Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one do you think looks better?
Honda Pilot
36.36%
Toyota Highlander
54.55%
Nissan Pathfinder
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Honda Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 10:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by situman
This just sent shudders up the spines of Toyota and it's Highlander designers. The 300lb weight loss is impressive combined with better fuel economy and a more solid body as opposed to Toyota resting on it's laurels. It's funny how Hondas were stuck with ancient 5spds but now leapfrogged Toyota and sprinkled their lineup with advanced 9speeds, while Toyota is introducing new ancient 6speeds in the NX. Yes yes the amount of gears aren't really important, but try selling that to the average non-techie Joe.
I highly doubt that the Pilot "sent shudders up the spines of Toyota and it's Highlander designers."

To stand back from the sensationalism:

1) The Gen 3 Highlander has been a standout sales success and Toyota is STILL struggling to meet demand. I am quite sure the new Pilot isn't sending Toyota running for cover.

2) We have yet to see what the fuel economy is going to be like on the Pilot. Remember that Toyota's updated V6 engine is just around the corner, and will likely be tucked into the Highlander in the next year or two.

3) Really, we should be welcoming Honda to the year 2015 - congratulations, finally, a 6AT. As for the 9AT, more is not better. The other cars sharing this transmission have been riddled with complaints and performance problems. When the MDX was announced with this engine, some of the MPG ratings went DOWN.

4) To your point, the "non-techie Joe" doesn't really know or care how many gears are in their transmission as long as the car moves forward and backward and gets good MPG.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 02-12-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-12-15, 11:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This just sent shudders up the spines of Toyota and it's Highlander designers. The 300lb weight loss is impressive combined with better fuel economy and a more solid body as opposed to Toyota resting on it's laurels. It's funny how Hondas were stuck with ancient 5spds but now leapfrogged Toyota and sprinkled their lineup with advanced 9speeds, while Toyota is introducing new ancient 6speeds in the NX. Yes yes the amount of gears aren't really important, but try selling that to the average non-techie Joe.
Not to mention the addition of HIDs, LED DRLs and tail lamps, heated and vented front seats, heated rear seats and some type of easy slide middle seat mechanism. I don't think Highlander has any of those features (although, I'd bet they are only in the top Touring model). IP and dash are updated, eliminating the dual screen setup that has been widely panned. Honda isn't messing around--it looks like they have heard all the complaints about the Pilot, and addressed them.
Old 02-12-15, 11:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I highly doubt that the Pilot "sent shudders up the spines of Toyota and it's Highlander designers."

To stand back from the sensationalism:

1) The Gen 3 Highlander has been a standout sales success and Toyota is STILL struggling to meet demand. I am quite sure the new Pilot isn't sending Toyota running for cover.

2) We have yet to see what the fuel economy is going to be like on the Pilot. Remember that Toyota's updated V6 engine is just around the corner, and will likely be tucked into the Highlander in the next year or two.

3) Really, we should be welcoming Honda to the year 2015 - congratulations, finally, a 6AT. As for the 9AT, more is not better. The other cars sharing this transmission have been riddled with complaints and performance problems. When the MDX was announced with this engine, some of the MPG ratings went DOWN.

4) To your point, the "non-techie Joe" doesn't really know or care how many gears are in their transmission as long as the car moves forward and backward and gets good MPG.
Toyota simply brought the Highlander up to par with the industry. Honda threw everything in including the kitchen sink. Toyota can't meet demand is because its one of the newer entrants in the segment and the Pilot is ancient. Sure this is all spec sheet competition, but you can't tell me anybody that's doing any sort of simple comparison shopping will not notice the technical highlights of the new Pilot over the Highlander. With that said, the new Pilot is damn ugly and I prefer the Highlander in terms of looks.
Old 02-12-15, 11:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota simply brought the Highlander up to par with the industry. Honda threw everything in including the kitchen sink. Toyota can't meet demand is because its one of the newer entrants in the segment and the Pilot is ancient. Sure this is all spec sheet competition, but you can't tell me anybody that's doing any sort of simple comparison shopping will not notice the technical highlights of the new Pilot over the Highlander. With that said, the new Pilot is damn ugly and I prefer the Highlander in terms of looks.
You forget that a good chunk (maybe even a majority) of shoppers in this class just go out and buy the new version of the same car they had before. And others may replace their vehicle based on what they "like" or the looks. I think a minority (maybe even a small minority) "notice technical highlights". "How many cupholders does it have?" "Oooh--I like the captain's chairs." "That transmission button thing is weird--I don't know if I can get used to it." "What's the gas mileage?" "That color is nice." These are statements that will occur much more often "How many speeds does the transmission have?" or "Does is have HIDs" or "What's the horsepower?"
Old 02-12-15, 11:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What "technical highlights" does the Pilot have over the Highlander?

We can agree to disagree about the Highlander simply being "brought up to par with the industry." It has been one of the most positively reviewed Toyota vehicles in the last few years and I think this Pilot is the first vehicle in it's class that has a shot at even being close to the Highlander. The only test I've seen the Highlander lose was to a loaded Hemi-powered Durango, which isn't exactly apples-to-apples.
Old 02-12-15, 12:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

hadn't see this article until now and it also calls pilot "crv on steroids"

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2016-h...-it-1685345002
Old 02-12-15, 12:05 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not to mention the addition of HIDs, LED DRLs and tail lamps, heated and vented front seats, heated rear seats and some type of easy slide middle seat mechanism. I don't think Highlander has any of those features (although, I'd bet they are only in the top Touring model). IP and dash are updated, eliminating the dual screen setup that has been widely panned. Honda isn't messing around--it looks like they have heard all the complaints about the Pilot, and addressed them.
My wife and I bought a new highlander in July. We got the LXE not the Loaded Limited as we did not see the value in the upgrades for the extra 5-7K.
I was shocked when the LXE did NOT have any LED DRL's or even HID's. Even the Limited only added some schwag looking LED DRL's around the Fog housing.. not cool.
Over all we love it though. Enough room for our growing family plus its a beast in the snow (even with the crappy eco tires from the factory.. cant wait to get some real rubber on it)

Like mentioned I bet when the "refresh" comes in a few years they will add that stuff with the newer motor.

I love the look of the Highlander!
Old 02-12-15, 12:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
To each their own, but I think Highlander looks better.
highlander to me is one vehicle that looks better in pictures than in person. i know it's a 3 row vehicle like the pilot but that makes each have a 'big booty' that isn't too attractive.

i almost got one but availability was so difficult i couldn't get a limited with tech package without also getting the ($1800) rear entertainment package i had no interest in.

on a positive note i will say the highlander is a JOY to drive and handles remarkably 'flat' around corners without being stiff. the front row ergonomics and comfort are excellent. i was disappointed in second/3rd/cargo area trim quality though, lots of flimsy cheap plastic and coverings, and that they still don't have LED tail lights or HIDs on any trim level. it will also no doubt have excellent resale value.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-12-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 01:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
highlander to me is one vehicle that looks better in pictures than in person. i know it's a 3 row vehicle like the pilot but that makes each have a 'big booty' that isn't too attractive.

i almost got one but availability was so difficult i couldn't get a limited with tech package without also getting the ($1800) rear entertainment package i had no interest in.

on a positive note i will say the highlander is a JOY to drive and handles remarkably 'flat' around corners without being stiff. the front row ergonomics and comfort are excellent. i was disappointed in second/3rd/cargo area trim quality though, lots of flimsy cheap plastic and coverings, and that they still don't have LED tail lights or HIDs on any trim level. it will also no doubt have excellent resale value.
I saw the Highlander at the auto show, and maybe I was doing something wrong, but the folding the 3rd row up and down seemed to be a 2 handed operation. That's a no-no in my book--my wife's CX-9 is a breeze with putting the 3rd row up and down with the tug of a strap--looks like the Pilot has a similar set up. I like the looks of the Highlander, and Toyota reliability. If I had to replace the Mazda today, though, I'd probably get a Santa Fe (but I wouldn't be able to get the Limited because the captain's chairs middle row makes it a 6 passenger vehicle--only one more than a Mini Countryman....). But--this new Pilot looks like it's pretty good -- we will see on pricing, though.
Old 02-12-15, 01:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

should be a much better competitor to highlander and give consumers more updated choices
Old 02-12-15, 01:59 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poll Time

Old 02-12-15, 02:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I vote for the Highlander's looks. This is simply because it has right-sized wheels. The Pilot looks bloated ontop, with too tall windows and silly small wheels. The Toyota gets the proportions right. However, I've never been a fan of the gaping shelf in the Highlander's dash. It's an aesthetic's failure and encourages American clutter. I'd take the new Pilot's interior, with the Highlander's body for one nice package.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 02-13-15 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-12-15, 03:16 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, this looks way better inside/out than the past model.

One thing though is the leather-it looks so cheap from the picture.

Tough call b/t this and the highlander (and I generally favor toyota)

Pathfinder has no chance b/t these 2.
Old 02-12-15, 05:39 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Exterior : Toyota Highlander Interior: Honda Pilot. Nissan Pathfinder cannot touch either one now especially with a CVT.
Old 02-12-15, 09:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

RX has no excuses

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Pilot