Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?

Old 04-21-15, 11:25 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Taking a douche move from the silly car "reviewers" that litter YouTube, let's just say its "sporty".
"why is my ride so rough?". Oh it's "sporty"
"why is my car so loud?". "sport" mode
"why does my steering wheel jiggle so much?" "sporty" feel
Im so sick of these reviewers, Consumer Reports included (here lately) downplaying luxury and calling it "sporty".
"why's my BMW spewing blue smoke out the tail pipe?". Oh it's the "sport" edition.
Lexus and Toyota need to IGNORE these airhead reviewers and stick to providing the smooth,luxury, isolated, cocoon of silence Toyota/Lexus built their reputation on.
That is why I got my ML350. Serene driving on the highway with the dunlop grandtrek tires. Comes with xtra thick glass and ceramic tint all over, including windshield.
Old 04-21-15, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pamperme
lexus and toyota need to ignore these airhead reviewers and stick to providing the smooth,luxury, isolated, cocoon of silence toyota/lexus built their reputation on.
+1

That's not to say that there's no place for sport sedans (there is, of course). But, for the most part, you're right. And even my 2001 IS300, at that time probably the most sport-oriented Lexus product, rode and drove quietly (it also had the 16" wheel option and less-aggresive tires than the 17" standard high-performance rubber). That smoother/quieter-riding option, with all-season tires, was discontinued on the 2Gen IS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-15 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 05:52 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

We have a 15 and it is louder than our 08 when accelerating from a stop. Once it's up and going it is nicer and more quiet. I think it's probably due to double pane windows. On the other hand, I wouldnt consider RX as a luxury SUV. Maybe your expectations are a bit too high. Your friend's truck may also have more rubber than your RX. The GX is more quiet than the RX and LX is even better which I think is considered luxury SUV. RX is more less like a Premium IMO.
Old 10-13-15, 06:07 AM
David2gs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am custom redoing my interior on my 04 GS430... I completely agree with you about why i chose Lexus and the surprising cabin noise... No i dont need to balance my tires... Its just not soundproofed well... Here is a pic of what im doing... Hope it helps... First im laying down a layer of thin aluminum tape (there are big sheets you can buy that are job specific but will cost a fortune)... It took 2.3 rolls of aluminum tape to do one door... Anyways, on top of this i will apply HUSHMAT... Its basically a type of sticky (on one side) foam that soundproofs your car... The aluminum will help with temperature more and with soundproofing just a lil bit... Keep an eye out in the 2GS section as a tutorial thread is coming soon.

Prices are gonna be like $750 for the hushpad, $50 for the aluminum tape... $250-$500 for the install... Id recommend doing it yourself as most places dont cover everything well and do crap jobs.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-13-15, 08:28 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I found adding sound deadener to the floor and wheel well works the best. My doors in my GS have 3x layers of sound deadening material plus ensolite foam. Still didn't do much as one layer of deadener on the floor. At least my midbass is thumping. LOL
Old 10-13-15, 11:20 AM
David2gs
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
I found adding sound deadener to the floor and wheel well works the best. My doors in my GS have 3x layers of sound deadening material plus ensolite foam. Still didn't do much as one layer of deadener on the floor. At least my midbass is thumping. LOL
What material did you use and what thinkness if you put 3x the insulation 😳😳
Old 10-13-15, 06:14 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GS in particular is a very noisy car no matter which tires you put on it. I've got brand new Michelin AS3's on it and it is still a noise machine at lower speeds.

I too was drawn to Lexus for its quiet reputation after testing a LS400 a few years earlier but realized that I had made the performance tradeoff for handling when I bought my 02 GS430.

Problem is that Lexus cheaped out on soundproofing. Take out the back seats of a GS and look at bare metal staring you in the face. Astonishing failure on Lexus' part.
Old 10-14-15, 06:43 AM
David2gs
Rookie

Originally Posted by MattyG
The GS in particular is a very noisy car no matter which tires you put on it. I've got brand new Michelin AS3's on it and it is still a noise machine at lower speeds.

I too was drawn to Lexus for its quiet reputation after testing a LS400 a few years earlier but realized that I had made the performance tradeoff for handling when I bought my 02 GS430.

Problem is that Lexus cheaped out on soundproofing. Take out the back seats of a GS and look at bare metal staring you in the face. Astonishing failure on Lexus' part.
I definitely agree... The pursuit of perfection should include soundproofing lol
Old 10-14-15, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Every Lexus vehicle I've ever had has been very quiet. 3 LS's, a GS, two ES's.
Old 10-14-15, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Every Lexus vehicle I've ever had has been very quiet. 3 LS's, a GS, two ES's.
right well try an older rx.
Old 10-14-15, 11:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I've had RX vehicles over the years as loaners and never found them loud...
Old 10-14-15, 05:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by David2gs
What material did you use and what thinkness if you put 3x the insulation ����
3x Second Skin Damplifer and 1x Raammat ensolite foam for the doors. 1 layer of Raamaat BXT on the floor. My doors are pretty heavy lol.
Old 10-14-15, 05:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a sound meter check on my Lexus today. It was a whopping 76 db on course pavement. And on on billiard smooth pavement it was 73db. This was from 30 mph to freeway speeds. Windows closed fan off, radio off.

I was looking at the Hushmat option too. But it is hard to believe that a $50K car back in the day had nothing on the floor pan. Also when you go on fine gravel with tiny little rocks you'll hear them intrude into the cabin through the wheel wells.
Old 10-16-15, 01:44 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David2gs
I definitely agree... The pursuit of perfection should include soundproofing lol
Soundproofing (silence) helps sell cars. It gives an impression of quality.

Hard to believe a company like Lexus would cut back there. Stupid move if you ask me. $50 worth of soundproofing on a 50K car? Hmmmm, seems fair to me.
Old 10-16-15, 05:37 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Soundproofing (silence) helps sell cars. It gives an impression of quality.

Hard to believe a company like Lexus would cut back there. Stupid move if you ask me. $50 worth of soundproofing on a 50K car? Hmmmm, seems fair to me.
Probably done in the pursuit of weight reduction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?