Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one do you think looks better?
Honda Pilot
36.36%
Toyota Highlander
54.55%
Nissan Pathfinder
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Honda Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 12:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Finally! Why didn't this unit appear with the redone MDX? Looooong in the tooth equates to loss of money.
Old 01-14-15, 07:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

whoa, great pics......not.
Old 01-19-15, 08:28 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All-New Honda Pilot and Ridgeline Arriving this Year

Honda confirmed that the redesigned 2016 Pilot SUV will debut in the United States shortly after the launch of the all-new 2016 Honda HR-V SUV, expected in the first half of the year.

John Mendel, the executive vice president of Honda’s U.S. Automobiles division, said at the Detroit Auto Show that 2015 will also see the introduction of the all-new Ridgeline pickup. For the moment it is not clear whether the next-generation Ridgeline will be a 2016 or 2017 model. What is certain though is Honda’s first launch of the year will be the HR-V this spring.

“Shortly after, we’ll introduce an all-new Pilot SUV that will redefine what is possible with an eight-passenger midsize SUV. And further ahead, a completely re-engineered Ridgeline pickup. And we have some more excitement on the passenger car side of our lineup this year as well,” Mendel said without getting into details.

Rivals of the Honda Pilot include SUVs like the Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder and Toyota 4Runner. The related Honda Ridgeline competes with the Chevrolet Colorado, Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma.

Mendel also said 2015 will be a busy year for Honda, with the Japanese automaker rolling out new, small turbocharged four-cylinder engines. The executive did not say which models will get the new turbo units, but Honda is expected to launch at least one turbocharged vehicle by the end of 2015.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/all...ridgeline.html
Old 01-19-15, 01:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Finally! Why didn't this unit appear with the redone MDX? Looooong in the tooth equates to loss of money.
Is Honda really losing money on the Pilot? I cross shopped one in '12 against the Highlander and the CX-9. Even then, the Pilot was way behind those 2 cars in ride quality. The interior was just blah as well. But you can't knock the Pilot overall reliability--that's the Honda selling point, isn't it. You can't go 3 miles around me without seeing one.

Rivals of the Honda Pilot include SUVs like the Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder and Toyota 4Runner.
The 4Runner is what Honda sets its sights on, rather than the Highlander? No wonder the ride quality can't compete with the Highlander.
Old 01-19-15, 02:39 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i really wanted wait for the new Pilot to replace our '04 Pilot, but just couldn't wait anymore so we bought a '15 Highlander. If we were to wait for the Pilot we'd have to wait for another 2 years cuz i never buy first model year cars, ever.
Old 01-19-15, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i really wanted wait for the new Pilot to replace our '04 Pilot, but just couldn't wait anymore so we bought a '15 Highlander. If we were to wait for the Pilot we'd have to wait for another 2 years cuz i never buy first model year cars, ever.
I typically follow that 'rule of thumb' too, though on late model Lexus's like the 4GS for example it has been strong out the gate and bucks the trend unlike the start of 2006/2007 L-Finesse models of IS, ES, GS, LS which were plagued cost cutting measures. Starting in 2010 and for many 2011 models trims and new models like the CT were major improvements for revisions and introductions.
Old 01-21-15, 07:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All-New 2016 Honda Pilot SUV Confirmed for Chicago Auto Show

Honda confirmed that the redesigned Pilot SUV will make its world debut at the 2015 Chicago Auto Show on February 12. The automaker says that the redesigned 8-seater model will bring "new technology, advanced safety, class-leading fuel economy and enhanced family utility and versatility" to the three-row SUV segment.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/all...confirmed.html
Old 01-21-15, 10:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Is Honda really losing money on the Pilot? I cross shopped one in '12 against the Highlander and the CX-9. Even then, the Pilot was way behind those 2 cars in ride quality. The interior was just blah as well. But you can't knock the Pilot overall reliability--that's the Honda selling point, isn't it. You can't go 3 miles around me without seeing one. .
Yes, a dated product is less appealing and people shop elsewhere. See what stlgrym3 posted a few threads up.
Old 02-11-15, 09:58 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Honda Pilot

2016 Honda Pilot
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/201...are-first.html
According to Honda, "the new Pilot represents a dramatic shift in design, while showcasing new standout technologies, versatility, and dynamics currently unavailable in the mainstream SUV segment".

For more details we'll likely have to wait for Honda's press conference in Chicago tomorrow morning.

It's worth noting that the 2016 Pilot likely previews the styling of the upcoming 2016 Ridgeline pickup truck as well.

Old 02-11-15, 10:57 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice evolution for the Pilot!
Old 02-12-15, 12:25 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Quite nice, but a clear attempt to buddy up with the Highlander's elongated profile. At least Honda is entering into an agreeable front corporate face. It's clean, modern, and a tad sporty, with it's liberal air intake openings and canted headlights. Taillights are tacky though, in the same vein as the frowned upon Camry lobster claws that were recently discontinued. Also dig the digital instrument cluster, sans traditional gauges. I don't see a use for those large, round gauges that take up valuable space when only 10% of their image is being read at any given time. Hope to see this ergonomic digital trend continue. In a funny way, GM was way ahead of the game with their 1980's digital speedometers.
On a final note, I'd like to officially say R.I.P. to the central grear shift lever. More and more redesigns are losing this.
Press forth Honda.... this will sell very very well.
Old 02-12-15, 12:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Goodbye boxy body
Old 02-12-15, 05:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

looks like a crv on steroids.
Old 02-12-15, 06:07 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
On a final note, I'd like to officially say R.I.P. to the central grear shift lever. More and more redesigns are losing this.
I find it odd that Honda/Acura uses this configuration, but it still takes up the same space on the console. In the new TLX, the 4 cylinder versions have a traditional shifter, and the V6 has the buttons, but they are laid out so as to utilize the same console cutout as the gear shift. I'm wondering if the Pilot is the same way--do LX versions have a regular gear shift? If you are going to do away with the gear shift, give me more utilization of the console--maybe use a rotating **** instead of a row of buttons? Or put it on the dash? Or do an MB style steering wheel stalk?
Old 02-12-15, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

buttons instead of shifter may still take up room, but not 'vertically' making it easier to get to storage cubby holes, less intrusion with cup holders, etc.

chrysler/dodge/jeep is moving to the rotary dial too, but my jeep has a stubby shifter with no gear 'positions' just an indicator. it's a bit strange but works fine once you get used to it! and i love no worthless leather boot which never made any sense to me on an auto.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Pilot