Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Goodyear Assurance comforted touring. They SUCK A$$. Loud as banshee.
Thats your problem. You need to replace the tires with something quieter, the difference will ASTOUND you.
Old 02-15-15, 02:00 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Thats your problem. You need to replace the tires with something quieter, the difference will ASTOUND you.
True. I did a simple test with the same meter on my phone in the IS350 today returning just a few minutes ago from San Francisco. Avg was 69-72 db @ cruising.
You might think not a fair comparisons. Prior to me switching out the run flats on the sports car I can say without any doubt it was not a quiet vehicle. Loud just like the RX. So I suspect a reduction by approximately 6 db just by replacing the tires. Maybe.
Old 02-15-15, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True. I did a simple test with the same meter on my phone in the IS350 today returning just a few minutes ago from San Francisco. Avg was 69-72 db @ cruising.
You might think not a fair comparisons. Prior to me switching out the run flats on the sports car I can say without any doubt it was not a quiet vehicle. Loud just like the RX. So I suspect a reduction by approximately 6 db just by replacing the tires. Maybe.
You also need to understand that the "decibel meter on your phone" is not a scientific instrument lol. A phone is not designed to measure decibels, and while that app is kind of cool (I have it too) its not an accurate figure.

Whether we perceive something as quiet or not also doesn't only depend on the decibels. Frequency, vibration, all play a role.
Old 02-15-15, 09:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

big +1 here..... changed the tires on my wife's A5 and it was like a different car entirely....much quieter and smoother.
Old 02-15-15, 02:03 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

You also need to understand that the "decibel meter on your phone" is not a scientific instrument lol. A phone is not designed to measure decibels, and while that app is kind of cool (I have it too) its not an accurate figure.

Whether we perceive something as quiet or not also doesn't only depend on the decibels. Frequency, vibration, all play a role.
Haha! Yes I know. But so long as you use the SAME instrument of measure regardless of it's lack of sophistication throughout your reading consistently it's "accurate". It's when you decide to use multiple units of measure be it a ruler to cut something or an electronic device that variables get thrown.
So it's not scientific but go with what you have and stick with it. Don't change it up from one vehicle to the next. Now who's to say this app isn't the most scientific software but it's the mind boggling variety of phones that skew everyone's results? The speaker & software, placement of speaker, size of opening etc in a Samsung vs Apple will guarantee that result in your test & mine will be different. The key is consistency throughout the test. But they aren't that far off.

http://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-b...09/sound-apps/

Last edited by rxonmymind; 02-15-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-15-15, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whats going on around you makes a big difference too. Just for grins I pulled mine out today, I had a 40 mile or so highway drive I did today. Driving up there it was VERY windy, we've had wind gusts up to 60MPH, windy enough to buffet the GS around, so thats pretty windy. My app read about 77 decibels in the cabin with a lot of headwind and surrounded by traffic at about 75 MPH.

On the way back, the wind was to my back and it had settled down, and nobody was around me...it read 69-71. Same stretch of road, same type of pavement, different circumstances around me.
Old 02-15-15, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Whats going on around you makes a big difference too. Just for grins I pulled mine out today, I had a 40 mile or so highway drive I did today. Driving up there it was VERY windy, we've had wind gusts up to 60MPH, windy enough to buffet the GS around, so thats pretty windy. My app read about 77 decibels in the cabin with a lot of headwind and surrounded by traffic at about 75 MPH.

On the way back, the wind was to my back and it had settled down, and nobody was around me...it read 69-71. Same stretch of road, same type of pavement, different circumstances around me.
Not just the wind, but, today, in the D.C. area, was also so darn cold (7 degrees at my house this morning on the way to church) that, in addition to the wind noise alone, the low temperatures themselves did a number on other noise-making components as well. For instance, I noticed more than usual suspension stiffness and thumping (from cold fluid in the shocks), tire noise and stiffness from cold rubber, and engine noise during the LONG warm-up.
Old 02-15-15, 05:14 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

I completely agree. However, sadly, I can't make those kind of excuses for my RX. Usually the wind is 5 mph here in the central valley and measurements were taken during calm days. Now that you mention it combined with rain those tires are louder. Interesting discussion. A lot of variables for sure but these apps do give us a general idea of the amount of noise we are immersed in daily. Not saying this should make or break a sale but a nice tool to add on a checklist for buying the next car or improving an existing one.
Old 02-15-15, 05:19 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not just the wind, but, today, in the D.C. area, was also so darn cold (7 degrees at my house this morning on the way to church) that, in addition to the wind noise alone, the low temperatures themselves did a number on other noise-making components as well. For instance, I noticed more than usual suspension stiffness and thumping (from cold fluid in the shocks), tire noise and stiffness from cold rubber, and engine noise during the LONG warm-up.
Um that's me before I get in the car. Maybe my meter has been measuring me....
Old 02-15-15, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Every tire is louder in the rain...
Old 02-16-15, 05:38 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

FYI, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring are not loud tires by any means, in fact they are incredibly quiet. Check TireRack, and look at their ratings. I have these ACT Touring tires on my ES, and they are the quietest tire that have been on the vehicle.

Your particular set of tires may have issues (slipped belt, cupping, etc.), but in general these are great tires and have completely exceeded my expectations for what Goodyear could produce.
Old 02-16-15, 06:32 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
FYI, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring are not loud tires by any means, in fact they are incredibly quiet. Check TireRack, and look at their ratings. I have these ACT Touring tires on my ES, and they are the quietest tire that have been on the vehicle.

Your particular set of tires may have issues (slipped belt, cupping, etc.), but in general these are great tires and have completely exceeded my expectations for what Goodyear could produce.
I want to believe you but the numbers on the meter don't lie. Take a reading for yourself. Over a concrete causeway I'm hitting 82 db. On regular freshly paved smooth new road 75 db. These tires are fairly new and have the better postage size gram weights on it for optimum balance.
On a Diymobile car audio forum I posted a thread titled "How loud is your car". A forum member participated and came back with this...

"Just checked out my '91 Corolla sedan.

Idle - 47db
60mph - 77db
75mph - 79db

I'm on good stock size Michelin's and that was about as smooth as asphault gets around here. Car is all stock."
~End quote~

In the same ballpark as my Lexus. Not zip code but ball park. 7 db higher @idle and pretty dead on at both speeds. Isn't that something?
Old 02-16-15, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I want to believe you but the numbers on the meter don't lie. Take a reading for yourself. Over a concrete causeway I'm hitting 82 db. On regular freshly paved smooth new road 75 db. These tires are fairly new and have the better postage size gram weights on it for optimum balance.

All else equal, and especially with fairly new tires, it's generally normal for there to be more audible road noise on concrete than on smoothly-paved, on-porous asphalt. It's also normal for there to be more road noise on porous (anti-skid) dark asphalt surfaces than traditional smoothed ones.
Old 02-16-15, 08:11 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wind noise I can live with. That's really true of all SUV. Even the Mazda CX-9 which we looked at and liked aesthetically was fairly loud with it's very slanted pillars that are the steepest I've seen. It's the "roar" of the road noise coming through the floor and wheel wells that is MOST annoying.
After experiencing no wind noise and a very low unintrusive rumble on my ML350 courtesy of Dunlop Grandtrek Touring A/S, I am spoiled.
Funnily, when I had to replace tires, I went with the more expensive higher rated Pirelli tires, but they produced high pitch road noise when going over rough surface old concrete roads. After 5000 miles, I took it back to discount tires and they were generous enough to switch them with the OEM cheaper Dunlop Grandtrek Touring A/S for no extra charge.

Lesson Learned: Buy tires for which the vehicle's sound insulation and NVH characteristics are designed around.

Last edited by chikoo; 02-16-15 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 10:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my 3IS was eerily quiet compared to my 2IS, so I had to get an exhaust

Quick Reply: Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?