Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Technology Behind or Ahead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 05:33 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sulu

As the in-car radios morph into infotainment systems that can allow you to change car settings (like throttle and steering settings), and gain more features, especially Internet access (4G LTE) and built-in Wi-Fi, a gateway opens up to the bad outside world.

A hacker merely has to get into your car's computers via the car's Internet connection (just as hackers can get into your home computers now through viruses and other malware) and from there may have access to the many ECUs. If you can change your throttle or braking response through your infotainment system, a hacker could also send a virus into your car's system that would -- when activated -- change settings without you knowing it.
Valid point

I'm personally concerned with smartphone apps that tie in with your car's functions.

That Hyundai Blue Link app is one example. Their app allows you to lock and unlock you vehicle doors.

Now why the f***ing hell would I want my smartphone to have access to my car.

Personally I would not bother with such nonsense.
Old 02-12-15, 05:44 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of new cars now also have those gimmiky auto parking assist in which a car can control steering, brake and gas and park itself so whatever functions that controls those features a hacker can take complete mechnacial control of your car by hacking it.
Old 02-12-15, 08:38 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
A lot of new cars now also have those gimmiky auto parking assist in which a car can control steering, brake and gas and park itself so whatever functions that controls those features a hacker can take complete mechnacial control of your car by hacking it.
No they can't. Self-parking mode has its limitations as far as maneuvering the car and it cant take you up to speed. I would assume that's all flashed within dedicated hardware so there is no way anybody can change that with soft code.

Btw remote door unlock system has been intruded over ten years ago, if we are talking about "hacking" here.

Bottom line is if your car has been marked there is really nothing you can do about it, it all depends how far thieves are willing to go to get it.
Old 02-12-15, 11:12 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do know one thing, Lexus AC system, rain-sensing wiper, and cruise control are pretty old. They haven't changed in previous three generations.
Old 02-12-15, 11:19 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
No they can't. Self-parking mode has its limitations as far as maneuvering the car and it cant take you up to speed. I would assume that's all flashed within dedicated hardware so there is no way anybody can change that with soft code.

Btw remote door unlock system has been intruded over ten years ago, if we are talking about "hacking" here.

Bottom line is if your car has been marked there is really nothing you can do about it, it all depends how far thieves are willing to go to get it.
I doubt that. It would depend on the car's speedometer and hackers at UCSD and University of Washington showed it is very easy to fool a car thinking it is doing 130 mph when it is parked or doing 1 mph when it is doing 50 mph.
Old 02-12-15, 11:20 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormwind
You do realize that cars with electric steering can be hacked to fight against you.It is not just parking assist.
Old 02-12-15, 11:24 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
Many automotive systems are electrically- (and electronically-)assisted these days. Although the brake pedal is mechanical, ABS and all nannies that use ABS, including traction control, stability control, etc. are electronically-assisted. When they say "electronically", read "software". Steering is also mechanical but electrically-assisted these days, which allows for the automatic parking system that Lexus came out with and which even Ford has on compact cars now.

Right now, it is difficult to hack a car's electrical and electronic systems but it may get easier, unless the auto manufacturers remember one important rule of Internet and intranet communications: the strong firewall. As the in-car radios morph into infotainment systems that can allow you to change car settings (like throttle and steering settings), and gain more features, especially Internet access (4G LTE) and built-in Wi-Fi, a gateway opens up to the bad outside world.

A hacker merely has to get into your car's computers via the car's Internet connection (just as hackers can get into your home computers now through viruses and other malware) and from there may have access to the many ECUs. If you can change your throttle or braking response through your infotainment system, a hacker could also send a virus into your car's system that would -- when activated -- change settings without you knowing it.
They can use bluetoothor gsm signals or use a program from music files on your usb or tainted dealership software. I do not think most people should be scared about a car being controlled to kill you, but more likely ransom hacks. I guess there is the potential of terrorists doing a widespread car car for large scale murder.
Old 02-12-15, 11:39 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

We all have also forgotten about this thing that replaced our sunglasses holder!
There are no specifics, other then Enform Safety-Connect being able to send vehicle location to the authorities. It is possible it could cut the engine, like other systems can.
Theoretically, an update could be sent to it via cell signal with malicious software.
Just imagine an entire fleet of vehicles being taken out by a virus.