Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus salesperson - yearly earnings ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 09:14 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wandl
Just adding my thoughts on this, having been on the dealership end of the business before (and knowing a good few at Lexus dealerships currently)

Average car salesperson $60k-$100k, tenured ones who have repeat customers upwards of $200k assuming working in a luxury brand like MB, BMW, Lexus. Keep in mind most salespeople would also get a portion of the finance profits (more on that below)

Finance managers $80-$120k in a luxury dealership because, as some has attested, gross margins on new cars aren't much, it usually is in the finance office. One of my last deals was a CPO Cadillac that grossed $2700 on the front end (difference between cost of vehicle and sales price) and $3400 on the back-end (financing incentives/kickbacks, GAP insurance, warranty).

Glassdoor is a great source (looked up Glassdoor salaries for high end dealers like Sewell or Park Place for me here in the Dallas area). Also keep in mind your service advisors also are "sales", they too have quotas and their compensation plans are more complex but they have numbers to hit....
Are you still in the profession? Doesn't seem to be the case and what's the reason you left the profession? Was 80-120k not enough as a retainer?
Old 03-04-15, 09:27 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexman83
WTF are you talking about? Where do you guys get this crap
I'm not sure what you are referring to but you seemed upset and confused. If you can't back up your claims with data, real numbers, or simply a screen shots of deposits, it's difficult for me to accept the claim that the average car sales person commands the CONSISTENT earning power greater than 75% of the NATION's work force.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tates_2012.png

PS- I happen to be a mod on another community with 17000 members and a local (Los Angeles) based community with ACTIVE 2700 users where we actually dine out, pace cars, and help each other out by exchanging information with civility, Just because you don't see me posting here often doesn't mean you should use that kind of language (i.e. WTF) with another fellow CL member. It only shows how easily rattled and ungrounded you decided to present yourself to be online.
Old 03-04-15, 09:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My father worked as a new car salesman at Honda. His earnings are pretty much inline with FastTag's assessment. $60k would have been on the higher end of the spectrum at his dealership. He ultimately left because his old company rehired him, even though his performance at the dealership was good. I can see someone making a lot more money if they sold fully optioned Porsches.
Old 03-04-15, 09:36 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This should help. These are Sewell's numbers

Old 03-16-15, 05:01 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up for you two. GSteg pretty much confirmed what I said. 60k is the high end, and not some of the posts here claimed "Average car salesperson $60k-$100k." I'm not trying to knock on anybody's honest living or earning btw...
Old 03-17-15, 10:08 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think there are prob no more than a couple of people at a dealership that really know what they have in a vehicle. No way profit is a measley $2000/car, probably more like 8-10k or more. Take the new Escalade ESV, MSRP 88k, Invoice 82k. I know I could buy one for significantly less than invoice. Are they losing money? No way. I bet would still make $15k off of me.
Old 03-17-15, 10:29 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...r-in-2014.html
Old 03-17-15, 11:52 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

first of all, i've never work in this industry before and probably never will. i just think too much is depending on your relationship with the sales manager. if he/she has some personal vendetta against you for whatever reason, then good luck, it'll be very easy to justify on his/her part not to approve that potential sales of yours.
Old 03-17-15, 12:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I think there are prob no more than a couple of people at a dealership that really know what they have in a vehicle. No way profit is a measley $2000/car, probably more like 8-10k or more. Take the new Escalade ESV, MSRP 88k, Invoice 82k. I know I could buy one for significantly less than invoice. Are they losing money? No way. I bet would still make $15k off of me.

I'm willing to bet there is a higher profit margin on an $88k SUV than a $40K ES350.
Old 03-17-15, 04:57 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$15k haha not a chance. On a $88k vehicle if they sell at $88k, then yeah you maybe looking at $8400 profit, but most people dont pay sticker. a GM car most folks buy at invoice, sometimes under Invoice especially if you are a GM employee or supplier or a GM family member they barely make anything, a few hundred at most. As I already said before the dealeship can make money in many different forms like: sales valume, sales, service, additional packages etc..
Old 03-17-15, 05:04 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
first of all, i've never work in this industry before and probably never will. i just think too much is depending on your relationship with the sales manager. if he/she has some personal vendetta against you for whatever reason, then good luck, it'll be very easy to justify on his/her part not to approve that potential sales of yours.
i would agree to disagree. GM are very simple when it comes to sales personal. If you are not liked, they will let you go quick. In auto sales industry People dont stay very long at one dealeship. They always hiring and people always leave because they cant make any $$
Old 03-17-15, 07:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

dealer does not make that kind of profit... invoice is a joke anyway, but in general dealers dont make more than 12% on expensive cars, and thats full margin. Nobody buys cars at full prices anyway.

Car sales is like many other sales jobs. You have to do it for a long time to really make money and if you do, then you will be making money.

Anyone expecting to walk in to any sales job without prior experience and contacts, and make big money - thats just pipe dream. You have to build relationships and customer base for 3-4-5 years at least before you see good sales. Thats just common sense and is applicable to any sales job.
Old 03-17-15, 07:23 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a Lexus salesman and I assure you all I am not a crook. After a long career in social work i wanted to do something fun. I am having a blast.
Salesmen at our store make a wide range of salaries.
It's as low as 40K and as high as 150K. We have about 3 guys making more than that.
But it is not easy at all.
Old 03-17-15, 09:09 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

what happens if you sell all your cars at "invoice" ?

customer is usually happy if he doesn't know better,
dealer makes SOME profit
you sell more cars.

Just on volume alone, $200 a pop, you should be closing $5-6k per month ?

Then the service dept makes all the money back for the money the sales dept gave away.

amirong?
Old 03-18-15, 05:15 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Then the sales people wont make sny$. On cars that sold at invoice or a few above, salesman makes $100-$150 that is if its not a split. The dealeship must utilize the ful potential, or they go bust

Originally Posted by pman6
what happens if you sell all your cars at "invoice" ?

customer is usually happy if he doesn't know better,
dealer makes SOME profit
you sell more cars.

Just on volume alone, $200 a pop, you should be closing $5-6k per month ?

Then the service dept makes all the money back for the money the sales dept gave away.

amirong?

Last edited by FastTags; 03-18-15 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus salesperson - yearly earnings ?