.
Old 02-13-15, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
In my infamous breakdown on the grapevine on the way to Disneyland we had to rent a Kia optima from the airport. I'll say this for the "inferior" rugrat of a car. It was quieter than my RX350 and was well behaved at cruising speed over L.A. pot hole laden freeways. Just being objective. Won't ever own one but if that experience on a rental was any indication of the direction they're headed then more power to them. It's a solid foundation to start on. I can only imagine what the K900 would be like cabin wise in terms of noise, comfort and handling.
The Optima is quite a nice mid-size sedan (and I seriously considered one when I got my Verano...the Optima was in third or fourth place). But Kia, a couple of years ago, dropped what was IMO the ideal version......the EX Turbo, which offered the added turbo power on the standard softer suspension/tires, without the added suspension/tire harshness of the SX turbo. That's the version I would have gotten, but it is no longer produced. To get the turbo engine, one now must take the stiffer SX chassis with it.

But, as a cruiser, there's simply no Optima comparison to the K900......or to the FWD Cadenza, for that matter. The Optima non-turbo, even on the standard suspension/tires, is designed for a reasonable amount of ride comfort combined with reasonably good handling. The K900, even with its mildly-aggressive 19-inch 45-series tires, is clearly comfort-oriented.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 10:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny365N
Despite reviews I could NEVER own a Kia!
people used to say the same thing about Lexus. "How much for that big Toyota ???!!! You'd have to be an idiot not to buy a Benz!!" . Those people today are rocking Lexus vehicles. Never say never. You never know
Old 02-13-15, 10:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

While I doubt I would buy a $60k Kia, I would definitely consider a $30k one (read: Optima). I have a friend with one who traded in his 3 series and he loves it. Lots of trouble free miles so far.

My parents used to have an '06 Sportage with the V6. They had it for 60k miles and never even had a warranty repair.

While I don't think they are yet to the quality level of some other marques, I do think their progress is commendable and I would now consider one.
Old 02-13-15, 10:54 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have followed most of the Kia reviews for the last 10 years or so, Kia now IS a respectable nameplate. The days of them building junk (back in the 1990s) are long gone.

Well, that's exactly what a K900 will be in three years...a three-year-old luxobarge. Or, of course, for a brand-ew car, one can save right now on a new K9. But, in all fairness, the K900 won't be your cup of tea if you want a handling-oriented sport-sedan. It is a traditional luxocruiser.......for the price, a darn good one.

naw, i mean it's still not a respectable luxury badge.

and if i had to spend 60k today, i would look at a depreciated low mile 3 year old german flagship.

in 3 years, the k900 will be just 30k or so.

The styling is awful too.

If they brought this thing however............
Attached Thumbnails Car and Driver Compares the Kia K900 to the LS460L-kia-four-door-sports-sedan-concept-12.jpg  
Old 02-13-15, 11:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In the US in January, only 119 K900's were sold (vs. 220 Equus). Not stellar numbers, but maybe they'll pick up in the upcoming months.
Old 02-13-15, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
naw, i mean it's still not a respectable luxury badge.
You're entitled to your opinion, which I respect, but at least go look at and drive a K900 and then say how you feel.

and if i had to spend 60k today, i would look at a depreciated low mile 3 year old german flagship.
An extended warranty (which, of course, adds to the cost) is almost a must on any upmarket used or CPO German vehicle that is past (or almost past) its original factory warranty. Buying a used Audi, BMW, or Mercedes is one thing...and, of course, still not necessarily cheap. But, once you get past the initial purchase the prospect of what major service and/or repairs may cost makes an extended warranty almost a given. Those service departments are notorious for emptying your wallet in a hurry.

in 3 years, the k900 will be just 30k or so.
Given typical Hyundai Equus depreciation levels, that's probably a good guess. Makes it even more of a bargain.
Old 02-13-15, 03:26 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's odd the C& D review compared all kinds of figures to the LS460, but made no such comparisons once talking about the handling such as body roll, steering etc Is the K900 just a joke to the LS in this regard, or do they feel in general the LS also does not compete in the category anymore in this regard?

I've been in the K900 at the autoshow and liked what I saw however. I hope they continue to make it simply to add competition to the category.

I had a 2004 Kia Sorento - while for roughly the price of a Rav4 or Honda CRV at the time, this was a bigger truck chassied vehicle that had a very pleasing interior trim. Everyone that was in it was rather surprised...it did NOT age well at all- plastic exteriors like tail spoiler, bumpers, door handles all faded/chipped from normal wear despite regular hand washing - the feaux wood interior faded despite tinited windows and window shade, and worst of all the elecrical harness had some wonkiness- regularly resulting in changing of tail/brake and headlights frequently (every few months) On REALLY hot days the headlights wouldn't come on at all (good thing the fogs worked independently. Engine and drivetrain got progressively louder for no reason and the dealer just said it was in great condition (we took good care of this and went above and beyond scheduled maintenance)

I'd hardly call it a lemon- but our 2000 Nissan Xterra while not as nicely spec'd / trimmed, took a lot more abuse and had not even 1/2 the issues of the Kia. It was for this reason I avoided the used Equus market and looked for an LS.

Kia / Hyundai have come a long way- and 10+ years since my car they've maybe come even further- but they've got a ways to go in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Compares the Kia K900 to the LS460L