Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus salesperson - yearly earnings ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 08:00 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
so maybe it's better to slip the salesman a hundred "tip", if that's legal ?

hell, I'll pay the salesguy his cut if it means a bigger discount for me.
I have been tipped many times. But I don't help that person get a better deal than the next guy. How could if I don't know they are going to tip. On the occasion someone tells me in advance they are going to tip, I tell them it isn't necessary.
I've also been given wine/champagne, neck ties, even electronic devices.
We work hard when selling a car. Running around the lot. Dealing with family drama. Dealing with customers who lie way more than salesmen. People who tip are saying "thanks" for all you do.
But just saying thanks and meaning it feels good too. But putting your money where your mouth is speaks volumes.
Old 03-19-15, 08:27 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wven if they did tip you ahead, there isn't much you could have done dor them as far as getting a berry deal. You could have given them an advice on negotiation but thats about it.
Originally Posted by Ice350
I have been tipped many times. But I don't help that person get a better deal than the next guy. How could if I don't know they are going to tip. On the occasion someone tells me in advance they are going to tip, I tell them it isn't necessary.
I've also been given wine/champagne, neck ties, even electronic devices.
We work hard when selling a car. Running around the lot. Dealing with family drama. Dealing with customers who lie way more than salesmen. People who tip are saying "thanks" for all you do.
But just saying thanks and meaning it feels good too. But putting your money where your mouth is speaks volumes.
Old 03-19-15, 11:35 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

now if the tip is greater than the profit-in-your-pocket you would make otherwise, it is worth considering. Might have to split it with your manager though.
Old 03-19-15, 01:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

great thread and insight. thanks all.
Old 03-19-15, 02:05 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

do you guys find that consumers know a whole lot about competitor cars?

on the flip side, I would think a salesman would have to know a lot about the competition to be able to upsell their own products.

Too often I find that salesmen don't know squat about what they're selling, or they waste time trying to know what I do for a living.
You should be asking me what I'm looking for in a car.
and the money is in the follow up. Gotta keep track of customers and make those sales calls.
Old 03-19-15, 03:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do you guys find that consumers know a whole lot about competitor cars?

on the flip side, I would think a salesman would have to know a lot about the competition to be able to upsell their own products.

Too often I find that salesmen don't know squat about what they're selling, or they waste time trying to know what I do for a living.
You should be asking me what I'm looking for in a car.
and the money is in the follow up. Gotta keep track of customers and make those sales calls.
Customers appreciate my overall knowledge of cars. First time Lexus buyers usually are cross-shopping. I try to say something positive about the competition to appear objective. The bottom line is Lexus is #1 in reliability, resale and safety. Consumer reports says so....and so do I. (Yes, I really use that line).
When I tell customers I have been driving Lexus since 2001, long before ever thinking about selling them, they are impressed.
I'm so busy talking about the cars I don't get around to asking what they do for a living until I see it on the credit application.

There are many customers who don't care about product knowledge though. They only care the salesman is from the same ethnic background. I won't reveal the group because I don't want to start something.
Old 03-19-15, 03:27 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a car salesman at Subaru for two years before leaving the field and finishing up my business degree. I loved the job just not the customers lying to you and trying to put 2-3 dealerships one against the other. Multiple times I've explained the whole buying process to clients, when I told them I could not get X,Y car, they would put a deposit down at another dealership only to be told 2-3 months later that they could not get the car. Multiple times I've told people who were looking for a product we clearly didn't carry (cars or CUVs that could tow more than 3000 pounds while you could technically tow 2500pounds with an Outback 6 cylinder) to go shop for that or that car. People were often confused but they really appreciated my honesty and my feedback and while I might not have sold them a car, they refered much more than what I would have done selling them one car. In fact, I've left that particular dealership 4 years ago and people are still coming in to talk to me.

I was lucky enough to work in a family dealership and they did let me get away with a single lie that I wasn't really proud of but I learned to always tell the truth and to never discredit any products the competition sold. I did a lot more than 45K/year for my 2 years (thats in canada), so I think it really depends on the company you're selling and how the market is.
Old 03-20-15, 05:59 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
I was a car salesman at Subaru for two years before leaving the field and finishing up my business degree. I loved the job just not the customers lying to you and trying to put 2-3 dealerships one against the other. Multiple times I've explained the whole buying process to clients, when I told them I could not get X,Y car, they would put a deposit down at another dealership only to be told 2-3 months later that they could not get the car. Multiple times I've told people who were looking for a product we clearly didn't carry (cars or CUVs that could tow more than 3000 pounds while you could technically tow 2500pounds with an Outback 6 cylinder) to go shop for that or that car. People were often confused but they really appreciated my honesty and my feedback and while I might not have sold them a car, they refered much more than what I would have done selling them one car. In fact, I've left that particular dealership 4 years ago and people are still coming in to talk to me.

I was lucky enough to work in a family dealership and they did let me get away with a single lie that I wasn't really proud of but I learned to always tell the truth and to never discredit any products the competition sold. I did a lot more than 45K/year for my 2 years (thats in canada), so I think it really depends on the company you're selling and how the market is.
One of the major reasons why customers are being forced to lie is because dealers lie first! I was going to buy a car one time, and the salesman told me that they give loaners, when i boight the car, i was informed there is no such things. This kinda crap dealers pull all the time. There is a guy on this forum who was told via email that the price was $54.5 but when he got there they sold him at $58.5 Msrp. So yeah, People lie, I dont feel bad about lying to the dealership!

The reason why salesman dont know the product is because most of salesman dont stay more than 6 month atmone dealership. They hop
Around, and they have to re learn new product every 4-6 month. You will find 2-5 top salesman who actually have been at the dealership for over 5 years and they will know the product inside out.
Old 03-20-15, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
One of the major reasons why customers are being forced to lie is because dealers lie first!
i always say that anyone walking into a car dealership has to realize the skilled salesperson (whether ethical or not) knows more about the person walking in during the first two minutes than that person knows about themself as far as what they can buy, what they know, what they likely will buy, how much they're likely to negotiate, etc.

it's a big game of poker, and most consumers are like a sucker walking into a big vegas game - they have no clue at all. i just find the process of buying cars so painful, and on my recent experience i found that different dealers (even ones that seem on the up and up) write the 'deal' up completely differently, making it hard to compare, with all these different discounts and fees and taxes that don't seem to correspond with any particular amount mentioned... at one place i ended up bringing in my laptop with a spreadsheet to make sense of it (as best i could) based on what i knew.

and don't get me started about how bad car dealer websites are and how bad the 'lead tracking' systems are they use. one thing that drives me crazy - the web forms that ask for contact info so they can let you know their internet deal for a SPECIFIC model/trim, etc. they also ask if you want to be contacted by email, phone, etc. when i'd specify email i ALWAYS got a phonecall. second of all, they ALWAYS offered a price on a vehicle that was NOT what i asked for.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-20-15 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-20-15, 01:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what happens if you sell all your cars at "invoice" ?

customer is usually happy if he doesn't know better,
dealer makes SOME profit
you sell more cars.

Just on volume alone, $200 a pop, you should be closing $5-6k per month ?

Then the service dept makes all the money back for the money the sales dept gave away.

amirong?
Buyers, on the whole, are not savvy enough so that they all could get cars for invoice. Ask your friends and neighbors. See how many call even 5 dealers to get the bet price. I'll bet most people call no more than 3, and take the first offer they get that's less than MSRP. Even the more savvy buyer--I bet they see the "Internet Special" price, and they think "That's it--what a good deal and I didn't even have to negotiate."
Old 03-20-15, 02:01 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Buyers, on the whole, are not savvy enough so that they all could get cars for invoice. Ask your friends and neighbors. See how many call even 5 dealers to get the bet price. I'll bet most people call no more than 3, and take the first offer they get that's less than MSRP. Even the more savvy buyer--I bet they see the "Internet Special" price, and they think "That's it--what a good deal and I didn't even have to negotiate."
Yep. I agree. The younger generation is more educated in car sales
Old 03-20-15, 02:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Yep. I agree. The younger generation is more educated in car sales
I don't agree with it being about age--it's not a generational thing. People interested in cars are educated about them; people who can't be bothered, are not. I've met older people and younger people with good educations and a good head on their shoulders that just cringe at the car buying process and don't have the stomach for it. My neighbor is highly educated, and researches every purchase he makes--it took him 9 months to decide on a new washing machine--he agonized over top loading/front loading, blah blah blah. Then, in a span of 6 months, he needed 2 new cars. He went to one dealer for each--the closest to his house--with the Edmunds true price--and when the came close to it, he was done and out. Didn't even call another dealer.
Old 03-20-15, 04:47 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I didnt mean educates in general, i meant specificly in cars sales. That just my opinion, folks with best deal i uave seen are usually b/n 28-36
Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't agree with it being about age--it's not a generational thing. People interested in cars are educated about them; people who can't be bothered, are not. I've met older people and younger people with good educations and a good head on their shoulders that just cringe at the car buying process and don't have the stomach for it. My neighbor is highly educated, and researches every purchase he makes--it took him 9 months to decide on a new washing machine--he agonized over top loading/front loading, blah blah blah. Then, in a span of 6 months, he needed 2 new cars. He went to one dealer for each--the closest to his house--with the Edmunds true price--and when the came close to it, he was done and out. Didn't even call another dealer.
Old 03-20-15, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and don't get me started about how bad car dealer websites are and how bad the 'lead tracking' systems are they use. one thing that drives me crazy - the web forms that ask for contact info so they can let you know their internet deal for a SPECIFIC model/trim, etc. they also ask if you want to be contacted by email, phone, etc. when i'd specify email i ALWAYS got a phonecall. second of all, they ALWAYS offered a price on a vehicle that was NOT what i asked for.
Not only what you went through, but, more and more now, when you go onto dealer websites, looking over what is in stock (as I often do when I'm shopping with someone else or planning an MM review), salespeople will jump out onto the screen, from nowhere, with their Live Chat images, and try and get involved. If you quietly delete it, somebody else in the sales department will often jump in a few seconds later. I agree it can be annoying if not first requested...but that's just the way that a lot of dealerships operate (they assume that we're idiots and can't search for ourselves, or don't know what we're looking for). The flip side to it is that if you DO respond to the pop-up box, state your name (real or alias name) and ask whatever question you have, these people are usually super-polite....at least on-line. I have rarely encountered anyone, in recent years, on these lines, who was rude.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-15 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 06:01 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

They not salesman, well at least the ones i encounter with. They just like a call service where they take your info, then they give it to the dealeship.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only what you went through, but, more and more now, when you go onto dealer websites, looking over what is in stock (as I often do when I'm shopping with someone else or planning an MM review), salespeople will jump out onto the screen, from nowhere, with their Live Chat images, and try and get involved. If you quietly delete it, somebody else in the sales department will often jump in a few seconds later. I agree it can be annoying if not first requested...but that's just the way that a lot of dealerships operate (they often assume we're idiots and can't search for ourselves, or don't know what we're looking for). The flip side to it is that if you DO respond to the pop-up box, state your name (real or alias name) and ask whatever question you have, these people are usually super-polite....at least on-line. I have rarely encountered someone, in recent years, who was rude.

Quick Reply: Lexus salesperson - yearly earnings ?