Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ever go to the wrong side of the gas pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 03:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Talking ever go to the wrong side of the gas pump?

apparently this woman had trouble figuring it out.

Old 02-11-15, 03:46 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I pump at Costco. No worries mate.

Old 02-11-15, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The last time I saw something like that was on the Three Stooges.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-15 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 05:06 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

a long senior moment
Old 02-11-15, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Most American motorists, for convenience (and to make it easier to line the car up at the pumps), prefer the gas-filler system on the left (driver's) side of the car. But, for a number of reasons, some vehicles have the flller on the right (passenger's side). Although it can lower the cost and complexity of production in vehicles destined for certain right-hand or left-hand drive markets, the usual reason given by auto manufacturers for having the filler-pipe on the opposite side of the driver is safety. The assumption is that, in a sideswiping-accident, because of typical traffic patterns, a car is more likely to be sideswiped on the drivers' side than the passengers' side, therefore increasing the chances of the impact rupturing the pipe or causing other damage that leads to a fuel leak and fire.

And either side, IMO, beats the old system, decades ago, on American cars with the old chrome bumpers, of hiding the filler-pipe behind a hinged rear license-plate that you pulled down against a loaded-spring. (Bob......I'm sure you'll remember those) Not only did the almost horizontal tail pipe spit gas back out at you (I got a gas-soaked shirt or pants more than once when I worked in a gas station in high school), but you had to fill up some big cars with 25 gallons....and that took time getting it all in without half of it ending up on the pavement or your clothes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-15 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 05:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

They should make it a global standard to one side
Old 02-11-15, 05:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
well an absolute side wouldn't make much sense since cars are lhd and rhd (or whacky mclaren cars with the seat in the middle ). now a standard that said it's either on the SAME or OPPOSITE side might make sense.
Old 02-11-15, 05:32 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Check for an arrow by the gas pump icon on the IP
Old 02-11-15, 05:32 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone are so lazy! Why risk scratching the paint?!
Old 02-11-15, 05:41 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most American motorists, for convenience (and to make it easier to line the car up at the pumps), prefer the gas-filler system on the left (driver's) side of the car. But, for a number of reasons, some vehicles have the flller on the right (passenger's side). Although it can lower the cost and complexity of production in vehicles destined for certain right-hand or left-hand drive markets, the usual reason given by auto manufacturers for having the filler-pipe on the opposite side of the driver is safety. The assumption is that, in a sideswiping-accident, because of typical traffic patterns, a car is more likely to be sideswiped on the drivers' side than the passengers' side, therefore increasing the chances of the impact rupturing the pipe or causing other damage that leads to a fuel leak and fire.

And either side, IMO, beats the old system, decades ago, on American cars with the old chrome bumpers, of hiding the filler-pipe behind a hinged rear license-plate that you pulled down against a loaded-spring. (Bob......I'm sure you'll remember those) Not only did the almost horizontal tail pipe spit gas back out at you (I got a gas-soaked shirt or pants more than once when I worked in a gas station in high school), but you had to fill up some big cars with 25 gallons....and that took time getting it all in without half of it ending up on the pavement or your clothes.

Makes me wonder why they wandered away from this... My 71 Cutlass had the spring loaded license plate...miss it.
Old 02-11-15, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Makes me wonder why they wandered away from this... My 71 Cutlass had the spring loaded license plate...miss it.
Probably for better safety in rear-impacts. Although a sturdy '71 Cutlass is not a flimsy Pinto by any means, the 70s-vintage Ford Pinto taught a painful lesson in what happens when gas tanks and filler-pipes are placed in risky locations behind the rear protective frame-rails.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-15 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 08:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well an absolute side wouldn't make much sense since cars are lhd and rhd (or whacky mclaren cars with the seat in the middle ). now a standard that said it's either on the SAME or OPPOSITE side might make sense.
I dont think it really matters which side its on, and you can still pull into a gas station to fill up that side regardless of LHD or RHD. What really bothers me is the same make having different models on different sides...Im looking at your MB
Old 02-11-15, 08:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

gas cap should ALWAYS be on the drivers side. Whats the point of putting it on the passenger side, so your passenger can fill it up?
Old 02-11-15, 08:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
apparently this woman had trouble figuring it out.

I'm sure my petrol cap was on this side - YouTube

She just does not have the geometrical mindset to figure out how to get the gas cap on the side facing the pumps. I once worked with someone like that (in engineering, no less!). The person just could not figure out, when parallel parked next to a fence, how to turn the steering wheel to get out of the spot. The person may have been a good artist but not a very good engineer.

Originally Posted by RXSF

Toyotas all have the gas caps on the left-hand side (which happens to be the driver's side here in North America). I believe that Hondas are the same. This is likely, then, to be on the passenger side on their Japanese models (which would fit with what mmarshall stated about keeping the gas cap on the passenger side for safety reasons).

But I have noticed that Mazdas (at least Mazda3s) have the gas cap on the passenger (right-hand) side here in North America. Does anyone know if Japanese model Mazdas also have their gas caps on the right-hand side in Japan or did they change sides when they localized their cars for left-hand drive countries?

Originally Posted by mcomer
Check for an arrow by the gas pump icon on the IP

I remembered to do that when I went to fill up the rental car prior to returning it last week. Otherwise, I could have been the subject of a similar video.
Old 02-11-15, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

my (now ex) ford explorer had it on passenger side. my jeep grand cherokee has it on driver's side. i also love that my jeep has no gas cap!

Quick Reply: ever go to the wrong side of the gas pump?