Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one do you think looks better?
Honda Pilot
36.36%
Toyota Highlander
54.55%
Nissan Pathfinder
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Honda Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 04:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

everything is really nice except for last 1/3 of exterior... just does not look good.
Old 05-20-15, 09:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
everything is really nice except for last 1/3 of exterior... just does not look good.
Agreed. Everything is mild and modern except the rear. Hopefully the facelift will fix the odd taillights.

What I really dig is the dash and gauge cluster. Honda has the perfect balance of needles and digital readouts in front of the driver. It's my hope analog speedometers will disappear from all vehicles and that space be better used for other info.
Old 05-20-15, 10:15 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, wait, wait. When this one was revealed I agreed with all the "LOL it's a big CR-V" or "LOL it's a Odyssey SUV". But in that AutoGuide video it actually looks really good? How the hell did Honda screw up the studio shots?
Old 05-21-15, 08:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The lobster claw tail lamps looks horrendous here too, as as they did on the Camry. Who the heck signed off this design?
Old 05-21-15, 12:18 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a swollen CRV. Much prefer the boxy, utilitarian look of the last model. Not much to distinguish it from the rest of the pack. Undoubtedly a great vehicle,but much like the MDX, fades into the background.
Old 05-21-15, 09:28 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc Ernst (Chief Engineer for the 2016 Honda Pilot) provides a overview of some of the engineering details of the all new crossover.

Our first drive experience with the 2016 Honda Pilot.
Old 05-22-15, 12:18 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My, how time has changed. Pound for pound based on amenities and style I'd say this easily matches my 2009 Lexus RX and then some. Perforated leather ventilated seats with a nice rear USB power outlet in the back for rear passengers. Entierior looks beautiful. Not sure about fit & finish but aesthetic wise from here looks good.
Don't get me wrong, I love my RX but it does seem to me there is substantial "trickle down" luxuries being given to these suvs that weren't there five years ago.
I say bravo. Well done to Honda. Although I've always been a Toyota buyer this is worth a look.
Old 05-22-15, 09:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Looks like a swollen CRV. Much prefer the boxy, utilitarian look of the last model. Not much to distinguish it from the rest of the pack. Undoubtedly a great vehicle,but much like the MDX, fades into the background.
I test drove the prior gen, and it was unremarkable, at best, especially the IP and the interior. The exterior styling is a subjective thing, but this Pilot is a huge step up.
Old 08-15-15, 09:24 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

If you're looking for an 8-seat crossover you don't have many choices but the new Pilot is the newest and tastiest.
Old 08-15-15, 07:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The Pilot and Pathfinder look bloated with odd proportions and stances. The Highlander, on the other hand, looks brilliant. Functionally, I'm sure the Pilot is a winner but I wouldn't consider one. The rear design and tail lights are a true killer. Those weak, uninspired tails could have been pulled off of a 15 year old model.

The only models in the segment that would be on my list is...

- Highlander
- '16 Kia Sorento (take a look, it's fantastic)
- Explorer
Old 08-16-15, 04:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The Pilot and Pathfinder look bloated with odd proportions and stances. The Highlander, on the other hand, looks brilliant.
haven't looked at the pathfinder much, but i agree this new pilot looks 'top heavy' on the road. the highlander does look good from many angles, but does look a bit 'awkward' in side profile (proportions, front/rear overhangs).

but i do like the highlander - almost bought one, but finding one with adaptive cruise without (the $1800) rear seat entertainment proved to be impossible (thanks again southeast toyota ) otherwise i'd probably be driving one.

The only models in the segment that would be on my list is...

- Highlander
- '16 Kia Sorento (take a look, it's fantastic)
- Explorer
good choices... the explorer to me has just gotten too huge though with vast amounts of 'body' and sheet metal without commensurate inside space. the hood is so high, it's like driving a ship.
Old 08-16-15, 04:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haven't looked at the pathfinder much, but i agree this new pilot looks 'top heavy' on the road. the highlander does look good from many angles, but does look a bit 'awkward' in side profile (proportions, front/rear overhangs).

but i do like the highlander - almost bought one, but finding one with adaptive cruise without (the $1800) rear seat entertainment proved to be impossible (thanks again southeast toyota ) otherwise i'd probably be driving one.

good choices... the explorer to me has just gotten too huge though with vast amounts of 'body' and sheet metal without commensurate inside space. the hood is so high, it's like driving a ship.
Agreed on all accounts. The more I'm seeing the Pilot, the stranger the body's dimensions look. The roof is just too tall.
The trouble with the Highlander's profile is the bloating around the headlights and taillights. From the side, the longest lengths of the body are at the lights. That is all wrong. The longest length of the body should be the bumper areas.
Old 08-16-15, 05:45 PM
SnowPeas
Rookie

I special ordered a white elite pilot with the black 20" rims should be here in a week or so. Can't wait.
Old 08-16-15, 07:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I cannot get over the Highlander's front snout. So instead, I went with the predator mouth.

Saw the new Pilot for the first time today and it looks much more upscale than the previous USB-face model.
Old 08-21-15, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2016 Honda Pilot earns IIHS Top Safety Pick+ score

Press Release

All-new 2016 Honda Pilot Earns a 2015 TOP SAFETY PICK+ Rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)

Aug 21, 2015 - TORRANCE, Calif.

2016 Pilot offers the most comprehensive set of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies ever available on a Honda vehicle

Available Honda Sensing™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies combines camera and radar systems to help detect vehicles, pedestrians and roadway markings

Honda's aims to reduce collisions, injuries and fatalities involving its vehicles, using Honda Sensing™ technology

The fully redesigned 2016 Honda Pilot (automobiles.honda.com/pilot/) has received a 2015 TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) when equipped with optional front crash prevention, bringing Honda one step closer to fulfilling the company's goal to be the first three-row mainstream SUV with the highest available U.S. government (NCAP) and IIHS safety ratings. This IIHS distinction includes a top rating of GOOD in five IIHS crash test modes including a top score of GOOD in the Insurance Institute's stringent small overlap frontal crash test. The 2015 TOP SAFETY PICK+ designation is awarded to vehicles that also have an available front crash prevention system that earns an advanced or superior rating from the Institute. The 2016 Pilot offers an available frontal crash prevention system that earns a top rating of superior.

"The 2016 Pilot is not only the most technologically advanced Honda vehicle on the road today, but the top choice for family SUV buyers interested in safety performance," said Jeff Conrad, Honda Division senior vice president and general manager. "No other midsize mainstream SUV on the market today can match the comprehensive suite of Honda Sensing™ advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies on the new Honda Pilot."

Available on Pilot EX trims and above, Honda Sensing™ can help improve drivers' situational awareness with its various systems, which include the Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) with Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM). These systems benefit from the adoption of a sensor fusion technology integrating the capabilities of a windshield-mounted monocular camera and front grille-mounted millimeter wave radar system to provide enhanced sensing with the ability to identify and anticipate multiple collision scenarios, including those involving a pedestrian. When the system anticipates a collision or road departure, it can initiate warnings and, in certain instances, initiate emergency braking and steering.

"The Pilot demonstrates Honda's commitment to achieving the highest levels of safety performance," said IIHS president Adrian Lund. "The Pilot's crashworthiness ratings set a high standard, and its optional front crash prevention system will help drivers avoid some kinds of crashes to begin with."

In addition, the 2016 Pilot adopts the latest generation of Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure along with a new "3-bone" underbody frame design and new hot-stamped ultra-high strength steel door rings. Together with Honda Sensing™, these engineering features and technologies deliver major gains to the Pilot's collision avoidance and collision protection capabilities.

Standard safety equipment on all Honda models include Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) electronic stability control system, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Brake Assist, frontal airbags, side airbags, side-curtain airbags and a front seat design that can help reduce the severity of neck injury in the event of a rear collision. Honda is also leading the industry in the deployment of rearview cameras, which are standard equipment on all model year 2015 and newer Honda vehicles.

The third generation of Honda's popular three-row SUV Pilot was designed and developed by Honda R&D Americas, Inc., in Los Angeles and Ohio, and is manufactured exclusively by Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, LLC, in Lincoln, Alabama.1

About Honda
Honda has a long history of leadership in the development and application of advanced technologies designed to enhance the safety of all road users, including automobile occupants, motorcycle riders and pedestrians. The company operates two of the world's most sophisticated crash test facilities, in Ohio and Japan, and is responsible for numerous pioneering efforts in the areas of crashworthiness, airbag technology, collision compatibility and pedestrian safety.

1 Manufactured using domestic and globally sourced parts.

# # #

Redesign takes 2016 Honda Pilot to IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ list

ARLINGTON, Va. — The redesigned Honda Pilot, a midsize SUV, has aced the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's small overlap front test. With an available front crash prevention system earning a superior rating, it qualifies for the 2015 TOP SAFETY PICK+ award.

The 2016 model's good small overlap performance is a dramatic change from the earlier generation Pilot, which rated poor.

In the test of the latest model, the driver space held up well, with maximum intrusion of 4 inches at the parking brake pedal. The dummy's movement was well-controlled, with the front and side curtain airbags working well together to keep the dummy in place and protect the head from contact with intruding structure and outside objects. Measures taken from the dummy showed a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.

In contrast, when the 2014 Pilot was tested, the driver space was seriously compromised. The parking brake pedal moved nearly 17 inches inward, and the door hinge pillar moved in about 14 inches. The dummy's head barely contacted the front airbag before sliding off to the left, as the steering column moved to the right and toward the driver. The side curtain airbag didn't extend far enough forward to protect the head.

Like the old version, the new Pilot has good ratings in the Institute's four other crashworthiness evaluations — moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraints. When equipped with front crash prevention, the redesigned SUV qualifies for TOP SAFETY PICK+.

Vehicles must earn a good or acceptable small overlap rating and good ratings in the four other tests to qualify for TOP SAFETY PICK. The plus sign is awarded to vehicles that also have an available front crash prevention system earning an advanced or superior rating.

The Pilot's optional system is rated superior. The autobrake prevented a collision in the Institute's 12 mph track test and cut the vehicle's speed in half in the 25 mph test. The system also includes a forward collision warning feature that meets criteria set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/21/2...plus-official/

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Pilot