Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

i need help with my 1993 lexus es 300

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 01:35 PM
shaggy777
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i need help with my 1993 lexus es 300

all right so this is my lexus i am pretty much in love with this car i will be posting more pictures but i plan to completely restore this car to new condition all though its in amazing condition for the year but there are so many lexus owners and i would like opinions and help on if i should restore this color or paint it a different color and i would really like to put new wheels on it since those are old on that car and it takes 5x114.3 wheels and i would love opinions from other lexus owners cause after i finish this project i'm going to do a ls400 build.
Old 02-11-15, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As far as changing the paint-color, that would depend on how far you plan to go in your restoration....and what the car needs. If you are going to do a relatively simple frame-on restoration (where the car is not completely disassembled and totally rebuilt) you're probably better off either repainting the present color or something very close to it. That's because you won't be able to properly re-paint all the metal frame surfaces under the skin, and the resulting two-tone car underneath will look ridiculous when the hood or trunk is raised. If, however, you are going to do a total, frame-off restoration (which usually costs a lot more, and your car probably doesn't need it unless there is serious frame rust or damage), then, of course, because the entire unibody frame gets matching paint along with the outer panels, you can choose any color you want. But, keep in mind that if and when it ever comes time time to sell it (assuming you aren't going to keep it forever), there probably won't be many prospective buyers, even for antique cars, interested in a bright yellow, lime-green, purple, pink, or orange ES.....usually, factory-original colors are the easiest to resell.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 02:39 PM
shaggy777
Driver School Candidate

Default i should have been more specific

By Restoring the car i should have been more specific i do not need to do body work to the car the body is rust free and the car is in very good condition if you look at the pics on my profile u'll see as well its just that while i have this car i believe if i'm going to own a lexus i'm going to take pride in the car and make it look as new as possible i plan to do a new exhaust and muffler, ecu upgrade, New wheels still gonna keep the old ones aside and i want to paint this car and no i don't want to paint it a ridiculous color lol i was thinking black with some sort of pearl over it or just a really nice black unless anyone else has an idea that i like more. I just wanna make this car look newer and more classy on the outside as the inside is all ready in immaculate shape.
Old 02-11-15, 02:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Looks like the car has already been re-painted. ECU upgrade does not exist for your car.
Old 02-11-15, 02:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I've always been a fan of the 2nd generation ES. Looks like you found a good one.

Personally I would keep the car the color it is now, restoring it to its former glory. ;-)
Old 02-11-15, 02:58 PM
shaggy777
Driver School Candidate

surprising that is the original paint job on the car it had three owners before me a man in his 40's his son and a mechanic at a local shop near me and i love the car the color is nice ill admit but im trying to figure out if there would be any other good color idea's because one of my older friends works as an auto painter and as long as i buy the paint he will paint it any way i would like so that makes any paint job within range cause i could even get it painted candy or any of the premium quality paints for much cheaper then normal and he does amazing work. i also need to figure out some idea's on wheels for this car i really just wanna make this a pride and joy. i will post more pics on here of the car currently

Also this car comes with a story i forgot to mention its dash is at just bearly over 190k but it is documented and everything from the motor the transmission and everything else under the hood is at 52,000 thanks to an autoshop selling a few defective parts killing alot of those parts replaced

Last edited by shaggy777; 02-11-15 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggy777
i want to paint this car and no i don't want to paint it a ridiculous color lol
Yes, I kind of figured that. But, I felt that, if you changed your mind, it should be pointed out that more than one car owner has found a resale difficult because of a non-standard factory color.

i was thinking black with some sort of pearl over it or just a really nice black unless anyone else has an idea that i like more. I just wanna make this car look newer and more classy on the outside as the inside is all ready in immaculate shape.
A high-gloss jet or pearl black finish, of course (if done correctly, without orange-peel in the texture) looks great when it is just-washed/dried and all cleaned up. But it can be a pain in the a** to take care of, often shows every possible imperfection or speck of dirt, can get hot as h*** sitting in the summer sun, and require more than usual A/C use.

And, again, if you change the surface body paint color without a major restoration and repainting of everything underneath, the car will have two different colors above and below the skin, when you open the hood or trunk. If you don't mind that, then fine.....go for it. And if you do paint it black, I'd recommend you have covered areas you can regularly park the car under, particularly in the summer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-15 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 03:35 PM
shaggy777
Driver School Candidate

again i'm not sure if i am going to keep same to similar color or repaint a different color just looking at good quality paints and colors if i do and if i do repaint everything with get taken off to paint i will not have a two colored car in that sense. I plan to give this car glory like it deserves. I have to get to work by the end of summer i'm gonna have this build finished so i can start saving up for an ls400 to go beside and surpass this one
Old 02-11-15, 04:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

looks in great shape and doesn't look like it needs painting.
Old 02-11-15, 04:33 PM
shaggy777
Driver School Candidate

Its not that it needs painting its that honestly i'm not the biggest fan of such a light color and since i'm putting new wheels on it i was thinking about getting it painted and maybe color changed due to having family that are professional painters and can do it for me so i was thinking a real top of the line or maybe even more unique color because of the discount i'm just really proud of myself for being able to own a Lexus at 20 years old and since i'm making decent money i want to really to make this car nice hence the wheels and paint i also just ordered a really nice sound system for it.