Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

S63 finally arrived.

Old 02-13-15, 10:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I have heard that the S63 coupe's ride is firmer than the S500 coupe, which is firmer than the S500 sedan, and that the comfort mode is the only desirable way to go with normal driving in city or highway with the S63 coupe, just want to know if that's the case for the S63 sedan, which I assume, should have a slightly softer suspension tuning than the S63 coupe ?

Edit *** the above is for American models, I just remember your car is RWD, so does it have the magic body control ? ... which is unavailable for the 4matic only S500 and S63 here in North America ......

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-13-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 04:05 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I have heard that the S63 coupe's ride is firmer than the S500 coupe, which is firmer than the S500 sedan, and that the comfort mode is the only desirable way to go with normal driving in city or highway with the S63 coupe, just want to know if that's the case for the S63 sedan, which I assume, should have a slightly softer suspension tuning than the S63 coupe ?

Edit *** the above is for American models, I just remember your car is RWD, so does it have the magic body control ? ... which is unavailable for the 4matic only S500 and S63 here in North America ......
Yes the rear wheel drive AMG has the Magic body control. I am finding that the comfort mode is plenty stiff enough both around town and on the highway. It is quite a bit stiffer than the LS, but then again that thing bounces around all over the place compared.
Old 02-13-15, 05:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Yes the rear wheel drive AMG has the Magic body control. I am finding that the comfort mode is plenty stiff enough both around town and on the highway. It is quite a bit stiffer than the LS, but then again that thing bounces around all over the place compared.
haha come on now, the LS can't be a comparison here.

if you can recall your ISF, how would you rate? though i think the ISF is a lot stiffer since it was a 2008.
Old 02-13-15, 06:52 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
haha come on now, the LS can't be a comparison here.

if you can recall your ISF, how would you rate? though i think the ISF is a lot stiffer since it was a 2008.
LOL! Yes , the IS-F was much stiffer and barometer I am using is the wife. She hated that cars ride ,but loves this cars ride. I am also really impressed as the roads around here are terrible.

Another thing is how you feel like you are in your own little space if that makes any sense. Also, at first I was not a fan of this, but the sides of the seat move to add support when cornering. At first it was a distraction, but when you relax when going around a corner you are firmly planted in the seat which makes control a lot easier. I am hating getting back into the LS to drive to work, never though I could say something like that.
Old 02-13-15, 06:54 PM
Piraiba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW...... amazing
Old 02-13-15, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

LOL! Yes , the IS-F was much stiffer and barometer I am using is the wife. She hated that cars ride ,but loves this cars ride. I am also really impressed as the roads around here are terrible.

You aren't kidding about the ride of early (2008) IS-F models. I reviewed one in the spring of 2008 (still remember it)....over frost-heaves and warps in the road, the rear suspension was so stiff that, even at moderate speeds, over some of the larger warps/cracks, the rear wheels actually came off the ground maybe half an inch before bouncing back down again. I could feel the steering corrections needed when the rear end skittered just slightly sideways. It was (arguably) tied with the Mitsubishi Evo for the worst-riding sedan I had ever experienced. Fortunately, changes to the suspension were made the following year. There's no way in h*** that an S63 suspension would be that harsh, even in the full-sport-mode.....I'm sure your wife can easily tell the difference.
Old 02-13-15, 09:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Another thing is how you feel like you are in your own little space if that makes any sense. Also, at first I was not a fan of this, but the sides of the seat move to add support when cornering. At first it was a distraction, but when you relax when going around a corner you are firmly planted in the seat which makes control a lot easier. I am hating getting back into the LS to drive to work, never though I could say something like that.
i can relate on the "own little space". that's somewhat how i felt when we had the s550 too, and i can only imagine the w222 being even better.

the side bolster inflation is an awesome feature i think. the m5 i drove at the m school had it and gosh, it was fantastic. i never "moved" in my seat

you are driving a dream
Old 02-13-15, 10:09 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

one of my patients who plays for the Bears just traded in his Bentley for an S63. said it was the smartest move he's ever made. same color as yours and has the red calipers...dont know about the color of the stock rims because he's sitting on vossen CV3's

congrats on a fantastic car!!!
Old 02-15-15, 11:20 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also know that MB Japan offers an option to raise the top speed to 300 km/h.

But I reckon that it's useless in Japan.....especially when they strictly enforce a slow @$$ 100 km/h speed limit on Wangan Highway
Old 02-15-15, 05:18 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

i can relate on the "own little space". that's somewhat how i felt when we had the s550 too, and i can only imagine the w222 being even better.

the side bolster inflation is an awesome feature i think. the m5 i drove at the m school had it and gosh, it was fantastic. i never "moved" in my seat

you are driving a dream
I am really starting to like the side supports more and more. The touch pad on the center console is a little finicky for me, but does come in handy.

Originally Posted by DrRick
one of my patients who plays for the Bears just traded in his Bentley for an S63. said it was the smartest move he's ever made. same color as yours and has the red calipers...dont know about the color of the stock rims because he's sitting on vossen CV3's

congrats on a fantastic car!!!
That is good news, I am glad I went with this car, even though I was unable to test drive a Bentley.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I also know that MB Japan offers an option to raise the top speed to 300 km/h.

But I reckon that it's useless in Japan.....especially when they strictly enforce a slow @$$ 100 km/h speed limit on Wangan Highway
I don't drive that fast on the highway, maybe 130km to 140km when passing someone, I am more of a get to the speed limit as fast as possible type driver (Of coarse when it is safe to do so) So, I don't really see the need to have it lifted.
Old 02-15-15, 06:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Any plans on getting rid of the LS? Can't imagine having two large luxury sedans.
Old 02-15-15, 10:42 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Any plans on getting rid of the LS? Can't imagine having two large luxury sedans.
Not currently as I use it for going to and for work. I have to oversee quite a few different locations and I will use the LS for that. The S63 is for my wife, she ferry's the kids around on weekdays and I will use it on the weekends for what ever we do as a family. These days, I rarely can do anything by myself as there is always something that the kids want to do.

I have not put it in my sig, but we also have a Vellfire on air suspension that the wife uses for carting the dogs around. Still the 21" are not a comfortable ride.

Old 02-16-15, 05:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

gosh, vellfire!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-15, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I am glad I went with this car, even though I was unable to test drive a Bentley.

Bentleys, like their Rolls-Royce cousins, have marvelous interiors, and excel in comfort with generally better handling than a Rolls (assuming,of course, that Jeeves is not doing the driving) , but, for a number of reasons (a sparse dealer network being one of them) can be a PITA to own. You will probably be happier with the Mercedes in the long run, though if you plan to keep it past the standard factory warranty, you might (?) want to consider an extension. Mercedes parts and repairs/service, especially on their top models, can eat one up....but, then, of course, so can Bentley's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-15 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 02:11 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

gosh, vellfire!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about the pic, I asked my wife to take it for the above post and she was out with the dogs. I have to admit it is a nice car.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Bentleys, like their Rolls-Royce cousins, have marvelous interiors, and excel in comfort with generally better handling than a Rolls (assuming,of course, that Jeeves is not doing the driving) , but, for a number of reasons (a sparse dealer network being one of them) can be a PITA to own. You will probably be happier with the Mercedes in the long run, though if you plan to keep it past the standard factory warranty, you might (?) want to consider an extension. Mercedes parts and repairs/service, especially on their top models, can eat one up....but, then, of course, so can Bentley's.
Never thought of the sparse dealers network, but you are absolutely correct, it would be such a pain to have to travel close to 3 hours to the nearest dealer when the S63 is only 15mins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S63 finally arrived.